PDA

View Full Version : solvent printer - AGAIN :)

Paul
17-02-2015, 03:40 PM
OK. me again.
I want to start print transfers for t-shirts so i was looking at BN20 from roland but more i read and look at the videos Im more against it. people say is slooooowww... as i not get rush orders so speed wouldn't be such a problem but apparently this printer is too sloooooowwww :)
then i looked at mimic. lovely little machine (24" size) and faster. but cost bit more then BN20.
so then i had a thought. I already have dogs nuts cuter (ROLAND gx24) so i wondered if it wouldn't be any cheaper to get only solvent printer and not the print - cut system? i wonder if you know where i could get half descent printer? Sorry, but I don't know whats the difference between solvent and eco solvent printers. so if you could help me out a bit?
would it be much cheaper to have just printer?

Justin
17-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Looks like a great machine but yes, it really...really, is very slow! Look at the Mimakis Paul...maybe get a great deal AT THE SHOW!!!

pisquee
17-02-2015, 04:35 PM
speed is relative - our 9600 is slow compared to modern printers, in practice this just means in busy periods it is printing 24/7 with a pile of transfers waiting for our staff each morning.

Paul
17-02-2015, 04:50 PM
what prices we are talking about here? what i am after is just a printer as i already have a cutter. so if i can save few £££ there then great! i don't mind if i have two separate machines for the job. as long as i don't have to sell kidney as i already have only one lol :)

ArferMo
17-02-2015, 04:52 PM
what did you get with the other one :-)

Paul
17-02-2015, 04:58 PM
i don't know. was born like that. At least this is what my mum said ;)

i can't see any scar thou... :rolleyes:

socialgiraffe
18-02-2015, 09:53 AM
As Pisquee says, its all relative. If you take that car vinyl I sent you recently, that took three minutes to print and cut. That could have been any number of colours (including white and metallic) and cut to any size and shape. Only a Roland can do this (see further down about Mimaki).

If the BN20 is the same engine as a VS300 then although it does feel slow, its a dam sight quicker than any other method.

As an example I just printed 1000 3" circular stickers in the best possible resolution. Job took four hours from start of first sheet to finished and packed with the added bonus that while it was printing I was able to get on with a bulk water bottle order.

The £13k (for mine) might put some people off though :-)

From what I have found out about Mimaki's, if you are printing using solvent inks you need to leave the printed sheet to gas off for 24 hours before cutting if the print bleeds over the cut line. WIth a Roland you don't. Mimaki owners feel free to correct me on this.

Paul
18-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Thank you simon. Yeah. £13k is little to much for me and also my need to ne about 24".
so bn20 is the option for me as its within mu budget. But i wonder if there are printers only out there that will be cheaper then bn20? As i said i already own cutter and not always will contour cut any way...

reference sticker, thank you very much! Fella loved it and we going to order all from you if thats ok??

liannef
18-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Been looking around suppliers and they all seem to offer the print and cut machines but can't seem to find any that just do solvent printers so I can see if having two separate machines would be better? as ArferMo just posted a link to a you tube video showing that the combined print and cut machines are much slower than separate machines so like Paul wanted to look into the option of having two separate machines, anyone do this, is there much difference in price etc?
Thanks
Lianne

neilb
18-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Mutoh do a 24" eco solvent printer but not got a clue on price http://www.grafityp.co.uk/digital-printers-mutoh-valuejet628.html

ArferMo
18-02-2015, 04:15 PM
There is one being launched at the show at the weekend

liannef
18-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Should I be looking at the HP, Epson and Canon wide format printers or do these use different kinds of inks to that of the Mutoh etc. I too just want to use it for printed vinyl transfers onto garments and other items and possibly stickers as well but not really for outdoor use like banners etc.

socialgiraffe
18-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Personally I would look for a Roland print and cut machine, Secondhand that has had a service agreement or is sold by Roland or a Roand dealer. Rolands are built like tanks and are a superb machine. I appreciate that not everyone can purchase new but a decent secondhand one should not be too pricey and well worth the money.

Personally and having owned both over the years I would still go for a print n cut machine over a print and separate cutter.