Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Extending wi-fi distances

Here's one for you techy buffs!

I've just read that you can extend your network wireless over a huge distance using antenna. 20km has been mentioned :-) I've read about a number of things including a wi-fi range extender claiming 10,000 square foot extension.

Is it possible to share an internet connection over a larger distance?

My reason for this (possibly daft) question.....I may have the opportunity of renting a much larger office just down the road from home. As the crow flies we're talking 800-1000 yds maybe, pretty much clear line of sight. Currently the premises has no phone line, i don't need the phone connection but will need internet....hence my query!

Fascinated to hear of any possibilities and no, I don't think I can run a cable along the pavments! ;-)
    Last edited by Justin; 30-07-2014 at 12:47 AM.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Justin.
    I beleive it can be done but dont know how either. I have a similar problem so lets hope there is some Boffin on here who can help us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BT Openzone allows me to access the internet in a house which doesn't have an internet connection. So when visiting the mother in law, I bring the laptop, log into openzone which is a network of all BT internet customers and I log into my own account. I've got internet anywhere in the UK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a good idea to look into mobile phone tethering :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    BT Openzone allows me to access the internet in a house which doesn't have an internet connection. So when visiting the mother in law, I bring the laptop, log into openzone which is a network of all BT internet customers and I log into my own account. I've got internet anywhere in the UK.
    Might be an option if someone nearby is on BT...as I am, cheers, will have a play around.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muckyducky View Post
    Might be a good idea to look into mobile phone tethering :)
    Lol, we struggle to get a phone signal up here, 3G is non existent as well :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that the cost of doing something like this, and sustaining a reliable connection, would far outweigh the cost of a cheap broadband connection direct to the premises, especially with some of the deals providers are offering these days.

Your mention of being rural and lack of 3g reception got me thinking about a thread I was following from back home in Ireland, which is worth a read if your interested in this sort of stuff. Basically a guy got a project going to supply high speed wireless broadband to the community, all run by volunteers. Huge achievement I reckon!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056423539

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know someone who built himself an antenna exactly for this purpose. He had it mounted in a 4 th floor window at work with a reciprocal antenna on his house. He had to take it down on the basis that it was totally illegal - exceeded the permitted power transmission. Apparently it worked a treat, even if it did fry any birds that passed through its path ;o)

I'd be very surprised if googling didn't throw up some design suggestions.

Arthur

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthur.daley View Post
    I know someone who built himself an antenna exactly for this purpose. He had it mounted in a 4 th floor window at work with a reciprocal antenna on his house. He had to take it down on the basis that it was totally illegal - exceeded the permitted power transmission. Apparently it worked a treat, even if it did fry any birds that passed through its path ;o)

I'd be very surprised if googling didn't throw up some design suggestions.

Arthur
    I think thats possibly one of the main problems...the kind of frequencies required to reliably send data over that distance are illegal to use without licenses, etc. I could be wrong, and there might well be a way to do it. Otherwise, get a shovel out and start digging a trench!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Justin,
    You need to read through these articles from TheRegister.co.uk about a guy in rural Scotland trying to get decent internet to his house by relaying it from another house in a similar fashion to what you're trying to do.

Diary of a Not Spot (pt 1)
    Diary of a Not Spot (pt 2)
    Diary of a Not Spot (pt 3)
    Not Spot Forum

We're also looking at getting premises in town, so am thinking if this could work for us too (we have fibre at home, so be good if there was a way to get it the 0.2 miles away potential shop so we don't have to pay for more internet, but also have our two computer networks joined up.
    There is a potential building only a few doors down the street which may be able to get instead, for which I'd likely be cheeky and run a long ethernet cable along the roofs of the neighbours, or maybe use the phone masts to string the cable that way!
    Last edited by pisquee; 31-07-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Tidying up formatting from quick copy/paste earlier!