Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Mug press or 3d vacuum machine?
    By Cd1986 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-05-2016, 08:59 PM
  2. better mug press or 3d mini vacuum?
    By gavtheoldskater in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-12-2014, 09:44 PM
  3. 3d vacuum press advice?
    By Photomouse in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 06:10 PM
  4. Very large vacuum press on Ebay
    By pisquee in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-09-2013, 12:10 AM
  5. Hot Vacuum Glass Press
    By confidential in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-04-2010, 06:09 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3D vacuum press was better when it sucked :\

Forgive the bad word play in the subject; it's my first time actually posting here and I figured I'd break the ice with a joke... but forgot the joke and went for a bad pun instead.

Anyway... in November last year, I switched from years of vinyl t-shirt transfers to sublimation printing and got brave enough to buy a 3D vacuum press from BMS (the usual one - funny shape, comes in black, maroon and silver) and it's been doing great so far with something like twenty to thirty phone cases a week. Then, out of nowhere, it stopped sucking yesterday afternoon. If I pressed the vacuum frame down hard enough, it would maybe get enough of a vacuum to at least tighten the membrane a BIT but that's all. Then, this morning (after I'd closed all my phone case listings on eBay, Etsy and Amazon), I got up to find two more orders that had managed to slip through as they were pending on Amazon when I cancelled the listings and never noticed.

Not being one to let people down, I figured I'd do these last two cases until I could figure out what to do... but I was literally getting NO vacuum whatsoever. In the end, I had to think on my feet and used ten strips of tape to hold the paper to the case, managing to get those two cases done. They're not 100% perfect, and I've apologised to the customers and promised them replacements once I get myself sorted, but it was all I could do.

I tried replacing the hose, replacing the membrane, and even checking to see if the filter had water in it but nothing made any difference. The bundle I bought from BMS didn't come with any technical instructions other than the very vague quick-start guide with the various temperatures, so I have no idea what else it could possibly be. It does state in the quick-start guide that if you have an issue with loss of suction then it could be that the connections to the filter are loose or that you should change the filter... but I can't find any replacement filters anywhere and there's no obvious way to change it unless it means the entire filter mechanism.

So if anyone has any idea what I can do here, I'd appreciate it. The machine isn't even six months old yet but it came with no warranty information and I couldn't see any on the BMS site.. but they no longer have these machines for sale, so I don't hold out much hope in being able to get it repaired or replaced. I spent all of last night and today shopping around and the cheapest I can find a brand new replacement is from Signzworld on eBay at £630 including shipping. I don't particularly want to buy a new one as I literally only started to sell cases in February so haven't even made back the initial outlay (full bundle with jigs etc, which I think was around £1300) and having to buy another machine in order to keep producing the cases would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

Anyway, any help would be great if anyone knows how these things can be tested/repaired and if you know anyone who sells new units at around £600 ish with a warranty (as I now don't trust the machines) that'd be awesome. Or if you can recommend a different type of 3D vacuum press (not the new ones that look like deep fat fryers though) that won't cost the earth, I'd be happy to look into them. As it stands just now, my income has just dropped by 80% for as long as I can't produce these cases (surprisingly, as my cases started to sell, my t-shirts, sweatshirts, mousemats and prints stopped selling!) so I need to get something sorted quickly.

Thanks!

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyGamer View Post
    Forgive the bad word play in the subject; it's my first time actually posting here and I figured I'd break the ice with a joke... but forgot the joke and went for a bad pun instead.

Anyway... in November last year, I switched from years of vinyl t-shirt transfers to sublimation printing and got brave enough to buy a 3D vacuum press from BMS (the usual one - funny shape, comes in black, maroon and silver) and it's been doing great so far with something like twenty to thirty phone cases a week. Then, out of nowhere, it stopped sucking yesterday afternoon. If I pressed the vacuum frame down hard enough, it would maybe get enough of a vacuum to at least tighten the membrane a BIT but that's all. Then, this morning (after I'd closed all my phone case listings on eBay, Etsy and Amazon), I got up to find two more orders that had managed to slip through as they were pending on Amazon when I cancelled the listings and never noticed.

Not being one to let people down, I figured I'd do these last two cases until I could figure out what to do... but I was literally getting NO vacuum whatsoever. In the end, I had to think on my feet and used ten strips of tape to hold the paper to the case, managing to get those two cases done. They're not 100% perfect, and I've apologised to the customers and promised them replacements once I get myself sorted, but it was all I could do.

I tried replacing the hose, replacing the membrane, and even checking to see if the filter had water in it but nothing made any difference. The bundle I bought from BMS didn't come with any technical instructions other than the very vague quick-start guide with the various temperatures, so I have no idea what else it could possibly be. It does state in the quick-start guide that if you have an issue with loss of suction then it could be that the connections to the filter are loose or that you should change the filter... but I can't find any replacement filters anywhere and there's no obvious way to change it unless it means the entire filter mechanism.

So if anyone has any idea what I can do here, I'd appreciate it. The machine isn't even six months old yet but it came with no warranty information and I couldn't see any on the BMS site.. but they no longer have these machines for sale, so I don't hold out much hope in being able to get it repaired or replaced. I spent all of last night and today shopping around and the cheapest I can find a brand new replacement is from Signzworld on eBay at £630 including shipping. I don't particularly want to buy a new one as I literally only started to sell cases in February so haven't even made back the initial outlay (full bundle with jigs etc, which I think was around £1300) and having to buy another machine in order to keep producing the cases would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

Anyway, any help would be great if anyone knows how these things can be tested/repaired and if you know anyone who sells new units at around £600 ish with a warranty (as I now don't trust the machines) that'd be awesome. Or if you can recommend a different type of 3D vacuum press (not the new ones that look like deep fat fryers though) that won't cost the earth, I'd be happy to look into them. As it stands just now, my income has just dropped by 80% for as long as I can't produce these cases (surprisingly, as my cases started to sell, my t-shirts, sweatshirts, mousemats and prints stopped selling!) so I need to get something sorted quickly.

Thanks!

Mark
    It sounds like you need a new vacuum pump. I know where to get one overseas but not sure if anyone stocks in UK.

I have only 1 spare pump which I'm reluctant to part with. A new pump is prob' about £100 all in at a guess but I can look into it if nobody here knows of a UK supply.
    Last edited by Ucase Ltd; 05-04-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man, you got me thinking with your unedited post ("Have you checked the hose coming from the pump for any splits?") so I opened up the back of the machine and went at it with pliers, pinching all the hoses. I did the same last night but there was one that I couldn't quite get to as it was so far behind everything else... but tonight I persevered and when I pinched it the vacuum gauge flew around to the red. Spent the next half hour or so with my wife wrestling the machine open, getting to where we thought the hose might go and, sure enough, at the point where it attaches to the actual vacuum chamber (the bottom heating element), it had split around the screw. Snipped that part off, re-attached it, tested it while it was still lying open and the vacuum was working again. Got the machine back together and performed a test case, which came out perfect.

It's actually better than it was when I got it as I never managed to get the vacuum around to the red before whereas this time it flew round and the membrane went entirely transparent for the first time ever.

So yeah, thanks for the extra nudge to give it another try.

M

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man, you got me thinking with your unedited post ("Have you checked the hose coming from the pump for any splits?") so I opened up the back of the machine and went at it with pliers, pinching all the hoses. I did the same last night bu...

M
    Awesome, glad I could help. I only edited cos when I read your post a second time I realised you already checked the hoses:-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BMS are on here regularly and if you bought it from them in November, i would be in contact with them as my first port of call
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The machine isn't even six months old yet but it came with no warranty information
    Have you spoken to the supplier to check the warranty terms?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Have you spoken to the supplier to check the warranty terms?
    All BMS machines come with 12 months return to base warranty and even out of warranty we support machines as much as we can. I can't comment if any email has been received by the office as I'm overseas at the moment, but our staff are there to help but glad it was a relatively easy fix :)