PDA

View Full Version : Mug press help needed urgently

andy 18
27-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Have an old mug king press which has just burnt out, we have a new press which is the genie from listerwood.
when using the genie we have all sorts of fading problems. We are using the same mugs that are from coralgraph.
Listerwood seem to think that the mug is the problem but we had no problems with the old press.
Anyone know the very best press to buy.

Justin
27-11-2014, 09:04 PM
The Genie has a very good reputation so I'd be surprised if it were to fault. When you say fading, in what areas? Can you upload a pic?

My choice of press are the Adkins Studio which I find very good.

andy 18
27-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, the fading is all along the bottom of the mug and sometimes the top corners on full colour prints.
We are starting the print 2cm from the handle.
As regards the adkins press where do i find these.
Many thanks,
Andy.

Justin
27-11-2014, 09:49 PM
If it's the same mugs I've had from CG in the past they're usually quite good. It does sound like the may taper at the top/bottom. You could try printing with a small gap, I prefer this anyway. Increasing the pressure may help if the blanket isn't wrapping around. If Listawood are saying it's the CG mugs, why not get them to send you a couple of their mugs to sample and see how these go? :-)

Adkins can be bought from TMT or Xpres.

socialgiraffe
28-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Hi Andy

The Genie is a cracking little heat press and although having never used CG mugs, if Justin says they are good mugs that's good enough for me. I would say it comes down to technique. Can you describe exactly what you are doing and the exact kit (printer, ink paper etc) then we may be able to help.

DANNYD
28-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Soz to jump into the thread, am having some fading issues with CG mugs about 5 perfect then fading etc, Have a CG mug press too

andy 18
28-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Hi guys,
Thanks for the help, I am using a ricoh printer,trupix paper and sublijet inks. As i said before everything was going fine on the mug king press but can't seem to get full coverage on the genie.
Thanks ,Andy

socialgiraffe
28-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Time and temp?

And at what point do you put the mug in the press?

andy 18
28-11-2014, 11:10 AM
The press goes on and idle's at 170 then the mug goes in and when it reaches 180 then counts dowm for 180 seconds.

socialgiraffe
28-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Okay, well that's all correct.

Try warming the base of the mug.

Put the paper on the mug then if you can place on top of a radiator for 10 minutes ish.

The base issue sounds as if its because the mugs are a wee bit too cold, when you place them in the blanket the heat for the base is immediately sucked into the centre of the mug and subsequently not printing the outside (hopefully you get my drift on that).

The top sounds as if you are too close to the handle. I would have though 2CM is fine, but try knocking that back to 2.5cm and see if you get the same.

GoonerGary
28-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Was it a new batch of mugs or from the same box when the fading started?

I was trying out a few different boxes of mugs trying to settle on my favourite. I got some mugs which had an orca coating and they all suddenly needed to be heated at the base and the times changed. So mugs will vary in consistency and the same mug can have different coatings on them. The only sure way of trying a totally different ceramic was by buying a box of rhino coated mugs. I ordered a pallet and they appear to be fairly consistent.

One of my presses works great with this set up, with another one I'm still trying to tweak the settings to get perfect results every time. Rhino mugs can be bought from The Transfer Press or Subli.co.uk