Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Which A3 Pigment printer should I get
    By GoldRapt in forum Printers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-05-2015, 07:54 PM
  2. A3 Pigment Ink Printer
    By RoyLittle0 in forum Printers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-02-2014, 02:17 AM
  3. Anyone recommend a good Pigment Ink based printer
    By kevinjplee in forum Printers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
  4. Anyone recommend a good pigment ink printer?
    By kevinjplee in forum Printers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
  5. What Pigment Printer?
    By soulclaimed in forum Printers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pigment printer for transfers

Been searching for an A3 inkjet printer capable of using pigment ink.
    Will only be using this for 10% of jobs I cant warrant paying too much. Anyone got any recommendations?

Have been looking at the Cannon Pixma ix6850 as it states in the description that the black ink is pigment ink so I presume this suggest that I can use
    pigment ink in all colours?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/printe...57323-pdt.html

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe the black is pigment, but the colours would be dye inks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thanks for that nash. Looks like its going to be a Epson Stylus Photo 1500W unless anyone knows of anything cheaper.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pick an Epson inkjet which suits your budget, desired print size and ink colours, along with the build and print quality, then source the appropriate refillable cartridges and a good quality branded pigment ink.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my A3 printers are Brother MFC-J6510DW, although I think there is a newer version.

For Dye Sub I run inks made for Epson printers because they can be left for weeks at a time if I am away and usually I can just print a nozzle check then away I go on return. Occasionally I notice a couple of blocked nozzles and a quick clean will fix it. The Epsons have very fine nozzles in the print heads, the holes in the Brothers are bigger ans just seem to stay cleaner. And at $199 these printers are disposable. You can also buy a huge size refillable cartridge set and they don;t (at the time of writing) need reset chips.

Although the Brothers are designed for dye ink, they are pretty good on pigment as long as you again, use pigment inks designed for Epsons because the bigger holes in the Brother print heads let the ink flow better. Unlike the Dye Sub printers, the ones I use for pigment do need a nozzle clean occasionally although usually telling the things to print half a dozen A4 pages will fix it.

I use one A3 brother for printing on canvas.

One thing to remember with Brother inkjets is not to turn them off. They need to be left plugged in and turned on 24/7. At odd times in the night mine turn on and do a quick maintenance clean completely unattended. I have no idea where the timer for this process is, but it is a neat trick. It means you rarely even need to do a print head clean. Mine have been switched on continually for several years and have done reams of paper including Dye Sub paper plus many, many A3 canvasses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. Have read conflicting things about the brother printers & pigment ink but I think i'm going to take your advice rossdv8 and give one a try. Any on the pcworld link below that I should avoid or will they all do the trick?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-...-criteria.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markola View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Have read conflicting things about the brother printers & pigment ink but I think i'm going to take your advice rossdv8 and give one a try. Any on the pcworld link below that I should avoid or will they all do the trick?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-...-criteria.html
    I can't see any I would avoid - But I can see one I would grab for myself. I don't think for most printing that we need much more than 1200 x 1200 (but I'm not an expert). At about 90 quid I would probably grab
    BROTHER MFC-J5910DW Wireless All-in-One A3 Inkjet Printer
    • WiFi printing
    • Apple AirPrint & Google Cloud Print
    • 1200 x 1200 dpi
    • Up to 12 ipm

Failing that I would go for the
    BROTHER MFCJ6520DW Wireless A3 All-in-One Inkjet Printer
    • WiFi printing
    • Apple AirPrint & Google Cloud Print
    • 6000 x 1200 dpi
    • Up to 22 ipm

and of course there's the old stand by http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/brother-al...inkjet-printer

I've been lucky. I always get my A3 Brothers for about the equivalent of 100 quid (well, $199 Aussie dollars) on special. And I've had a great run with them.

Just remember - leave your Brother inkjet turned on and connected to power 24/7. It has a programmed automatic maintenance system. It won;t stop nozzle clogs, but it certainly reduces them. And remember, if you're using pigment inks you are running ink with chunks of solids in it through a print head that was designed for dye. At some point you have to do a head clean.

But I buy bulk ebay pigment ink and it is cheap enough that usually I just tell the printer to print half a dozen photos instead of doing a head clean. That saves filling up the waste ink thingy.

I use this type of cartridge. You can see the ink levels while they are in the printer and after a little practice you can refill them without removing them. Even my dye sub one is fine to refill like this.

You're welcome to PM me any time as long as you know my ideas are simply sharing my experiences - not 'gospel'. You might have completely different experiences from mine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for that, Really appreciated.
    I'm going to go for the BROTHER MFC-J5910DW at that price I have not lost a great deal if I cant get on with it.
    One question I do have, is it worth buying the "heat transfer pigment inks" such as the Lovebright ink from lovecut?. Guess I could invests in a better quality in on the money I saved from getting the cheaper printer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose a lot depends on your experience. I am NOT running this as a business, although I started out planning to. I began doing photo T-Shirts using the original Brother dye ink that came with the printer. Now, if you are only planning to do shirts on a small scale, I will tell you now friends and I are still wearing shirts I printed using the original ink.

If you are doing shirts my first suggestion is buy the BEST PAPER you can afford. In my case I tried all sorts of papers from ebay etc, then discovered genuine JetPro SofStretch. The Neenah website is a pig to search. This link http://www.neenah.com/technical/heat...tructions.aspx will let you see their products. Then Google Search or a look few questions on this forum will let you find where you can get the stuff in your country.

My pigment inks I just buy off ebay in a litre or a half litre per colour. I just choose a 4 colour Epson as the starting point.

But if you plan to print for sale, I'm sure a few more questions will put you in touch with a bulk pigment ink supplier for Epson 4 colour printers. And while you're checking out ebay, buy a refill kit. Basically it is 4 syringes about an inch diameter and some clear plastic hose. But I soon got a different kit with 4 x 250ml squeezy bottles with nozzle ends. I find I use the bottles now more than the syringes.

As always this email is long winded. Just trying to help you avoid the mistakes I made.

Another thing while I remember. Bookmark hat link I gave you I'm pretty sure it has the instructions for JetPro papers for both white and coloured materials.

I mentioned I had success with using genuine Brother Dye inks for shirts. Done right, they wash for years in hot water with no special care. After 3 years some are fading now.

The reason I went to Pigment Inks was that my main product was not shirts. I saw an opening for printing on canvas. Which is the reason I bought the Brother A3 printer. And the other reason for the Brother was that if it was rubbish I could afford to lash out on an Epson.

But when I wanted to do Sublimation I looked at the options and read about Epsons and Head cleaning and decided the Brother had to be just as good. I get brilliant results and I don;t even use ICC profiles. However if you decide to play with DyeSub, I would recommend you use a profile. For ordinary heat transfer with pigment there are other ways to get better images and colours.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rossdv8 For This Useful Post:

iceviper (27-02-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're an absolute star!! I have bookmarked this thread and the link you provided, some great info on there and some interesting products.
    Dont worry about your replies been long winded, You have been a great help and have saved me hours if not days. Hope I can return the favor one day.
    I had decided to try a few papers including the jetpro soft stretch so I will give this a try first.
    Dye sub is something I will get round to at sometime but for now Clothing is keeping me busy enough. Going to go get the Brother printer tomorrow and should have a trial run done over the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.