Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Mugs - black print faded at the bottom
    By Oaten in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-04-2014, 10:46 PM
  2. solid colour on Flip case problems
    By Gelert in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 11:53 PM
  3. Print faded near bottom of image on some mugs, please advise
    By MREDD in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
  4. Colour on mugs faded in middle
    By Louise in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mugs - Colour at top/bottom more often faded than solid

Hi. I'm using the DF1+ mug press from BMS and just took an order for 5 personalised mugs that have a solid colour at top and bottom of mug running all the way round. It has taken me 12 mugs in order to get five decent ones. The solid colours are just so inconsistent from mug to mug. I've done the usual:
    1) Ensure paper is wrapped tightly and taped both ends fully down
    2) Ensure mug press is tight when mug in place
    3) Added more white around the border so there is a 5mm white border at top and bottom before artwork
    4) Used 10oz BMS european RN coated mugs (the best we have found)

I'm using a Ricoh printed with Sawgrass inks with idle 110, temp at 170 and time at 140 (as recommended by BMS).

Yet still there are times when the solid colour has not taken until 15mm say from the bottom of the cup and a blue appears cloudly rather than solid. Yet the top of the mug is solid and perfect.

This can also happen at the edges even if I have added a white border to start the artwork further away from the handle.

Are there any tips from anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your first mug printed looking acceptable? This one is in the press longer than the others as the press has to heat all the way from 110 degrees so the base in particular gets more heat into it.

What is your overall image size Olly? Particularly the width?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use an oven but from reading many threads on here may I suggest you try pre-heating the bases as these take longer to heat up.
    Many thanks
    Iain

Equipment used A4 Ricoh printer, HP3085 Heat Press Graphtec cutter, Jarin mug press, CJV 30-60 solvent printer and lots of help from DSF.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi BMS (Martin?). I'm using the new pre-cut mug paper of yours and create a 21cm x 9cm template although I am giving a white border still of around 5mm to this to try and cut off the problem. Therefore the width is probably 200mm but on this mug paper this means around 25mm from the handle I guess. The image (solid colour) starts around 5mm from the top and bottom and goes the complete 200mm width. The problem though could happen on the second, third, forth mug...

The instructions for the mug press isn't that comprehensive so I am "playing it by ear" a little with regard how to insert. The picture shows the mug handle vertically when in the press but in reality when the press is down then the mug handle moves forwards and so I try and create the same amount of spacing by holding and moving the mug whilst the press comes down. I am wondering whether the mug handle is meant to rest forward towards me on the metal edge and then bring the press handle down.

The colours I am using are fairly neon pink, red, green, yellow and I find the red is the worst of the lot. This goes cloudy red at the bottom of the mug (perhaps could be the top as well depending on which end you insert first into the press I guess).

As for the oven then I've posted a couple of threads on this saying we have tried three ovens but chose mug press as the temp was consistent. Although perhaps not the pressure I am thinking?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Printed Mugs View Post
    Hi BMS (Martin?). I'm using the new pre-cut mug paper of yours and create a 21cm x 9cm template although I am giving a white border still of around 5mm to this to try and cut off the problem. Therefore the width is probably 200mm but on this mug paper this means around 25mm from the handle I guess. The image (solid colour) starts around 5mm from the top and bottom and goes the complete 200mm width. The problem though could happen on the second, third, forth mug...

The instructions for the mug press isn't that comprehensive so I am "playing it by ear" a little with regard how to insert. The picture shows the mug handle vertically when in the press but in reality when the press is down then the mug handle moves forwards and so I try and create the same amount of spacing by holding and moving the mug whilst the press comes down. I am wondering whether the mug handle is meant to rest forward towards me on the metal edge and then bring the press handle down.

The colours I am using are fairly neon pink, red, green, yellow and I find the red is the worst of the lot. This goes cloudy red at the bottom of the mug (perhaps could be the top as well depending on which end you insert first into the press I guess).

As for the oven then I've posted a couple of threads on this saying we have tried three ovens but chose mug press as the temp was consistent. Although perhaps not the pressure I am thinking?
    Yes, Martin!

The handle position isn't that important so long as it is in the centre of the mug blanket. Just try to get this equal distance from each end and in the centre of the gap - from what you explain it sounds about right. The image size also sounds about right. I'd check the pressure - when you clamp the mug in the press the heat blanket should start to form (bend) around the top and bottom of the mug to ensure you have a good tight fit. There should be some pressure to exert to close the press and this cloudy issue you mention could be to do with pressure. Try a new mug from start - idle temp of 110c, put mug in press and clamp making sure you start to see the blanket form at the top and base of the mug (tighten as necessary) and there is some pressure needed to close the press, then heat to 170c for 140 seconds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok Martin, will give it a go first thing tomorrow. Thanks for response.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Martin. No luck altering pressure to make colour stay solid. Another 5 mugs all having issues. I am on 170c and 140s. Would altering time or temp help? Although blacks turn brown going hotter sometimes I find. Problem mostly near base or side by handle. Wasting 20 mugs now on trying to get solid colour. Picking up more mugs from yours tomorrow so if ok will leave last mug printed with Scott for reviewing and perhaps a wrapped mug so someone could try on a DF1+. The press, paper and mug are all yours so be interested to see if it is materials issue or method.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do my mugs 180 secs 180 degrees touch wood they are coming out fine

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Neil. Ok, will try that shortly. Just reluctant to go much higher in temp (advice from BMS using Ricoh) as black inks have come out faded before. Anything worth a try as I have an order for delivery tomorrow and wasting so many. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Neil, that did the trick! 180 at 180 (rather than 170 and 140) has given me 10 good mugs from 12 which is great. I did try to drop the temp to 170 and leave at 180s but didn't quite do 100% of the coverage well. So it seems that different ink coverage needs different settings which I guess is something I am learning now. Therefore for anything without full colour areas then I will stick to 170 and 140 otherwise will up it. Thanks!