PDA

View Full Version : Silouette Cameo "Registration Failed"

raydavies
22-02-2015, 11:54 AM
My wife and I are turning into gibbering wrecks and getting close to taking a hammer to our Cameo!

We tried over and over again to cut something yesterday and having wasted hours on it finally got it to work without "Registration Failed" coming up. The only thing we did differently was to move the image down a bit in case the image edge was confusing the poor thing: that worked.

Today, with a different image, we ensured we were not making yesterday's mistake but get "Registration Failed" every time!

We've shone a bright light on it.

Turned off and on again (several times).

Tried various adjustments to the cutting area.

Nothing worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Skye
22-02-2015, 12:10 PM
I remember reading somewhere that you can get this message if the mat covers the short "raised line" on the left hand side of the bed. i.e. just to the right of the holder where you change the length of the blade.

Karen

raydavies
22-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks Karen, I'll take a look at that later. We're taking the dogs out now and hope to come back refreshed! Cromer seafront and a coffee on the pier usually does the trick.

Ray

viccar
22-02-2015, 12:30 PM
What are you using to print on?

raydavies
22-02-2015, 12:33 PM
On this occasion it was Trupix.

Ray

spongerobinson
22-02-2015, 01:09 PM
I presume if your printing on Trupix, it's something that needs to be sublimated, so you'll be printing in reverse? This might mean your registration marks are also in reverse, so the Silhouette would have a hard time finding them?

raydavies
22-02-2015, 05:28 PM
I presume if your printing on Trupix, it's something that needs to be sublimated, so you'll be printing in reverse? This might mean your registration marks are also in reverse, so the Silhouette would have a hard time finding them?

Good thinking, but we reversed the image before bringing it into Silhouette Studio.

Thanks,

Ray

spongerobinson
22-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Good thinking, but we reversed the image before bringing it into Silhouette Studio.

Thanks,

Ray

Not to worry, just a thought that came to mind. Can I ask, purely out of curiosity, if your printing something to be sublimated, why are you cutting it anyway?

KathG
22-02-2015, 06:18 PM
This is just a thought as it happened to me the first time I used my Cameo. On the Cameo I had it set to load media when it should have been set to load mat. Took me a couple of attempts before I realized what I had done wrong.

Gygafo
26-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Try a can of air duster. Remove the blade and blow around the housing as there just may be dust (from cutting) on the sensor. Just an idea!

NikGrey
27-02-2015, 08:04 PM
I have to place Masking Tape over the original lines on my prints, and then carefully trace those lines again with a black ballpoint pen otherwise the cameo will not see the lines.

I tried taking the machine apart and cleaning it, some 'Light' torture, bright lights, water boarding and all sorts to no avail - the machine cant see the registration lines when you use some papers.

Gygafo
27-02-2015, 09:01 PM
I have to place Masking Tape over the original lines on my prints, and then carefully trace those lines again with a black ballpoint pen otherwise the cameo will not see the lines.

I tried taking the machine apart and cleaning it, some 'Light' torture, bright lights, water boarding and all sorts to no avail - the machine cant see the registration lines when you use some papers.

Not much fun when you take something apart and put it back together and it still has the same problem... Been there, done that, got the tee shirt (no pun intended). I must be real fortunate that I have not had any problems (yet) with print and cut using my Cameo. I have used it with lots of different types of printed media and just love it. However, I feel an upgrade to a wider format machine is due really soon.

socialgiraffe
28-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Can I ask, purely out of curiosity, if your printing something to be sublimated, why are you cutting it anyway?

errrr ditto on that.... :confused:

raydavies
28-02-2015, 06:39 PM
errrr ditto on that.... :confused:

Sorry to be so tardy in responding to posts, we've been a bit tied up with dogs and vets!

We are printing on a shiny satin material and find there's an unsightly impression in the material after pressing. If we tear around the image - which we've found to work on T shirts etc - we just wind up with an irregular shaped "unsightly impression". We decided that cutting would be the solution.

I'll let you know how we get on the registration problems when we get back to using the cutter - possibly tomorrow.

Thanks,

Ray

raydavies
04-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I've now solved my problem! I was placing the image too close, in fact touching the hatching at the top of the paper. This was apparently confusing the Cameo. I do wonder if the slightly murky look of sublimation transfer paper was adding to the problem. Nik's idea of enhancing the registration marks could be helpful if I get any more problems.

It's working just fine now.

Ray

socialgiraffe
04-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Sorry to be so tardy in responding to posts, we've been a bit tied up with dogs and vets!

No need to apologise, hope the dogs are ok :-)

Back on topic, have you though about trying a pillow, not sure on the exact name but they sit under the item you are pressing and apparently really help with softening the edges. Also try easing up on the pressure. In general sublimation does not need that much pressure (especially on garments/fabrics).