PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

Stitch Up
22-12-2014, 01:56 PM
A few days ago we started shifting some of our equipment from the house to our new shop 3 doors away.

Saturday was driving drizzle and not feeling to good anyway, I got drenched a few times! The result = MAN FLU so Angie tells me! Yesterday was spent in bed! Feeling a little better today - coughing, sneezing, headache buy hey ho :)

Doing nothing got me thinking about the value of equipment building up in the shop! Presently only the buildings are insured but I reall need to get thinking about contents too! So, which insurer to use for a split use building - domestic and business? We don't plan on opening the shop as a 'walk-in' any time soon, we just had to find a way of separating business from home life as our house resembles an industrial unit and we'd be ashamed to invite anyone here.

So, any recommendations for insurance? I'll be installing an alarm & 4 camera CCTV system over the next couple of weeks.

Oh! The other thing that went wrong - our 3 drive RAID5 array failed 2 hard drives!!!!

mrs maggot
22-12-2014, 05:49 PM
NFU give them a try, or federation of small businesses if you are a member, co-operative are also good

arthur.daley
26-12-2014, 10:21 AM
On the subject of insurance.........

I may be doing a bit of location photography and also selling at events, beyond public liability should I be looking at any other insurance cover and any one have any recommendations where I should start looking?

JMugs
26-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Federation of Small Businesses as Mrs Maggot mentioned.
Insurance, legal advice etc ..

arthur.daley
04-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Just wondering if people here take out any professional or product liability insurance - ie cover against being sued because a mug handle dropped off when it was full of hot coffee etc

Arthur

JMugs
04-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Arthur....Yes.
I am insured very much belt and braces. Did you know that if somebody comes to collect a parcel from you, they are your employee. The parcel companies insurance will look to move the claim onto you whilst they are collecting your item should they be injured. If a handle comes off and an individual is burned, guess where the no win no fee lawyers are going.

25 years in my own businesses has scared the proverbial #### out of me, not just things that people have tried on with me, but with friends in business.

Commercial insurance for your vehicle, ever have paperwork or mugs etc in your car? Ever drive to see someone about printing? Ever visit a supplier or trade show? That's business use. I know so many people cut corners.

My belts and braces commercial business insurance is about £250 per year, my commercial van insurance is £350 per year so £600 per year in insurance.

When I ran a car sales business I had all that, plus work shop liability etc etc could drive any vehicle (as could anybody with my permission) fully comprehensive blah blah for £800 all in, I carried 25 cars in stock average value about £6,000 each. I nearly died when I found out my insurance for the mug business was going to be higher....yes I said higher!

It turned out the Motor Trade from premises was regarded as very low risk.

Odd world!

Janners

Stitch Up
04-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Add to all that the H&S requirements - It's no wonder the cost of producing goods in the UK is so expensive.

mrs maggot
04-01-2015, 04:13 PM
full public liability insurance here

mrs maggot
04-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Jmugs you did well, our current business insurance for the premises, and marks business of motorbikes, with all cover ride/drive anything for both of us, is just shy of 3k per year - cannot shop around as only one company offer it apparently to the motorbike industry

JMugs
04-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Ahh Mrs Maggot I do remember the bike guys saying that it wasn't so good for them.

pisquee
04-01-2015, 08:22 PM
We have liability insurance for public, employer and product, (£10 million for each) along with cover for fees resulting from HMRC investigations from NMTF. (We also have HMRC investigation cover through our accountants)

Quinsfan
27-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I know this is an old feed but what profession/trade are we classed as. I need public liability for a summer fair but not sure what to class the trade as.
Cheers
Iain

JMugs
28-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Hi Ian
I am listed as a "Printer" and "Computing" which made sense when the broker said "How much of your work is done for a client on a computer?"

Janners

Quinsfan
28-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Janners
I tried a compare website and there wasn't even a printers option! I will ring some companies up. Who do you use if you don't mind me asking.

pisquee
28-03-2015, 08:45 AM
we've been looking for new cover, and the insurance brroker we're using has classed us as 'arts and crafts'

JMugs
28-03-2015, 08:51 AM
My business insurance is with Ageas. I use a local broker for all my insurance, home, business, vehicles etc. I do remember they originally did a lot of digging around to find the "printer" option. It was a subset of something (computer design or promotion or .....). It was one of those cases where the broker said "I know it's here, but where!"

Janners.

JMugs
28-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Ahhh Pisq,
I remember that being an option.

Janners

Quinsfan
28-03-2015, 10:22 AM
I will have a look around today. Thanks for the input.

Maggie
28-03-2015, 01:13 PM
I have heard very good things about Ian Wallace:

http://craftinsurance.co.uk/

logobear
28-03-2015, 04:44 PM
If you do any outside events/markets, - worth signing up for market traders federation, - about £100 pa - gives public, product & employers liab insurance foc, - then you only need to insure your kit, - they have an insurance division!

James990
29-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Yep, I am with NMTF, and couldn't be happier. Fully insured and it only costs, at present, £102 per year, less once you join and sign up to direct debit!

James

soulclaimed
12-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Hi I am setting up a deal with my daytime workplace to have a display to sell my products but they have advised that I need public liability insurance. I have called nmtf and they have advised that in order to register with them I need to do at least 5 markets a year, due to the fact that I don't and due to medical reasons cant currently drive I cant do 5 markets a year is there any other company that you lovely people could recommend? I will be mostly selling over ebay and and ecommerce website once its up and running and the rest through facebook and word of mouth.

Quinsfan
12-08-2015, 01:48 PM
They never said that to me. I done a summer fair at my daughter's school this year and needed public liability.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mrs maggot
14-08-2015, 09:47 AM
i think the NMTF are clamping down on people using them for cheap and incorrect insurance, contact a local insurance broker and you should be able to get a policy cheaply, or contact your own home insurance company (who you have presumably told you also earn money from home) and ask them for it as an add on to your own insurance policy.

pisquee
14-08-2015, 10:39 AM
They recently changed the insurance company they use for the cover, and do seem to be a bit more on the ball in saying whether their cover is actually appropriate - we now have two policies, one with them for when we do markets and trade shows/exhibitions, and another to cover our factory/base.

Skye
14-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Have seen these insurers recommended online - had quotes from them in the past.
Graham Sykes - http://graham-sykes.co.uk/event-insurance/
Ian Wallace - http://craftinsurance.co.uk/
GM Imber - http://www.gmimberltd.com/
Craftcover - http://craftcover.com/