PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations please

Kaz
10-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi folks

We currnetly have a 38x38 heat press that we bought from ebay, and it's not doing the job it needs to do :(

I've got the strangest feeling that it's got blank spots on, or isn't heating to the temperature it says, as it's a total nightmare.

It's a clam shell design, and I'm also fed up burning my fingers on it :cry:

So, can anyone recommend a good heat press please?

I've heard talk about Adkins presses on here, are they any good, and if so, any ideas who has them at the best price?

Ideally, I'm looking for a swing away.

Justin
10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I use the Adkins swing-away and it's a great press. That said, I believe the latest models aren't made in the UK, I may be wrong. My press is a few years old and is built like an ox, I had one of the newer models (grey platen) and build quality was still good but not as good. Only problems I've ever had, couple of blown fuses and the spring on the back can snap (all of £1 each!)

Swing-away is certainly the way to go for t-shirts as you can get all the way around but other than that there's no massive benefit. If I wasn't doing tee's and had the budget I'd look at the Stahls Hotronix (Target Transfers) Build quality is supposed to be second to none. They have auto release presses which is useful (I have this on a Chinese press) and the new presses even have swing away AND drawer opening options. These presses are very expensive though. You can rent them which I considered to get a feel for them.

If you can get a good Adkins second hand I think that's the best way to go. I was lucky to get one pretty much unused. They're in high demand so prices are still kept high.

bms
10-08-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.xpres.co.uk/shoppingcart/acatalog/Presses.html

Xpres do the premium range as per the link above. We can get these marginally cheaper from Xpres so if you want Xpres to supply with a discount off the price then please let us know.

Kaz
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Would love to be able to afford one of those Stahls, maybe next year :lol:

Thanks Martin, will take a look at those and get back to you.

Just had a look on ebay for an adkins press, and someone reckons they got an Adkins from the magic touch :?: But I can't get their site to load just now :(

Justin
10-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Yes, Magic Touch also stock them....

http://www.themagictouch.co.uk/hardware/heatpress.htm

Kaz
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
What about Geo Knight heat presses, are they any good?

Justin
10-08-2010, 01:35 PM
DK3 mug press is good but personally I wouldn't bother with the flat heat presses, they have a decent reputation but I don't think they're anything special.

Kaz
10-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks Justin.

I'm trying to register an account with stahls, but I don't have a valid VAT ID, so I can't, will need to phone my OH and get his companies one :lol:

Justin
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
If you need to speak with someone at Target Transfers try Heather Robertson in Sales ;)

Kaz
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks again Justin :)

Have now registered direct with stahls, just waiting on them verifying details and sending me an account number, and then I can see how much they charge :D

draig
10-08-2010, 02:57 PM
What about Geo Knight heat presses, are they any good?

I've been running a Geo Knight for the past 9 years, no problems at all. Reason I went for this is the lifetime warranty on the element, but not had to call on it (you watch I've just jinxed the thing :roll: ). There was a problem quite a few years back where people were experiencing problems with the power connection cord, but I think they've resolved that.

Mine gets used for t-shirts, metal, ceramic tiles, mousemats and so on, not everyday, but still found it very reliable.

Sharon

Justin
10-08-2010, 04:24 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. Bear in mind the area that an Adkins press takes up. it's a big press anyway but when you factor in the space provided it's quite large! It swings right open and also behind the main body of the press to enable you to get to all 4 corners of the base. You need to have it some way from any wall. Perhaps not described that too well but take a look here for the working area required....

http://www.aadkins.com/images/PDF's/bet ... elease.pdf (http://www.aadkins.com/images/PDF's/beta_range/beta_maxi_quick_release.pdf)

Kaz
10-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I hadn't thought about the space I'm going to need for it :(

Will need to see if I can re-arrange my room to make it fit, somehow :lol:

Justin
10-08-2010, 05:11 PM
When I had my office/workshop it wasn't a problem...Now I'm in the spare room it's a different matter! :cry:

Kaz
10-08-2010, 05:13 PM
It's the spare room that I'm using and is full to bursting with the amount of crap, oops, stock that I have in it :lol:

Have spent all day looking at presses, so now I'm going to buy the kids new shoes for going back to school next week, then I'll take a look at the room.

Justin
10-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Lol. Let me know if you want me to take a few measurements!

Kaz
10-08-2010, 05:20 PM
If you could, that would be great, thanks Justin :D

shoe shopping >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kaz
16-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Justin, did you ever get those measurements?

And what is the difference between a europa and a jarmin press? Are they both the same?

Justin
16-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Europa and Jarin are both the same I believe. I had a Europa years ago...never again.

I have my press sat approx. 43" from the wall, it takes up a footprint of 36" x 23" (Back legs further out than front) Height wise you need around 25" (If you were thinking of putting it under something!)
The depth away from the wall allows for the press to open up past 80 degrees, it's more like 120 at a guess. Open at 90 degrees the press is 36" wide.

Weight is another factor, at least 50Kg, needs a very solid table/bench, ideally bolted through but I've never done that.

They really are one of the best presses, especially (in my opinion) the older ones, identifiable as colour is the same through-out, newer ones have a grey upper platen. I'd love to try a Hotronix auto-release but they're expensive. They're a clamshell but this has been improved due to the centre pressure (uneven pressure can be a problem with clam presses) and also the newer presses open wider at the back by a few inch to allow a garment to be placed over.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else ;)

Kaz
16-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Again, thanks :D

Was also looking at the hotronix auto release.

OH has been driving me crazy as he keeps throwing something else into the mix, lol

Justin
16-08-2010, 09:58 PM
What else has he thrown in? :shock: lol.

The auto release is a nice bit of kit, it looks very well built. I have a cheap Chinese import press that uses a similar method and even on this press it's very effective. I wouldn't have thought that auto-release would be particularly useful but it is.

Kaz
16-08-2010, 10:02 PM
You name it, he's thrown it in :lol:

I can only do so much in the one day, my heads bursting with the other things he's looking at :shock:

Justin
16-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Has he thrown this one in......http://www.pressmech.co.uk/

Never seen these presses in the flesh, pressmech are members of the DSF. The presses are UK made, they don't look very pretty and are top end price wise but I imagine support and availability of parts would be very good. I'd like to see one in action.

That said, if you get a decent press it shouldn't need many parts over its lifetime ;)

Kaz
16-08-2010, 10:31 PM
None of the presses I've looked at are very pretty :lol:

Have just gave OH the link :D

Justin
16-08-2010, 10:35 PM
These look as though they use basic timers, straight forward parts that would be easy to swap should the need arise. Username for Pressmech on the forum is Dick Townsend but they've not been active here for a while.

Justin
21-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Kaz, have you found a new press yet? I've come across someone selling an Adkins press as well a few other things. Will get a price asap.

Kaz
21-08-2010, 05:44 PM
That would be great Justin as I've not done anything else aout getting one, yet :(

been too busy with the kids going back to school etc etc