Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Cooling Mugs
    By Lindsay in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 08:44 PM
  2. Phone case help
    By Jollyware in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-03-2015, 12:23 PM
  3. Dummy phones for cooling?
    By adamctid in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-11-2014, 12:00 PM
  4. HTC Phone case
    By Dezignwar in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-04-2012, 05:25 PM
  5. Cooling printed mug
    By Mattie in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 09:20 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3D phone case cooling. Dummy phone or cooling jig?

st3042 and Ricoh printer
    doing some iPhone cases and the last batch I had seemed to cool ok on dummy phones, but not in cold water as I found they warped.
    Got a new batch of Galaxy S4 and iPad mini cases from another supplier as my normal supplier was out of stock. Slightly different design to the S4 case, which is no problem. But I can not get them to cool without a lot of warping on a corner and shrinking using a dummy phone.

using dummy phones was the advice given to me by a supplier on here when I first started, but what are the opinions of guys on here? Like I say, this new batch just pop off as they change shape as they cool, even if I put some weight on them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do the two different designs look like, out of curiosity?

I always put my cases straight on to a dummy and drop them immediately into shallow cold water (less than an inch deep, so I don't get my heat gloves wet when I retrieve them) and I've never had a problem with them popping off... I used to... but then I realised that the heating jig that BMS advertised as "Samsung S3/S4" wasn't actually for the S4 at all, and when I bought a dedicated S4 jig I never had any problems again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by we-print View Post
    st3042 and Ricoh printer
    doing some iPhone cases and the last batch I had seemed to cool ok on dummy phones, but not in cold water as I found they warped.
    Got a new batch of Galaxy S4 and iPad mini cases from another supplier as my normal supplier was out of stock. Slightly different design to the S4 case, which is no problem. But I can not get them to cool without a lot of warping on a corner and shrinking using a dummy phone.

using dummy phones was the advice given to me by a supplier on here when I first started, but what are the opinions of guys on here? Like I say, this new batch just pop off as they change shape as they cool, even if I put some weight on them.
    It may not be your cooling method. It could be the phone case itself. I know there are at least two designs of S4 out there. But, the safest method is always like what Artgamer said, put the phone onto a dummy and drop it inside water immediately.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1415007291708-1840121977.jpg

The one on the left is the newer one that I'm having problems with. The right hand one has been fine. Which also leads me to think it's the case but don't want to send them back until i know it's not me doing something wrong!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by we-print View Post

The one on the left is the newer one that I'm having problems with. The right hand one has been fine. Which also leads me to think it's the case but don't want to send them back until i know it's not me doing something wrong!
    I use the one on the right hand side and yes, it's been really good with fit. No complain, not even once. The other design that I have is NOT the left hand side. But yea, it can be problem with the case.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting. I dont like the narrow bit that goes round the side buttons anyway. They go out of shape.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried again today with a little more success by putting it straight into the water. The newer case fits, but not as well as the right hand ones. I think it's a bad designed case as I've done another one of the right hand one today too and that clicks on real nice.
    Glad I only bought ten, so I'll persevere with them and not order them again.

I'm now having a bigger (but same) problem with the ipad mini cases bought from the same place. As soon as it hits water on the dummy ipad it shrinks by nearly 5mm!!!
    I've not done ipad mini before, are they generally a bigger problem than phone cases? I've potentially got a big customer wanting a load of these and can't even get a sample done right! Arrgghhh!!!!

Help please !!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right... every S4 case I've made has been the one on the left! I don't particularly like them, if I'm honest, and use a Dremel to remove the thin bars around the buttons and smooth it down so it looks like they came from that from the factory. I tried buying the ones on the right from a company in China but they ended up sending me the ones on the left instead and wouldn't give me my money back.

This is what you have to do... as soon as you take it out the press, put it straight on to the dummy phone then pinch all four corners in very tightly while you slowly lower it into cold water, then hold it there for a good thirty seconds. That's how you get them to fit. It's a pain, but as I've not ever been able to get any other S4 designs I've had to compromise and live with it.

I'm REALLY interested to know where you get the cases on the right from. It takes me twenty minutes PER CASE to remove the bars and smooth everything down, so I generally do ten at a time but it takes me hours and I'd much rather spend my time elsewhere, so I'd appreciate knowing where to source these from.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones on the right come from subliblanks.