Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Printing problems D120
    By in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-03-2011, 08:15 AM
  2. Printing Problems
    By 0skar in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM
  3. Printing Problems
    By theemmanewman in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-11-2010, 09:40 PM
  4. Printing problems
    By MissyH in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM
  5. Mug printing problems
    By daxus in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27-07-2010, 03:22 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Mug Printing Problems

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to mug pressing & sublimation in general. The mugs I produce are sellable, but some of the colors are inconsistent - for example the colors will be faded towards the bottom/top - or sometimes in random spots. Basically they're not as high quality as in some of the videos that I have seen.

I'm currently using the ricoh 3110DN with sublimation inks and a refillable cartridge. The mugs are double coated (11oz) and I usually press them for around 2/3 mins on 356 fahrenheit on medium pressure. I use "subright" paper, could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refillable cartridges are probably your problem. What inks are they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're unbranded from Korea, the print looks fine on paper when it comes out of the printer.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I doubt the refill carts are the problem, although what's in them may be.
    If they're unbranded then you don't know what ink you actually have - it may be the best ink in the world, or absolute garbage!
    One thing you will need to get your colours right is an ICC profile - if your supplier can't provide one, then you will need a custom one making - without it your computer doesn't know what to do with the inks in your printer to mix them into the right colours. Even the best/most expensive ink in the world is useless without an ICC profile.

As for the mugs fading in their print at the top/bottom of the mug - this can be due to the mugs themselves not being straight enough and/or your press not being tight enough (although probably a combination of the two.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, unfortunately that is absolutely no indication at all. Have you had a profile made?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty@BMS View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately that is absolutely no indication at all. Have you had a profile made?
    Not yet, how would I go about having one of these done?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pisquee View Post
    I doubt the refill carts are the problem, although what's in them may be.
    If they're unbranded then you don't know what ink you actually have - it may be the best ink in the world, or absolute garbage!
    One thing you will need to get your colours right is an ICC profile - if your supplier can't provide one, then you will need a custom one making - without it your computer doesn't know what to do with the inks in your printer to mix them into the right colours. Even the best/most expensive ink in the world is useless without an ICC profile.

As for the mugs fading in their print at the top/bottom of the mug - this can be due to the mugs themselves not being straight enough and/or your press not being tight enough (although probably a combination of the two.)
    I see, I was looking into the Sawgrass Sublijet inks - as they seem to be the best on the market. I thought I would check out the cheaper version first. I'll chase the supplier to see if they have a profile, otherwise how would I go about having one made?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Storm
    May I suggest you have a good look through this forum before you go any further. You will find the answers to your questions and a whole load of other information as well. I an still new myself and look at this forum everyday and find something new everyday. The people on here are great for advice.
    Many thanks
    Iain

Equipment used A4 Ricoh printer, HP3085 Heat Press Graphtec cutter, Jarin mug press, CJV 30-60 solvent printer and lots of help from DSF.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Paul (moderator on here) offers custom ICC profiles for sublimation from his website:
    http://www.frames4photoshop.info/cus...blimation.html

Don't assume that because Sawgrass is the most expensive, or assumed only option, or that everyone uses it, because everyone uses it, that it is necessarily the best quality option.