PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - paper stuck to mugs?

ronniethejackrussell
06-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi, i'v been visiting the forum for a while and now have a question to ask, so be gentle with me!

We have started to print mugs using a heat press and something we have noticed is that around the image is like a white outline, as if the paper has burned to the mug? I hope that makes it clear. It doesn;t seem to polish off, and you can only notice it in certain lights.

We are cooking them at around 190 degrees C, for about 200 secs.

If anyone has any ideas, i'd love to hear them!!

Thanks for you help

NASH
06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
try 180 degrees for 180 seconds

Andrew
06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
What paper and mug are you using? It sounds like the coating of the mug is melting slightly under the heat and the fibres of the paper then gets stuck in it. The heat and time really shouldn't be to much to do this so either the temp of the press is not reading correctly or the mug coating is of poor quality. I had a batch of metal before that I had to print at 170 to not melt the poly coating.

JSR
23-08-2010, 01:22 AM
I would say it's the coating of the mug.

I get the same issue when I print mugs with what I refer to as a "soft" coating - in my case it's primarily the colour change mugs. Not only does the paper stick, but the area of contact between paper and mug turns yellow/orange.

The only way to do the mugs in an acceptable way is to back off the temperature and then increase the time to compensate. The resulting print might be a little soft but it's usually acceptable. I use a mug oven for these so it'd be no good giving you my figures (and I can't necessarily guarantee the temperature of my oven either).

Normal mugs with a decent dishwasher safe coating (RN, Orca, etc) can tolerate mug higher temperatures will no ill-effects. We're kind of spoiled with how much we can manhandle them and still get an excellent print - so much so that when we're doing mugs will less robust coatings, we wonder why we get issues.

Ian M
23-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Chloe,

I use 180 degrees at 180 seconds & have no problems at all. It does seem your settings are just a bit too high.

I agree with Andrew & JSR about the coating that seems to be melting a bit & that is why you are getting the outlines etc.

The Orca & RN coated mugs are always the best to use & you tend to find the quality is very good overall.

Do you dunk your mugs in water after printing them to cool them down? If you don't & want to give it a try make sure it is warm water & not cold as this can 'ping' the mugs (crack then).

Let's know how you go on.

Ian :D

daniboy0812
18-09-2010, 08:51 PM
am still new to this but have cracked it & getting perfect sublimation everytime 300 mugs printed & counting!!

190 degrees c & 190 secs with a nice tight pressure (give it some wellie!! lol) insert mug into press once up to 190 c.

make sure your artwork & images are of high res (300 dpi) quality, using 'photo' print setting & print onto smooth bright white side of sub paper (i got it wrong too) - after 190 secs then place mugs into a bowl or bucket to cool - i place in cool water & never had a mug crack - cooling the mug after cooking stops sublimation process & keeps your images nice & sharp.

found out through a few wasted pounds on mugs - i use the 10oz wycombe mug - its by far the best quality & most consistent
mug used so far - not cheap, bout £1.20 a pop but surely its worth getting a good quality image onto a mug rather than something that looks cheap with a cheap mug from god knows where. Graham at Transfer Press has loads in stock & regularly supplies me with many boxes at a time.

this technique works for me so if your having problems then its probably the el cheapo mugs you bought at 'asda price'!!

cheap mugs usually give poor results so i rather invest in a mug i can be proud to send to my customers

will happily answer any q's to newbies having problems sublime_designs@hotmail.co.uk

regards joel