PDA

View Full Version : magic touch printers

jennywren
11-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Is it true that with the wow 7.1 that magic touch say that only the press, printer and only oki lazers (that they recommend) are suitable. haveing read the few post about wow 7.1 I am confused what can be done and used. :roll: Are there other printers,
press and lazer ink that can be used. I have read the post that other people have put but still can't figure it out.

bms
11-08-2010, 09:24 PM
TMT recommend the Oki Laser printers as this works fine with the TTC, OBM and WOW papers they sell. The WOW paper doesn't need a special printer as all you do is print it on paper in b/w and in colour for the process to work. The VERY important part is the heat press and pressure to make this work properly. If you do decide to go this route and get a different printer and find that the process doesn't work then I'm sure TMT will recommend the Oki printer is purchased before too much technical help is provided (as this is the set up they have tried and tested to work).

jennywren
11-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Thank you martin, are you saying go by the printer they recommend and get a good press with the time and pressure would be just as good, and go with the printer they recommend. this is for the WoW 7.1. ( or go with both that they recommend.) What is the difference between oki printer and any other printer. As I have learnt from this forum that sometimes a mix and match for different suppliers can give the same results. I know that magic touch says it works better with what they recomend but its hard to tell if they say that just to prompt you in to buy from them ( like the soap powders adverts with all their claims) So I value your opinion Martin and the forums to get a veiw of what you think with out the blurb.I have to decide which way I'll go as I have a couple of options and I nearly always take a long time to make my mind up and once money is spent you can't change your mind.

smartarts
11-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Hi Jenny,
We have been using WOW 7.1 for quite sometime, we purchased our press and cutter from The Magic Touch but I got them to send a couple of samples of WOW and tried it through our Konica colour photocopier and we haven't had any problems. The down side we have found with WOW is it is fiddly to use and expensive, but the results are good.
Alan

jennywren
12-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Do you need a cutter for the WoW 7.1 I thought it was self weeding. In which way is it fiddly. Hope you don't mind all the questions but is nice to get feedback from someone that uses it. from what Igather you need a good press A3, lazer printer ( do you use the oik ink) and Wow paper have I missed anything.

bms
12-08-2010, 08:44 AM
You don't need a cutter to use WOW.
TMT set up is expensive because they charge RRP+ on everything they sell! The Oki C5750 printer is great - we used one daily in the office for all our normal office printing and then use TMT papers when we demo or have a job to print with this material - this uses the standard Oki toner. The Oki from TMT is more expensive as they provide a dedicated printer driver which shows TTC, OBM, WOW in the print menu - if you're happy with the settings that come as standard then you can save around £100 on the printer. The press is important. We've experimented with different presses and have had good results, but TMT will recommend their own machines. As I put in a previous post we can get the presses from Xpres (same as TMT) at a small discount if you want to save a few more £££'s.

smartarts
12-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi Jenny,
A laser printer uses dry toner not ink, our colour copier uses the toner supplied from the maker. It is a fiddly process as well as creating a mask you have to print the image and a mask, if you have a look on TMT's website they do some short videos.
You have to press three times again that's fiddly, the other thing you can't do is put your finished garment in the tumble drier.
Hope this helps,
Alan

jennywren
12-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Do you mean any good lazer printer will do the job, Can the driver be down loaded anywhere else. (Is that allowed :?: )If I brought the printer can I use other makes of dry toner in it or does it oly run on oki dry toner. Would this cases problems. I have watch the vidios that you said and the fiddly bit looks ok. Fiddly to me means Kniting :lol: Martin do you not sell a similar press.

bms
12-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Other laser printers may work, but I don't know all the lasers that do/ do not. We've used a Konica laser in the past which was fine, but the Oki C5750 is a good printer. I would go for this. The driver is TMT property so not downloadable elsewhere but you don't need that - the standard driver that comes with the printer is fine and you just select paper type as MEDIUM for printing onto the WOW papers. We sell a couple of presses - a large clam shell press and a smaller 8 in 1 combination swing away press but can get the same as Xpres/ TMT sell at a small discount.

jennywren
12-08-2010, 07:58 PM
The printer is sold direct from oki I've no idea of the price that magic touch is selling. The c5575 is only A4 will I need A3 printer for using Wow or is it only A3 press that I need. Just to be sure that I understand if I buy the printer from magic touch I get the settings but if I buy the printer direct (the one they recommend) I don't. Could you Martin pm with your price of press that you
would recommed that would be the best to work with WoW. This post and the replies have answered all my questions that I could'nt get from other sources and I wish to really say a big Thank you for all your help, THANK YOU :D . I shall give this product a great deal of thought before I decide what I shall do. But at least I hame more information to base my decision, and way forwarded on how saving on cost can be made. The only thing I can pass on the c5575 dry toners are recyleable.

bms
12-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Just to be sure that I understand if I buy the printer from magic touch I get the settings but if I buy the printer direct (the one they recommend) I don't. Could you Martin pm with your price of press that you would recommed that would be the best to work with WoW.

If you buy the Oki from a source other than TMT then I'll let you know the settings - so don't feel as though you have to buy it from TMT. We have tested our DF450D with WOW and this works fine, but if you want to spend a bit more money on the Adkins presses (which are swing away) then they would be an excellent choice as well.

logobear
16-08-2010, 01:10 PM
We have had the Oki from TMT for 2 1/2 years and it is a great A4 printer, thou the running costs are high once you factor in new drums/fusers and expensive toners periodically.
We have taken up the deal through TMT for the reconditioned Xerox DC12 direct from Xerox special events. It is an outstanding A3 colour laser copier printer at 12/min coliur and 50/min mono.
It is on a 1 month notice rental for a minimum monthly spend of £160 counting colour clicks at 16p and mono at 4p.
All toner, service call outs etc inclusive.
This gives monthly costs about the same as for our little A4 Oki but for a much berrer A3 machine that we can do all our stationary, price lists etc on - effectively free as we would spend about £150 a month on consumables for the Oki.
WOW works fine through the Xerox, thou their tattoo paper doesn't work as well, - perhaps due to the silicone oil ?
Agree that you need a great press for successful WOW. The Beta press badged by TMT and Xpress are both made in UK by Adkins and are a great investment. I have had one for 16 years (we have 3) - you can often find them on ebay for about 60% of the new price.
WOW is a fiddly process, expect to waste the first box as you familiarise yourself with the process, but it opens up decorating options that you hgave to turn away otherwise. WE charge £20 for the first A4, and £15 for subsequent sheets. Extra pressings are £3 each. it is not a process to rush until you get the hang of it.
There are new transfere applications in the pipeline, they will be releases soon as the patents get sorted out, but WOW is an invaluable option the does get a premium price.
It presses at 130c so can be used on all sorts of unusual fabrics, it feels sort and washes very well.
Phil

thespringonion
02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Am I correct saying that the difference between a stock c5750n and a "TMT enhanced" unit is nothing more than the extra paper selection choice (which I understand is another susbstitute for medium paper.etc.), or is there any hardware changes too?

bms
02-09-2010, 07:36 AM
For your extra money, you get a sticker on the printer and a different driver, which gives you settings for TTC, CPM, OBM, WOW etc, but these settings are the same as Labels 1, Medium, Heavy etc that come as standard with the Oki driver. There are no hardware changes to the C5750 for TMT papers - there are some modifications to the A3 model, but not the A4 C5750.

thespringonion
03-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up Martin! :D

solarbear
01-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I've been looking at getting the Oki laser printer to use MT papers for a start up t-shirt print business, but it appears the C5750 has been discontinued, can anyone advise the new model number? Preferably i'd like to go for an A3 printer, but and A4 would be fine to begin I think.

Slightly unrelated, but I'm also keen to get a cutter, I'm reading lots of good things about a robo cutter, but am I best getting a larger one? I'm worried i'll be limited in what I can achieve with the smaller hardware and will end up upgrading in the near future anyway.

draig
02-05-2011, 11:30 AM
I've been looking at getting the Oki laser printer to use MT papers for a start up t-shirt print business, but it appears the C5750 has been discontinued, can anyone advise the new model number? Preferably i'd like to go for an A3 printer, but and A4 would be fine to begin I think.

Slightly unrelated, but I'm also keen to get a cutter, I'm reading lots of good things about a robo cutter, but am I best getting a larger one? I'm worried i'll be limited in what I can achieve with the smaller hardware and will end up upgrading in the near future anyway.

I bought a Craft Robo/Silhouette last week, this was as an additional cutter to allow me to do Flock, 3d Puff, Rhinestone template and also contour cut around laser printed images (have the PC60 for 610mm wide). Since my laser printer is only A4 I decided not to go for the Graphtec CE5000-40 (Craft Robo Pro) which worked out at 5 times the price of the little CR/S.
If you are heading in the A3 laser direction then personally I would recommend the CE5000-40 over the smaller one, just my thoughts.

Sharon