PDA

View Full Version : Press vs. oven

chocitiger
30-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Being super new to to dye subbing mugs [ 1 days experience ] just wondering about press vs. mug oven.
I can consistently achieve a decent, no fades / banding 210mm print on a 11oz 80mm diameter mug but this does still leave quite a gap from the handle. Not too bad for most prints but I would like to be able to get closer. Do I need a better press ? Or would a mug oven / wraps be a better bet ?

My 2nd post so once again any help is very gratefully appreciated.

Lol Kaz.

jennywren
30-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I have both, and use the mug oven on bigger orders and the mug press for small orders. I like both and it depends small or big which I use, but for some reason I don't mix the two together. Just a quirk of mine. I think its a matter of perference. I have a gap between the handles. But when I do the image landscpace I can get closer. Your tenplate would be bigger as there is more lengh to go on the landscape, does that make sense. :roll:

chocitiger
31-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks Jennywren & I think I've got the gist of what your at & think I might give an oven a go too…

Lol,
Kaz.

JSR
01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
I have both but my mug ovens don't have very good heat blankets (one's long in the tooth, the other has a cheap blanket).

For photographs or prints that need to get near the edge of the mug (and for all oddball sized mugs), I use the mug oven for better and more consistent results.

For large orders of mugs with just text/designs that don't need to be near the edge of the mug or the handle, I use the mug press because I find it much quicker and far less fiddly than the mug oven.

I should invest in the better quality mug press but finances don't permit that right now.

Kaz
01-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Which oven are you thinking about?

jennywren
11-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I never relized that there was different ovens you learn something every day. The only thing I wish that mine was bigger and took more mugs :lol:

chocitiger
12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi,
thanks for all the info & sorry for my slow reply, but been home to Norway to see my mum !
I have been playing today with a newly acquired mug oven [ Flavorwave platinum halogen ] and all seems well. I only have one clamp at the moment a German made device and so far results have been pretty good, but I have burnt my fingers as mugs get very hot indeed. I am, as some of you have said in your posts, now able to get very near to the handle which gives a more professional look to my mug and I am pleased.
I would like more clamps but seem to have trouble finding them - the sizes I would like are out of stock. Does anyone know where I can get 72mm, 80mm and latte clamps from ? I especially like the design of the one I have [ it is labelled http://www.printequipment.de ] as it is very easy to wrap successfully and unclips easily when hot, I do not think I would manage with the bolt on type when they are hot.
I think I will still need a mug press as it is I guess much easier and faster to produce a single mug with a press but think that I should maybe spend a bit more money and get a better one than I have. It was only £95 on ebay. It is quite good but I would like one that could cope with more sizes and maybe a bit nearer the handle than mine.
I have sen quite an expensive machine DK3 that seems to be suitable but has anyone used one or can anyone recommend a different press.
Once again thanks for any advice.
Lol,
Kaz.

Justin
12-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Get some heat resistant gloves and save your skin! :oops:

Check these out......

http://www.coolskin.com/searchresults.a ... oryid=1178 (http://www.coolskin.com/searchresults.aspx?categoryid=1178)

I used to own a DK3. The one I had was a recon. bought through a sublimation supplier. I never really got on very well with it to be honest. That said, they are known for being the rolls royce of presses, I think the one I bought had seen better days :( They're extremely expensive and having used much cheaper presses I don't really think I could justify that price tag.

chocitiger
16-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi Justin,
thanks for the input… Yes I really do have to invest in some gloves. The oven is working out great now and I'm thinking over wether a DK3 is the path forward. I have read both good and bad things. I think it will print much closer than my current press but if I read correctly it is a very slow process time of 6 mins for a standard mug. Not quite sure why this is so, I would have thought once press is at temp. then time is the same. I will have a phone around this week and see if I can get some info. Luckily for me, the cost of the machine will be met by my husband as a gift...

chocitiger
16-08-2010, 09:51 PM
& Coolskin gloves are now on my list !

Justin
16-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Have you read that the DK3 is 6 mins? If so, that could be from cold to cooked time. I only used to set my DK3 for 3/4 minutes if I remember but it does have other settings that I never went into.

http://www.heatpress.net/pdf/dk3man.pdf

chocitiger
17-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi justin,
Hmmm… Interesting. I was basing my info solely on this review :

http://www.dyesub.org/articles/mugreviewpart2.php

but having re-read it I think I have jumped to the wrong conclusion. It actually says " twice as long as the fastest press " I was thinking twice as long as my press or 2 x 3 mins. plus.
So very keen to hear from an actual user. Reading the review I am mostly quite keen and it was only the ' soak ' that gives me pause for thought. May I ask why you didn't get on so well with yours ?

I am mostly getting on quite well with the oven, but it is a little tedious as I only intend to do a small amount of mugs [ maybe 1 box per month ] and it is not as much fun as the press ! I will try to find some more clamps this week and at least I can do a few at a time, making it a bit more productive.

Lol & many thanks,
Kaz.