Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Grafityp Garment & Textile Materials Workshop
    By mr-gobby in forum Events & Shows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-04-2015, 08:31 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-12-2014, 10:39 PM
  3. Tips for workshop layout please.
    By Flash in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 19-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by galerion View Post
    You need to drop your temp down to 170c for ricoh gel ink and we all have wasted mugs and other blanks before getting our settings right lots of trial and error.
    Once you've got your setting right there will be days where you'll be kicking yourself cus you've put the image on the mug upside down and the other odd silly thing but its all part of the joy of sublimation.
    Many thanks "galerion" I will make my next attempt reduced pressure and at 170c. Will let you know :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I have used the recommended colour test template and adjusted the heat and timings as per everyones comments and "eureka" what a result! See image below - The photo just doesn't do it justice as it was hard to get the lovely bright colours to shine through:
    Colour_Test_Mug.jpg

Now the bad news - "Appetite for Destruction"

I then created an image that I wanted to sublimate onto some mugs (the album cover from the amazing Guns and Roses "Appetite for Destruction") but the results were not good despite trying different durations and temperatures? I just don't understand why the colour test template came out so well and the GNR mugs look blurred and perhaps scorched at the bottom edge the main part of the mug looks great but its around the edges, see photos below...

GNR_Reject_DSCN2090_Cropped_Small.jpg
    GNR_Reject_DSCN2091_Cropped_Small.jpg

GNR_Reject_DSCN2093_Cropped_Small.jpg
    GNR_Reject_DSCN2094_Cropped_Small.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Coppuck; 03-07-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Additional photos

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going to have to step in here,

Guns and Roses are one of my clients (or rather their European merchandiser is), you do not have copyright permission to print this mug and it is not allowed. Just like we are not allowed to assist with inks other than Sawgrass (if in small format printers), we should not be allowed to assist when you are clearly breaking copyright law.

While I am more than happy to help anyone with problems, I do not think helping people to break the law should be on that list and I personally think this should be taken as seriously as the Sawgrass patent.

Sorry if I sound a bit strong, it just bugs me at times :-)
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have the dvd copy that i got when i bought my equipment
    Directdesignsupplied.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    Going to have to step in here,

Guns and Roses are one of my clients (or rather their European merchandiser is), you do not have copyright permission to print this mug and it is not allowed. Just like we are not allowed to assist with inks other than Sawgrass (if in small format printers), we should not be allowed to assist when you are clearly breaking copyright law.

While I am more than happy to help anyone with problems, I do not think helping people to break the law should be on that list and I personally think this should be taken as seriously as the Sawgrass patent.

Sorry if I sound a bit strong, it just bugs me at times :-)
    Hi Socialgiraffe,

Firstly I can assure that there is no intent to infringe any copyright. This image was just a trial, especially for the solid black background to get the printing right. In fact I am a massive Guns and Roses fan and went to see them at the NEC LG Arena in 2010 with my 18 year old son. These mugs are not for sale or distribution just the result of failed attempts to sublimate a great image with a strong background.

This is also not the market niche I am interested in so please do not be concerned.

Kind regards,

Ever Lawful and Very Aware of Copyright and Patents Keith :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Keith

All good mate, as and I said in my other post I am sure you are a top bloke.

Glad to hear that it is a test mug, and to be fair, I have had a crappy day and instead of seeing a stack of GNR mugs I saw a bit of the old red mist. Please accept my apologies if I have offended you as it was not (and still isn't!) the case. Likewise in my rant, although the escence of it still stands, I will publicly admit that it is not directed at you in any way shape or form.

Thanks for explaining, and glad to hear you are a fan, keep buying the crappy merchandise they churn out so I can keep eating LOL!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually deleted the other post Keith...

I had an imaginary cigarette (gave up January), re-read and did not want the thread to be associated with you in any way shape or form as that would not be fair. I will wait until another crappy day and then might repost something about copyright then :-)

SG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In answer to your question, its to do with the mug base.

When you put a mug in the heat press the main body of the mug gets hot pretty quickly, but the base takes a lot longer as the immediate heat generated by the blanket is "sucked" into the base.

There are many suggestions and the one I favour and use is to use a teryaki grill to heat the mugs before putting them in the press. This helps because the base of the mug will even out to a similar temperature to the rest of the mug very quickly.

You can try things like putting them on radiators and I think someone else suggested putting boiling water in them for a few minutes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    In answer to your question, its to do with the mug base.

When you put a mug in the heat press the main body of the mug gets hot pretty quickly, but the base takes a lot longer as the immediate heat generated by the blanket is "sucked" into the base.

There are many suggestions and the one I favour and use is to use a teryaki grill to heat the mugs before putting them in the press. This helps because the base of the mug will even out to a similar temperature to the rest of the mug very quickly.

You can try things like putting them on radiators and I think someone else suggested putting boiling water in them for a few minutes.
    Hi again Socialgiraffe,

not offended in anyway you are just trying to protect the interest of your client and I respect that! In my day job I have to regularly deal with software IPR issues especially in respect of using some open source gizmos so very much understand where you are coming from.

I will experiment with some pre-heating methods hot tap water in the cup prior to pressing seems like a good solution, would I need to also reduce the press time?

I too gave up smoking 22 years ago but sometimes still after all that time fancy a piggy, especially in a beer garden with a cold beer or arriving in the middle of nowhere after a long adventurous bike ride. Don't turn back no matter what the stress or temptation :-)

Thanks again for the tip I will let you know the results.

Kind regards,

Keith

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Water in the base can work but needs to be boiling hot and a bit of a faff. Personally I pre-heat the lowest inch of the mug in the press at full heat for 20/30 seconds. If you have a few to do the trays are a great idea or you can sit them on top of your flat press if you happen to be using that as well.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!