PDA

View Full Version : New...and would love some advice...!

VSW
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Hello all...
I have been reading up on dye sub printing as I would really like to start to do a few things in my spare time after work etc.. I have quickly realised that there is a mass of infomation, styles, techniques etc etc out there...! Therefore, if I can be so bold to ask a few 'shortcut' questions - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mugs -
Is it possible to get my hands on a mug press and starter kit for less than £100 - it can even be a good second hander - or would you suggest new is best? also, would equipment would I need and what cost should I expect? Can I use my Epson dx3850 to print the images also?

Mousemats -
Again do I need any special equipment here or can i use my epson printer on special paper - can the images be ironed on or do I need a heat press? Perhaps it is possible to buy a combined press?

Anything else - as you can guess I'm looking to do this fairly ecomonically at first, maybe trying to sell the odd item to family, friends, perhaps ebay - and then if I can find something thats sells well and makes a good return, then perhaps expand... any help gratefully accepted!!!!

Many thanks!
:?

Justin
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
I think you'll be struggling to get a decent press for much less than £150. There are plenty on eBay for less but you'll end up spending more on wasted consumables and you'll probably eventually end up buying a better press. it really is a case of buying right in the first instance if your funds permit.

You may get a second hand press but tread carefully. Heat blankets are the usual culprit when things go wrong and you need a regular supplier that can get them for you.

You need to budget for the press, mugs, paper, printer, inks, heat tape. You'll find info. on the supported printers here on the forum, the DX3850 isn't one of them though. Again you'll find discussions on paper etc. Inks will be the most expensive. Sawgrass have a patent on sublimation inks and as such prices are kept fairly high. You'll either need cartridges or a bulk ink system (CIS) Take a look at a few of the companies on our suppliers list at the top of this section and you'll start to get an idea of costs. When you see how many mugs you can print before the CIS runs out the cost isn't bad at all, it's just the initial investment.

Mousemats - You'll need to use sublimation inks again (as above) You'll also need a heat press, again do your research, many have started with cheap inferior presses only to find themselves spending out twice having lost a lot of money (and time!)
I'm not a fan of combination presses personally but some members use them and are happy. I don't think you'll save a great deal going down this route but possibly a little. I have one of these combo presses here as a friend lent it to me as a backup but I'm yet to try it, build quality leaves a little to be desired.

There's no cheap way to set up really. Sure you can cut a few corners, maybe start off just printing mugs for example so you won't need a flat heat press and build up gradually. You could get a complete set-up package from one of the suppliers which would contain everything you need. It's a learning curve and you'll need to expect to waste a few blanks in the early stages.
Hopefully this can be kept to a minimum by using the knowledge on this forum.

Hope this helps a bit, I'm sure other members will be along soon with their own comments.

VSW
09-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks Justin! I was hoping I wouldnt have to invest on a new printer also - by the sound of it I could be talking around £1k to start this off... I was hoping to test the water first of all for a lot less... If anyone else knows where I can get hold of some low cost quality equipment pls let me know... :roll:

The quest continues!

Many thanks!

Lee
:oops:

bms
09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi Lee,
If you want to get a feel for new prices on starting your own business then several of the suppliers (us included) do startup packages. Details from us are linked below...
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/130/1/business-startup-deals.htm