PDA

View Full Version : Dark t shirt printing

themojo
13-12-2014, 05:38 AM
I am very new to Dye sub, could anybody please help....I wish to print onto dark t shirts, how would I go about it? Also if I want to print on slate, I realise it has to be a white surface, so what type of paint would I use, would acrylic be ok, many thanks

soulclaimed
13-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi sublimation is not suitable if you wish to print directly onto dark garments as when dark or black tshirts are printed a white layer is required. Sublimation flock is available to.print and press to your garment and there are also dark transfers available for inkjet and laser printers. There's also vinyl that can be cut with a vinyl cutter and pressed. There's screenprinting or plastisol screenprinting transfers. Sublimation slates are coated for sublimation printing acrylic paint will not work. Please take some time to look through the forum you will find answers to all of your questions and if it hasn't been asked before or you struggle people here are all happy to help. Had to edit to make things clearer sublimation needs to be done on polyester or polyester coated items not just a white layer.

themojo
13-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Can the ppolyester coating be done by me

soulclaimed
13-12-2014, 10:59 AM
You can bu a coating spray but it's like 17 quid a can and I hear it's pretty hit and miss.

themojo
13-12-2014, 11:14 AM
So i guess i would not be able to print even on ordinary plates or mugs, i dont know how people make a living in this business, i really appreciate your help though, many thanks

soulclaimed
13-12-2014, 11:26 AM
It's reasonably easy to make money, most suppliers sell abroad range of items that you can get good profit margins. Mugs are great for profit as they are very popular and come in packs of say 36 for say £36 and people sell these anywhere upto around £10 which is a pretty good profit. Don't try to compete with eBay sellers who sell them for next to nothing as I expect they buy cheap mugs by the pallet and offer close to 0 service. I have been told before by several people that some of my items are.cheaper on ebay but my reasoning is that with me I provide a service. Word of mouth and letting people know what you Donisthorpe the best way, print some samples android to.a craft fair if nobody there does what.you do you will stand out. Take some time to research what's popular etc
Not saying you'll be a millionaire but there is potential profit to be made.

themojo
13-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Can I print on glass please?

soulclaimed
13-12-2014, 08:39 PM
It has to be made of polyester or coated with it there are loads of glass photo frames available through suppliersthat are coated, sublimation is not really a process suitable for off the shelf items

themojo
13-12-2014, 08:48 PM
I will have to try to source a polyester liquid so I can coat myself, if there is such a product

mrs maggot
14-12-2014, 11:50 PM
have a good read though and you will see some posts where people have bought products and coated them, why cant you buy ready coated ??

themojo
15-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Trouble with that is the cost, i would like to make a decent profit

Ask_Alan
17-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Coated Mug £1.00
China mug 50p + £2000 for spray booth + £1000 for curing oven + time - how much are you worth? and the reject rate is high if you do not have dust filters etc.

Ask listerwood on the setup costs for coating products. Huge :rolleyes:
alan

pisquee
17-12-2014, 08:42 PM
A decent profit can be made from the ready coated products available - especially if it's standard things like mugs - no point reinventing the wheel (until/unless you know the market well enough, and have the business plan and model in place to make it all work)
Even more profit to be made when you get bigger and can buy ready coated mugs by the pallet, have a wide format printer, professional bulk inks etc - we got the wide format printer and pro bulk inks sorted before we sourced custom made mugs.

What is your business plan?
What is your market?
Are you doing your own artwork/designs, or just doing one-off personalised prints?
Have you considered outsourcing any of your workflow?