Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Chalk board mugs
    By AlanD in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-02-2015, 08:22 AM
  2. Best Sign Board To Use?
    By BarryWalker in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 08:14 PM
  3. Coaster - HD Board from TMT
    By Paul in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 23-09-2011, 09:59 AM
  4. Sign Board wanted ...........
    By AdamB in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-02-2011, 01:09 PM
  5. Newbie on board!
    By busybusybee in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-09-2010, 02:13 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulp board ...can you sublimate it?

I have come across some blank coasters made from what they are calling pulp board. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how and or if this can be sublimated?? Just curious at this stage Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can sublimate almost anything if it will stand 200 degrees celsius for a minute or so, as long as you can coat it with a polyester that will hold the dye. Whether it is practical to do so depends on a lot of things.
    The coating formula is not cheap, but it is readily available from a number of suppliers. It might be cheaper and simpler to just buy ready to sublimate coasters?
    Unless like me you sublimate stuff as a hobby when you're not making stuff to sell.

This company sells different formulas to sublimate different types of substrates. The video tells you one way to use it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLxiWi5Be-k

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Try it!
    Depending on the chemicals to bind the (wood/paper?) fibres/pulp together used you may get lucky with them being polymer based and it sublimates fantastically, or at worst and probably most realistically, the sublimated images will be faded/washed out and not very sharp - however I have seen people selling coasters with such a look, so if you plan your artwork accordingly you may have a nice end product, though you'd have a nicer product with a more 'real' wood, where the wood grain is visible through the print.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention that the mob that supply the product in the video offer a variation that makes a whitish base to sublimate to so the image is more visible. Worth reading up on their stuff. I can vouch for them being genuine. They respond promptly to questions by email and on ebay. I can also vouch for the stuff being fairly expensive :-) And I would add that it is not quite as simple as it seems in the video.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ...I am looking at a possible one of use. So really not thinking the coating is an option. As I want to keep costs super low on this. Although I am very appreciative to have the information Thank you rossdv8
    Pisquee. Thanks I think I will try it. A faded washed out look might even work?? Appreciate your input. Thank you!