Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-04-2015, 12:57 PM
  2. Is Direct to Garment printing getting rid of transfer printing?
    By Pascale in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-04-2013, 06:00 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mug printing going (reasonably) well, next step.....

Hi guys, after a year of starts and stops followed by reboots when energy levels equalled enthusiasm I've now got my mug printing going fine, I'd like to be able to offer additional items like coasters etc so have just ordered small flat bed press to try my hand. One thing I'm mystified by is the requirement for cutters-are these just for t-shirt etc printing of vinyls or can they be used for other things? I'm using a Ricoh printer at the moment with sub inks, if I ventured into vinyl, is there a dummies guide for what I can do with it etc? Seems more complicated than my mug setup!
    Oh, and Merry Christmas!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vinyl cutter is well suited to t-shirts as it can be used to contour cut around a transfer or can cut designs and text from vinyl for pressing on to shirts. However there are pots of other things that vinyl can be used for such as signs, vehicles for businesses, wall art, window displays etc etc depends on the size of the cutter

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i purchased a silhouette cameo after starting with sublimation, i then finished the year doing vinyl 99% of the time and very little sub stuff. in the new year im going to concentrate a bit more on sub again as i think the both can run along side each other. vinyl will produce many more options with t-shirts, wall art is also popular,, give vinyl a go but keep on with the mugs,,

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies - to be clear ( 'coz I'm struggling a bit!) - if I buy a cutter, am I right in thinking they cut vinyl, flock(?) etc - and how do I produce the designs? - do I just print something from the ricoh, or do I need another printer with different inkset? or do you connect pc to cutter? - when I have the design produced I'm assuming it just goes in the same heat press I will be using for coasters? - is it this straightforward or am I missing something?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah - and Dave, I was looking at the Cameo cutter - worth a punt then, looks like a good piece of kit!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ck1.....I'll try clarifying things for you.

Depending on your cutter then yes it will cut those for you.
    Regarding cutting it depends on what software/cutter you are using or intending to use. You'll need a software programme, something like Corel draw which will handle the graphics 'and' communicate with your cutter. This is because in the design software you nominate a specific colour which your cutter will recognise as a 'cut line'.

If I explain my set up maybe it will clear things up for you.
    Graphtec CE5000-60 cutter
    Corel Draw X3
    Versacamm SP300 Printer/cutter.

I finalise my design and if just cut vinyl I select 'cut' in Corel, it sends the command to the management programme. I select my Graphtec cutter which opens the cutter management programme. I then set the parameters, select cut and away it goes.

If doing print/cut I save my design in Corel as an eps file. Open the Versacamm management programme. Import the image, select the required parameter and click print.
    This machine then does what is asked of it......either print only, cut only or more often than not...print/cut.

You'll see that for vinyl your Ricoh is not used. Hopefully this helps a bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice reply Roger
    also if he bought the cameo he could literally open up the software that comes free with it, write any text/word/slogan you like and click cut. this will then cut out the shape you have just written or put into the software and then its just a simple press onto a cotton or similar garment
    ps this is just a idiots guide......plain and simple..
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use inkscape and signcut I have Corel draw but I prefer unkscape as its simpler although it seems to have some issues with allowing me to use certain fonts in this instance I set up in Corel draw paste into inkscape and trace bitmap and export to sign cut flip the image check dimensions are correct then cut. When I need to cut out a transfer I tend to use the crappy laser on my cutter and print my image with registration marks line up laser pointer with registration mark and cut. Its pretty simple really

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys - it's a bit clearer now!
    so, I can carry on with mugs on ricoh/mug press as normal
    use heatpress for ricoh produced designs for coasters/mousey mats/slates etc and also tshirts if polyester(??)
    use cutter for producing vinyl/flock for heatpressing onto any clothing(?)

one last thing to clear up, can I also print onto transfer paper for heat pressing designs onto clothing using ricoh and sub inks or do I need another prnter(I have an Epson r1800 sitting around at the moment...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need another printer for transfer papers for cotton an espson with durabrite ink is recommended for inkjet transfers for white garments I'd recommend checking yolo's website for soft stretch papers