Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Data Protection
    By liannef in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23-04-2015, 07:35 AM
  2. Jet Pro Question
    By pieces in forum Transfers & Transfer Papers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2015, 04:14 PM
  3. Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000
    By funkey monkey in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-04-2014, 09:19 PM
  4. paypal buyer protection is 180 days instead of 45 days from june.
    By viccar in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18-04-2014, 01:52 AM
  5. Paypal protection my A*"'#
    By Mattie in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UV protection question

Hi,
    I am looking for some advice on UV protection for dye sub prints. I'm printing on tiles, using a ricoh/sawgrass-subli set up and a stahls press. So no cheapo stuff in the chain.

My tiles are not for outdoor use, they are for interior use so I'm not sure if I need to protect them as they won't be in bright sunlight, not in the UK anyroad, but if they are going to fade noticeably in an 18 month period I need to think hard about how to prevent this. People will be buying them as framed art pieces ( I hope ) so this is a serious concern for me.

I have searched the forum and found the ref to the digicoat UV spray. Now, i am wondering if other UV sprays will work just as well, such as those used on inkjet prints. I guess i am wondering if there is a chemical reason why you need a particular kind of UV varnish or whether it works by simply forming a barrier against UV light. In which case, a good inkjet varnish might do the trick.

Any advice gratefully received,
    Jon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Frog Juice before on tiles outside. Works ok. It extends the life, but won't protect it for any great length of time. Indoor use I would say it wouldn't be required, especially if it isn't in direct sunlight

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that ;-) I have seen someone selling dye sub prints on aluminium, who mentions that a UV protection film is used on her prints. Google comes up with stuff for windows to stop your furniture fading but nothing specifically for artworks, though one site has a promo shot of people looking at pictures in a gallery so I guess it may be useful for that. . . Anyone out there heard of UV protection film for use in this context?
    best,
    Jon

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally I would not bother with UV protection on your tiles. I would just state something along the lines of "Avoid placing/hanging in direct sunlight" and that will suffice. After all, none of us coat mugs once printed and they are a ceramic indoor product. Likewise if someone purchases an oil painting, they would never consider placing this in sunlight, no one seems to complain about that so I do not think they would complain about the tile.

I think the more important thing is to ensure you purchase tiles with a good quality dye sub coating on them and then you will be fine.

Good luck.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks socialgiraffe,
    I think my fear was that they would fade like a cheap inkjet print does. I'm glad you think my worries are somewhat exaggerated. I will have a disclaimer about direct sunlight as part of the care info. phew. . . tiles from BMS so good quality. Hopefully they will fade like an expensive inkjet print does. .
    On a positive note, a gallery and craft place in Haddenham ( north of Cambridge ) called Haddenham Gallery and Craft Centre has taken about ten of them in frames for inclusion in a show called "A Splash of Colour". They really liked them and cleaned me out of my small stock of frames, so I am encouraged, and when my next batch of frames arrive I will try some other places ;-) Let's hope they can sell some.

What are the water levels like up your way? Is The Wash awash?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi JB

I actually think they will last even longer than an expensive ink jet so you are good to go :-) Glad to hear that there are some galleries interested. If I were you I would head east as well towards places like Southwold. Very pretty and very expensive/exclusive area.

No water problems here whatsoever. As you probably know, the rivers around the fens are the most heavily managed rivers in the UK because of the agriculture. Over 40% of the countries vegetables are grown here so I do not see anyone dragging their feet should such a terrible thing happen here!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of trying further afield as the next step from local places. Southwold and Aldborough etc would be a good bet I think, you are right. I have Cambridge nearby and Saffron Walden and Bury St Edmunds to try as well. I need to go for the well-heeled demographic ;-) You know, like Stevenage. . .

Yeah, they know about water management in the Fens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the Haddenham Gallery sold 3 of my framed tiles since Friday. I know that's a silly little amount for you guys, but it's actually pretty good for the arty stuff market ;-) I'm well pleased. There's always that thing in the back of your mind when you are producing stuff as an artist, that nobody would possibly fork out good money for what you do. I'm so pleased that I ordered some glass coasters to try out. . . ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bloomin superb mate :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomorrow, the WOOOOOOOORLD! ;-)