Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Rhinestone pressing
    By AJLA in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 10:41 AM
  2. Newbie pressing mugs with laserjet paper
    By Tomsk100 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-09-2014, 05:41 PM
  3. Newbie - tips please - pressing straight
    By cupsforcops in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 11:43 PM
  4. pressing plaques
    By hakuna in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-04-2012, 07:58 PM
  5. pressing canvas
    By smitch6 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to mug pressing and need help!!

Hi guys.
    I have been reading nearly all the posts about mug pressing here but seem to not quite find my right answer so i signed up and here i am!.
    The problem i have got is i dont know where im going wrong. let me explain:
    i bought the press the inks the printer and all the rest of what i need.
    i went to try my hand at the mugs only to be presented with a yellow image pressed onto the mug!!! i have altered the temp the times the way im printing but still keep getting " yellow " images??? i have tried 5 mugs so far all same result!
    The paper however came with no marked up packaging so am unsure if the paper is photo paper only as it looks and feels like it to be honest i bought the paper from Lovecut as well as the mugs and ink.
    the press was bought from ebay and works fine ( the mugs are definatly gettin all the needed heat! )
    the printer im using is the epson s21 with a ciss system all set up properly.
    the settings on my press are 190 C and 185 seconds and im using medium to hard pressure.
    i tried to print on both sides of the paper but same result ( dont know why but i thought i was printing on the wrong side :S )
    i have some new paper on the way from a different supplier to see if thats my problem but hopefully you pros can help me out with some much needed advice!
    thanks for your time guys

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie to mug pressing and need help!!

Have you tried a nozzle check on your printer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What colour is the image supposed to be - presumably not yellow, but what colour - green, red? Try a nozzle check first to make sure the printer is printing perfectly and head clean if necessary but no more than 2 or 3 times otherwise you'll flood the printhead. If this works great if not then the next paragraph might not be so happy reading...

The S21 isn't a supported sublimation printer by Sawgrass, so I don't know why the supplier is selling that printer, apart from the fact it is the cheapest Epson printer on the market. There isn't an ICC profile for use with the inks available so colour management will be problematic and as this is the entry level Epson printer then the printheads may be more prone to clogging. I'll also assume that the sublimation inks aren't Sawgrass (but please correct me if I'm wrong) so support for these inks with this printer will have to come from the supplier of the system if you have problems with the colours which can't be resolved by the above comment as the mainstream suppliers won't have any knowledge of the inks or the printer to help.

I hope it gets working for you. The issue of some suppliers selling the "wrong" printer with sublimation inks is frustrating for all parties concerned. Time and time again we have experiences of customers buying such printers only to have to buy twice - to buy the "correct" printer and inks. This used to happen with a supplier selling the Epson D92 which was a cheaper version to the then supported printer, and now it looks like the S21 is going to be supplied with equally frustrating end user problems. These entry level printers have been tried by Sawgrass and they either fail quicky or don't print properly hence the current Epson printer is the B40W which has been tried and tested.

Sorry if I sound down beat tyrob and I truely hope you get this up and running perfectly. If we can help anymore then we'll try further but if the issue is colour management then you'll have to go back to your supplier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure its sublimation ink - I didn't know lovecut sold sub ink, i've looked on their website and there's no mention of it. They do sell transfer ink which I think is for printing paper heat transfers onto t'shirts - not sublimation.

Cheers John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John G
    Are you sure its sublimation ink - I didn't know lovecut sold sub ink, i've looked on their website and there's no mention of it. They do sell transfer ink which I think is for printing paper heat transfers onto t'shirts - not sublimation.

Cheers John

You know John - that's exactly what I thought.

I enquired at Lovecut a few months ago when setting up for mugs and e-mailed them. They said exactly the same thing - transfer ink (t-shirts etc) NOT sublimation ink (mugs etc). It was a little wierd as if I didn't ask I would have presumed that it was the required ink and I reckon they would have sold it me complete ................... although they wouldn't be at fault as the customer should confirm before purchasing.

Anyway, this has me a little curious - is there a way to check if it is transfer ink and not sublimation ink?

AB
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!
    (contact Admin for more details)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the price :lol:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a way to check if it is transfer ink and not sublimation ink
    Print a swatch of 4 colours - cyan, magenta, yellow, black and try to heat press that onto something. If the colours don't transfer then that may be the answer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks guys.
    i bought the S21 on a friends recommendation who does this kind of thing unfortunately i cant get hold of him to get his views on this.
    i changed the paper and there is slight ( not so much ) change . i saw a bit of black coming through!! lol
    the picture in question was a nice bright tigger and pooh so u can imagine what its meant to be like heres my bad poor result :(
    [attachment=0:1qcabs1y]mug.jpg[/attachment:1qcabs1y]
    sorry picture aint great
    as to the ink on the bottles i received they state "epson pigment ink". i bought it with the ciss system there and if its the ink ARRGGHHH lol the product on love cut is listed as : S21 S20 D92 D78 LoveBrite® Pigmented transfer ink Ciss System
    Told you guys i was a total newbie and apologize if i sound dumb .
    i dont have an available flatbed press to try the prints on say a T shirt would an iron do? not sure how that works either.
    the press im using by the way is an MP-70D if that means anything to guys?
    if it turns out to be my ink where is the best place to buy some proper stuff? Also which printer would you guys think would be better than my current ( lol my missus will not be happy as i have 3 printers already lol )

im truely grateful for this guys

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Its definately not sublimation ink - looked on his site and he doesn't sell sub ink.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah John G's right this isn't sublimation ink.

You've got a choice of either the Ricoh GXe3300 A4 printer or the Epson B40W printer. The Ricoh comes with sublimation cartridges and the Epson B40W comes with an Easyflow ink system (similar to your exising CISS). You've looking at between £250+vat and £320 +vat for these printers with the inks. If you want to talk through your options then you've welcome to call us or get some feedback from members here as to which printer they're using.