PDA

View Full Version : silloutte cameo 2

bigj2552
31-12-2014, 06:01 PM
the new version is out

anyone have one to give some insight ?

we had the original one 2 yrs back, but didnt have the customers to buy / look at products then lol -so sold it

thinking of maybe getting the new version one.....

or would one be better with larger format Chinese one ?

viccar
02-01-2015, 01:11 AM
I dont think anything is different as far a cutting force, dimentions ect, they seem to have just tarted it up a bit, put a cross cutter on the back and a different face on it.

Paul
02-01-2015, 09:41 AM
i noticed few things listed. new things compare to old one are touch screen, usb - so no need for pc. this can be good in some places like markets etc... i think it could be good idea.

• Steel spring rollers for improved tracking and accuracy
• Side compartment for the storage of blades and/or pens
• Fibreglass reinforced drive belt

rest of them are cosmetic i think... I tempted to buy one for my contour cutting of subli flock and transfers, but not to much room on my desk atm...

phoenixalpha
02-01-2015, 09:49 AM
I have one on order (which should arrive Mondayish) to replace my current Cameo 1. The thing that sold me was steel spring rollers as the current plastic ones seem to have worn down and as a result aren't pulling/tracking the vinyl just as accurately as it used to. We're talking less than a mm here but I can see it if I look close enough. I doubt that would get any better with time and usage. Currently the Cameo 1 has little plastic rollers which fit into a groove to allow for movement (see pic) - don't get me wrong the Cameo 1 is an absolute workhorse and I'd recommend it to anyone but after nearly two years of daily work the newer model might be a better investment.

viccar
02-01-2015, 12:03 PM
i noticed few things listed. new things compare to old one are touch screen, usb - so no need for pc. this can be good in some places like markets etc... i think it could be good idea.

You can use the cameo 1 without a pc paul, you can use a memory card in the slot.

Paul
02-01-2015, 12:09 PM
alright... I thought its a new thing. looks like it isn't lol :)

phoenixalpha
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
I think the new one will be sturdier and probably more reliable (and hopefully less waste too).

bigj2552
02-01-2015, 05:33 PM
thanks for input guys ;-)....off to see where we can put it...same as paul...er...space !

phoenixalpha
02-01-2015, 07:15 PM
I'll let y'all know what its like midweek, after setup and all, but the new one will replace the existing one with the C1 going into standbye in case of emergencies or needing to set two cutters up at once.

bigj2552
02-01-2015, 07:38 PM
I'll let y'all know what its like midweek, after setup and all, but the new one will replace the existing one with the C1 going into standbye in case of emergencies or needing to set two cutters up at once.

great ;-)..will hang on for review ;-)

viccar
02-01-2015, 07:56 PM
http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3157&stc=1

Excuse my well loved unit but this is where i keep mine :wink:
O dear just seen all the dust at the back of the keyboard :redface:

bigj2552
02-01-2015, 08:04 PM

i wished mine was as neat as that lol.....or as small / compact

bigj2552
02-01-2015, 08:11 PM

i wished my/our set up was as neat as that lol.....or as small / compact

ArtyGamer
08-01-2015, 10:15 PM
We've had our new Cameo for a few weeks and at first the screen was a tad laggy when it came to sending commands but it was fine a day or so later. We've tried a few designs on it and the only thing we can really see any difference with is the speed as the new one appears to cut quicker than the original, even with the same settings. I will say this though... I really don't like the new software. It's a little over-simplified for my liking and things you expect to see aren't actually there so I imagine that the machine itself (or the engine therein) is making decisions for you rather than you having control over it yourself.

I'd need to take another look to be specific as it's in my wife's office rather than in mine, as I'm sticking with the original machine for now. But it's a sleek-looking machine, at any rate.

phoenixalpha
09-01-2015, 12:33 AM
yeah just been a bit busy this week, so hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll get some time at weekend to replace the old one. Sad to say the new one still shrinkwrapped in box untouched :(

viccar
09-01-2015, 01:32 PM
I really don't like the new software.

It uses the same software as cameo 1 newest version is 3.3.437 for both cameo's maybe you were using an older version?

bigj2552
09-01-2015, 03:06 PM
this helped guys .....

http://youtu.be/XF5SZ0n8rec

http://youtu.be/-5ZVQOqAjaQ

apparently you cant buy the original one now >??

Earth Monkey
11-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I love my cameo but I'm a newbie so have nothing to compare it to

xx

phoenixalpha
11-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Ok got some quiet time and got the new cutter up and running. So I'll wax lyrical for a bit.

SETUP

Out of the box, its pretty much the same as the old Cameo, slightly lighter, slightly sharper looking and the big blue touchscreen replacing the buttons is the only real cosmetic differences. Plugged it in using the existing usb cable and power supply that was being used for my old Cameo 1. Switched on, and pretty much the same sounds came of powering up and head moving. The big blue touchscreen was asking about languages and tour of functions, but being a man, I just totally ignored these and ploughed on regardless.

On connecting to my PC Silhouette Studio asked to update the software so I let it do its thing and a minute later, up popped the install screen. Installed and over wrote the original software and loaded up. (Nice wee touch is a months free subscription to the store - and as I had ordered from YOLO - I got 15% off the price, a wee packet of test vinyl and a wee box of chocolates as a thank you which was a lovely touch from YOLO).

Anyhow... Studio looked much like the existing studio so I loaded up a design, inserted the new blade and pressed cut. So off it went, slightly quieter and slightly faster than before. I set up both Cameos and tested them speed wise and activated a noise sensor app on my phone to check the noise. The new cutter was slightly faster and cutting, slightly quieter and a bit smoother. We're talking a few seconds here though so its not lightning fast compared to the old one. Whether this is down to the fact that my old Cameo has seen daily use for well over a year or the new blade or a combination of everything but it seemed... well a bit slicker, but not by much.

Size wise it fitted right into the slot of the old cameo and didn't seem at all different apart from the big blue touchscreen on the side.

So... the upshot is that its slightly faster, slightly quieter and a bit shinier (big blue touchscreen aside). I have one reservation though about how long the touchscreen will last as its a resistive film as opposed to a proper mobile phone class touch screen.

Is it worth getting if you have a Cameo 1? No, not for the extra £250. Is it worth getting if you want a Cameo and don't have one? Definitely. Its a quality product that the new version has just smoothed off the corners on the old one, but its pretty much of a muchness between the two. I'll keep my old Cameo and run them side by side when it gets busy, but at the moment its nice having a wee bit slicker, quicker and quieter machine on the desk. The touchscreen looks impressively bright too :)

bespokevans
01-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Very good machine, a little better than original but both very good machines.

DJMarkland
17-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Great review, looks like I'm getting one now. Thanks

Danny

DANNYD
31-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Have a quick question hope someone can tell me if you can Network the cameo, have got a usb to ethernet adapter but dosnt come up

phoenixalpha
31-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Don't think so, never tried it with the original or the new version mind you.

DJMarkland
31-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Not 100% but I don't think so

Ravisteam
07-04-2015, 03:00 AM
Hi Guys where you can buy a one for the best price with good support ????..Thanks

KathG
07-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Not sure where the best price is, but if your a premium member of the forum you could buy the Cameo 2 from Yolo and get your 10% discount.
I have always had a quick service from Yolo.

Kath G

Spike1865
07-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Hi Guys where you can buy a one for the best price with good support ????..Thanks
These prices are without VAT but I heard they not bad for support. As good as I can see.
http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/silhouette-cameo-packs.asp?gclid=CKbYkfv848QCFa7KtAod0SEAag

DANNYD
08-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Got mine from ebay for £220

Ravisteam
08-04-2015, 02:48 AM
Thanks guys ..

DJMarkland
08-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Got mine from BMS, £200 ex VAT and lots of loyalty points too :)

Buster64
14-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Considering purchasing the new cameo, looking to start with vinyls for clothing printing and also have a picture framing facility on the side so could use it alongside it as well...... dont have much funding floating about so this would get me up and running

Ravisteam
16-04-2015, 01:44 AM
Got mine from ebay for £220

Who did you buy it from ..Is that the Italian company ??Thanks

DANNYD
16-04-2015, 05:31 AM
HI Ravi Yes based in Italy

Ravisteam
16-04-2015, 08:29 AM
HI Ravi Yes based in Italy

Hi Thanks DannyD, Are they good and did you have to pay any import tax ??...Do you recommend them ??..Thanks

Spike1865
16-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Hi Ravi. Italy is goods in free circulation as its EU. No D/T as Vat paid their side.

Ravisteam
16-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Hi Ravi. Italy is goods in free circulation as its EU. No D/T as Vat paid their side.

Great ..Thanks Spike ...that's very helpful ..

DANNYD
21-04-2015, 12:49 AM
Hi Ravi, the only down side is the euro plug it comes with

Ravisteam
21-04-2015, 01:21 AM
Hi Ravi, the only down side is the euro plug it comes with

Its not a big deal lol..!! .I bought a one and waiting for it to be delivered .Thanks Guys .. These one are 260 USD in US and 260 Pounds in UK ....what a difference ..!!

Ali P
21-04-2015, 02:47 PM
I love both my cameos (old version) - I bought one new then a second hand one as a back up so I use both when it's busy. It is interesting to hear that the new model is quieter as that is my only issue. Mine are so noisy and as connected via cable are rather close to the computer where I am sitting! Great pieces of equipment for the smaller stuff though.

DANNYD
22-04-2015, 05:26 AM
Yeah Ravi i looked around for a while prices on ave was as you say £260, cracking little machine too

Ravisteam
26-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Yeah Ravi i looked around for a while prices on ave was as you say £260, cracking little machine too

hi DannyD I recited the cutter took only 3days to deliver ....Still got no time to look at it ..Its 40 pounds cheaper and brand new ...What vinyl are you using ??....Do you buy rolls ??...I am looking for t-shirt vinyl......Same time where about London you are from ..??

DANNYD
28-04-2015, 12:42 AM
I get my 305mm rolls off Ebay Rav, North London