PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good ebay deal?

VSW
10-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Hi there again....

As I am looking to do a little mug printing - and I'm new to all this - could someone please take a look at this deal I've found on eBay - to my untrained eye it seems a pretty good starting point!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBLIMATION-MUG-P ... 3cafb200cb (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBLIMATION-MUG-PRINTING-BUSINESS-MUG-PRESS-PRINTER-/260645716171?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_B_I_Business_for_Sale_CV&hash=item3cafb200cb)

Cheers!

:)

Lee

accdave
10-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm suprised the lisiting has been allowed to stand. sawgrass are very touchy about who sells their inks, and I'm not sure they sell it in 30ml bottles.

It's not just about the price, what about any after sales service, read the Lovecut thread and you will see an example of how e-bay sellers can operate.

bms
10-08-2010, 07:42 AM
A couple of observations:
This looks like an Epson S21 (which isn't a supported printer) and there's no mention of a profile to work with the Artainium inks. The inks aren't in official bottles (and don't come in 30ml bottles) so this isn't an authorised supplier of Sawgrass inks and, to be honest, how would you know if it truely is Artainium inks? The paper is an unknown brand and all your getting are 12 mugs. The ink cartridges are supposedly prefilled and in the printer but I wouldn't recommend sending any printer with cartridges installed by courier. You pay your money and you take your chances (and I'm obviously biased as a supplier ;) ) but my advice would be to be very cautious.

If you want a deal on a cut down mug start up package (it won't be as cheap as the Ebay deal) then, as I'm off on holiday from Sunday, let me know and I'll put something together. If it appeals then you can post the deal, prices etc on the forum for feedback before commiting. Just pm me if you want initially.

VSW
10-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi Martin
Thanks for your comments - when you say "unsupported" what do you mean exactly? The listing info says support is available?
Sorry - I'm new to all this - I never knew this world existed until last week!
Cheers
Lee

bms
10-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Sorry, what I mean by "unsupported" is that Sawgrass have tested this printer and it didn't stand up to their testing so they don't support the printer, which in turn means there isn't a profile available for it specifically and you may have problems with colour management and possibly with using the printer medium-long term with sublimation inks. Throughout the authorised distributors of sublimation inks then we steer clear of this printer but as it's a cheap printer then it's not surprising that some people bundle them with sublimation inks to undercut the official market. I've had so many calls over the years from customers that have bought printers & inks from certain sources only to have to buy a different system to get it working properly. I feel genuinely sorry for those customers that have to fork out a further few hundred pounds and then it's cost them more to get started.

The Ebay offer works out at £418 inc delivery - the deal I've pm'd you is only £32 more for a supported printer, inks, mug press, trupix paper, roll of tape and some RN coated mugs to get started. For £32 is it worth the hassle?

VSW
10-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a superb deal to me! I've just pm'd you a few questions!
Many thanks!

Justin
10-08-2010, 12:21 PM
"How do I pay" and "When will it arrive" Only 2 questions I'd ask there :lol:

I've said it before but it's important to repeat it....Never underestimate the value of getting good support, you'll certainly need it when you start out.

VSW
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I can definately see that. The advice I'm already getting is proving invaluable.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but considering to get started is a few more quid then I thought, this idea would have to go from "initial tinkering - making some money" to "getting a good return" - so - for all you cup sellers - whats the reality of selling your products? I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this is a good opportunity, although I do have a few ideas of what and where to approach..!

Many thanks!

Lee

Justin
10-08-2010, 02:18 PM
It all depends where your market is and if you have a niche area. Selling on eBay you're immediately up against many other sellers who seem happy to sell there mugs with very little profit. That's fine if you're selling 1000's but I'm guessing you won't be...not straight away anyway ;)

VSW
10-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I was hoping to produce something 'unique' (where have you all heard this before!) for the likes of eBay etc and I know I'd have to keep prices low, but where I am there are a lot of small indep. businesses which I would hope to be able to do some promo stuff and hopefully design some for them to want to sell..that coupled with local fetes, village shows etc - what do you reckon??

Justin
10-08-2010, 04:29 PM
By the time you factor in fees on eBay/PayPal (NoPal I call it) it really begs the question is it worth it? Local fetes etc. are a great idea, if you could take photo's there and then and take orders great. Some folk have trailers set up to enable them to print 'on-site' which takes it to a whole new level. It's all about testing the water and seeing what works for you. Mugs is certainly one of the best places to start ;)

It may seem like a big investment at this stage but how many other small businesses allow you to set-up so quickly and easily and be making money this quickly? You'll get the money back from your initial investment pretty quickly I'd have thought.

Kaz
10-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't touch that ebay listing with a barge pole.

The seller cannot refuse paypal for starters, and I could go on, but I won't :lol:

Ian M
10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Lee,

Take Martin up on his offer & you won't go wrong.

I blew the photo up to have a better luck & the mug press looks like a very cheap version of the one I use. The one I use only cost me just £120 & it has done hundreds of mugs with no problems at all. I also noticed that the pack of paper has Chineese writing on it so god knows what make that is.

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foor barge pole to be honest & looking at his feedback I can't see sublimation equipment being offered previously by the seller.

Give Martin a call as it is a very good offer he is offering you & being a Yorkshire man with some Scottish blood in my veins I know a good offer when I see one. :D

Ian

leethesign
11-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi Lee - we'll have to have numbers -

I've just seen your post and the various comments and Imust say that I agree woleheartedly with the advice you've been given here. On fist impression, this looks like a good deal ....BUT .....I've just gone on that route to save myself a few quid and I'm now coming across problems with using non-supported inks and printer, cheap paper, cheap mug press and so on ad nauseum.

The only real bargain I managed to get was a slightly used Geo Knight flat bed clam press with a large platen in perfect nick for just over 200 quids and it's far better than the Chinese ones I've seen. However, everything else seems to be giving me problems. So beware - my advice (I wish I'd taken it myself) is - buy once and buy right.....Martin's deal is one I'd have grabbed with both hands if I'd been lucky enought to come across it a while ago.

Fortunately, you've joined a forum where there's lots of friendly and helpful people so you've a chance to get sorted properly before chucking money away.

It's always wise to remember "there's no such thing as a free lunch".......and "if something seems too good to be true then it probably is"......right end of cliches.......

purpledragon
11-08-2010, 06:20 AM
£4.50 profit per mug hes having a laff considering the average selling price is £5.00 that means for 50p you are getting a mug the ink and paper to print it on the packaging and the electric thats a lot for 50p innit. i might take up this sublimarion lark it seems theres huge profits to be made!!!!!!!
brett

VSW
11-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Thank you for your comments everyone - the way ahead seems clear....and if I can convince the missus that spending double what I told her.....

......tactics needed I fancy...!

Cheers
Lee