PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Trademarks - Can you use Pre-licenced images?

Ucase Ltd
11-02-2015, 03:28 PM
I have no knowledge of this but hoping somebody here will.

I was looking up rules and restrictions on using images from "the land before time" (My daughter is obsessed with it).

Didn't really find much but I did come across this page: http://www.trademarkia.com/the-land-before-time-73759691.html

It says the trademark was cancelled in 1996. Does that mean I can use the images without penalty?

Would appreciate anyone who is more clued up than me.

Cheers,
John.

pisquee
11-02-2015, 03:46 PM
I would assume the trademark to be something that was cancelled due to no longer trading under that branding, but the images would still be copyright and either the property of the company or the original artist (or possibly a third party if the company owned it and subsequently sold it)

viccar
11-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Wouldn't the photographer have copyright over photo's?

Ucase Ltd
11-02-2015, 03:57 PM
O.K, Thanks - I thought it seemed a little to simple.

I thought perhaps they might have entered public domain if trademark had expired.

Oh Well... Nevermind eh'

GoonerGary
11-02-2015, 09:37 PM
It will enter public domain in about 70 years after the death of the copyright holder...can't remember the exact time, but design rights and trademarks will expire. As a rule you can't reproduce anything you didn't create yourself.

Ucase Ltd
12-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Thanks Gary - Glad I asked rather than taking a chance. Don't fancy a letter from Universal Studios.

Have you noticed on eBay how many people are selling things like "Frozen" and other Disney products? I'm sure it will catch up with them eventually.

GoonerGary
12-02-2015, 12:00 PM
For one couple it did! Posted a few days ago.

Dave271069
12-02-2015, 07:02 PM
As a rule you can't reproduce anything you didn't create yourself.

Dont think that would be strictly true,

GoonerGary
12-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Of course it was a sweeping statement, but a large percentage of the population are under the belief you can take any image off the internet and profit from it.