Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. are any of the cheaper (as in 'ebay') cutters worth it?
    By gavtheoldskater in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM
  2. anyone know about desktop/cheaper laser engravors?
    By gavtheoldskater in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 10:27 AM
  3. cheaper square coasters cork backed
    By Kyebie in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 11:15 AM
  4. It Just Gets Cheaper!
    By John G in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gary, I'm going to try and hang on and be patient. Wont be easy though, my cutter and bits n bobs are arriving tomorrow. Will be sat there tormenting me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, neither do I but that is because there are people constantly checking and buying them all up ;-)

I will buy some if/when I see them as there is always someone looking for a good press on here.

I will use my Ricoh and standard inks.. bee researching and maybe this may not be as simple as I first hoped :(
    Last edited by NikGrey; 26-03-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    My website is open:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Using FlexiStarter 10 and a Liyu SC631e & a Silhouette Cameo cutter. 2x Ricoh SG3110dn printers and Adkins Auto Clam press. Using Sublijet-r from Sawgrass.
    ..And I have gotten my money's worth out of this forum - saved Hundreds by being a Premium Member
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<-- IF you like this post PLEASE add to my reputation by clicking the 'Star' below this post on the Left :)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGrey View Post
    No, neither do I but that is because there are people constantly checking and buying them all up ;-)
    Don't know what you mean! ;-)
    We missed out on the last one that went for £109 though - forgot to bid - D'oh!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a cheap chinese press go for the clam press for the time being, the reason being is beacuse the swing press is not sturdy its held by one screw and wobbles, if you have around £350 however i would wait for something good to come on ebay you may grab your self a bargain mate.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Please hold out for a used good press - as mentioned Ebay usually has a good selection of used Adkins (proper UK made Beta range, not the newer Chinese ones), Insta (USA Adkins equivilent), Jarin/Europa (another UK press company making Clam style presses) Rarely there are also PressMech, and these usually go ridiculously cheaply as they aren't so recognisable, and most users don't seem to know what make/model they are to be able to advertise them properly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a tad unfair to uniformly equate 'cheap' to mean tat. Inexpensive machines can offer good value for money and a good starting point for beginners. Obviously you just need to hunt out these inexpensive deals and sort the wheat from the chaff.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    On the whole I agree, and rarely use the term 'cheap' to denote anything except low cost, but having used low cost Chinese made presses, and more high end UK and USA produced presses, I would say that the Chinese ones do feel inferior in quality in comparison. The one exception to this, is what is referred to on AliBaba as a "Korean Swinging Head Press" which was a heavy and well built swing away press, much higher quality then the cheap Chinese clams and swings.
    When used presses from Adkins, Insta, PressMech and Jarin can go for less than you pay for a cheap flimsy Chinese model, I would always recommend getting a good quality used model, rather than something low-end and cheap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear what you're saying regarding flimsy designs, as a previous poster mentioned I think you're more likely to see that with the swing presses. But I can also say from experience that I have seen some pretty sturdy Chinese clam presses, maybe not the prettiest, but well built. And as important, even temperature distribution across the whole platen, even pressure when engaged and accurate temperature display on the control box. I think the 'unknown quantity' factor is always a problem with the cheaper presses, once bitten twice shy and all that.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    There was a PressMech that ended a month ago for £109, light use too, why waste money on dodgy Chinese stuff?
    Just got another PressMech on Ebay ... buy it now for a grand sum of £20! It is in need of some repair work though as some bits missing, but they're easy to tear down and rebuild.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pisquee View Post
    Just got another PressMech on Ebay ... buy it now for a grand sum of £20! It is in need of some repair work though as some bits missing, but they're easy to tear down and rebuild.
    Thanks pisquee,

I just got an Adkins clam press off ebay for £390 bit more than I wanted to pay but my weekend is now free.