Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you need is an Amateur Radio enthusiast as One of your forum members, it might also help if One of his past occupations was being a Sound Engineer as he would know the theory of this kind of venture..lol.

Yes, you can do it - you just need to buy or build a 'Yagi' antenna (Thats what a TV antenna is - Directional).

You do need another to receive of course - the problem is it MUST BE in the 'Line of Sight' to work.

There will be commercial offerings.

You see those little 'Wi Spire' dishes around - thats what they are doing, all pointing to the Spire where the transmitting antenna is situated.
    My website is open:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Using FlexiStarter 10 and a Liyu SC631e & a Silhouette Cameo cutter. 2x Ricoh SG3110dn printers and Adkins Auto Clam press. Using Sublijet-r from Sawgrass.
    ..And I have gotten my money's worth out of this forum - saved Hundreds by being a Premium Member
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<-- IF you like this post PLEASE add to my reputation by clicking the 'Star' below this post on the Left :)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ah, I was a sound engineer too, before I quit and did this instead!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's Three people I have other things in common with on this forum - You (Sound Engineer), Simon (DJ) and Arthur (Welder/Plater) :)

Here's the sort of thing I would be undertaking if I wanted to extend Wi-Fi over a distance.

As it stands I have another router in my workshop which has the DD-Wrt firmware on it which I use as a WiFi bridge - just picks up the original signal from my No1 router in the house and re-broadcasts it, same log in details and ID (SSID) as the main router so people dont have problems moving between the different signals - seamless :)
    My website is open:

Using FlexiStarter 10 and a Liyu SC631e & a Silhouette Cameo cutter. 2x Ricoh SG3110dn printers and Adkins Auto Clam press. Using Sublijet-r from Sawgrass.
    ..And I have gotten my money's worth out of this forum - saved Hundreds by being a Premium Member

<-- IF you like this post PLEASE add to my reputation by clicking the 'Star' below this post on the Left :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    many thanks for the info guys, lots of reading to do :-)

I found this which looked interesting http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MILE-Long-...-/360471510612
    but at these prices I might well be better looking at a phone line and broadband connection! lol. Not so much fun though ;-)

The chap doesn't seem in a rush to get the unit cleared and ready to rent which is a shame as it's perfect so I'm looking at other options......internet won't be a problem either.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That gadget does look interesting Justin - do you need one at each end of the connection, or is everything in the kit all you need?
    Also, what's the legalities for the UK in terms of using a transmitter of that strength in that freq band?
    Last edited by pisquee; 04-08-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm an A class licenced radio amateur lol.....forgot most of the theory though to be honest, but yes, a Yagi antenna may be the best idea being directional

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the FCC rules this exceeds our permitted ERP (Effective radiated power) as it has a 20dbi (gain) antenna.
    The unit has a power of 1000mW (1 watt) - we are allowed 4 watts but the gain of the antenna (every 6db doubles the radiated power) will push the radiated power WELL above our allowed 4 watts.

I'm a 2EO at the moment (so went through all of the theory for that test) am hoping to take my 'M' class at the end of this year but to be honest I dont think I will have the time as it is a full weeks course.

2EO NGR
    My website is open:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you looked on instructables? - I can recall seeing many diy dish based range extenders
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK