PDA

View Full Version : Kisscut - Self Weeding Transfer Paper .... anyone tried it?

AdamB
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Just been looking at this paper: http://www.kisscutpaper.com/paper.htm

Has anyone tried it?

KissCut Paper is a revolutionary breakthrough in transfer paper technology that everyone has been waiting for! KissCut is the first and only paper of its kind to transfer purely the printed image area and not the rest of the polymer coating - we call this technology ‘Self Weeding’.

KissCut Paper allows you to use transfer technology for image application without the need for cutting or leaving areas of unwanted transfer. KissCut patented technology allows you to print and transfer an image as with any other “regular” transfer paper. However with KissCut paper only the area of the sheet that has been printed will transfer to the required substrate.

Kaz
12-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Not tried the kisscut, though I'm using the Image Klip Koncert T paper, which is the same idea, which is also the same as the WOW paper from TMT.

It's a big learning curve, getting the temperatures right for fusing/pressure on the heat press. We have gone through goodness knows how many sheets trying to get it right, wish I hadn't bothered now, to be honest, it's an expensive learning curve :(

AdamB
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Not tried the kisscut, though I'm using the Image Klip Koncert T paper, which is the same idea, which is also the same as the WOW paper from TMT.

It's a big learning curve, getting the temperatures right for fusing/pressure on the heat press. We have gone through goodness knows how many sheets trying to get it right, wish I hadn't bothered now, to be honest, it's an expensive learning curve :(

By that, do you mean you have to do a mask and the other 'fiddly' stuff for dark t-shirts?

Couldn't find the Image Klip Koncert T paper on UK Soil on a Google Search, is it expensive?

John G
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't think the Kisscut paper is the same as wow - its a self weeding paper and only requires one press, I think the wow process looks like a right faff with masks etc.

Cheers john

Kaz
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi Adam

Yes, it's expensive :shock:

Try this site, they will send you out a sample pack for about a tenner

http://www.eztrans.co.uk/

And then you buy it through these guys

http://www.prestigeleisure.com/home.asp

I don't think the Kisscut paper is the same as wow - its a self weeding paper and only requires one press, I think the wow process looks like a right faff with masks etc.

Yup, that's how the Image Klip works aswell.

Might try and get a sample of that kisscut paper to try and see what it's like

Kaz
12-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Crikey, just realised, you need Kisscut ink to use that paper :(

Will stick with my Image Klip, and all the faffing about that it entails and use my laserjet

John G
12-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi Kaz, You don't need kisscut inks - just standard inkjet with no 2 part fusing or any other faff. I think you just print then apply with a heat press to the shirt. Only work on light coloured garments for photos

Never used it but read about it here:
http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/acata ... rview.html (http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/acatalog/Overview.html)

Thats why I think its different to image klip where I think it is a 2 part fusing technique - could be wrong though and it has been known. :lol:

AdamB
12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
No, John's right ............ you don't 'need' to use the kisscut inks - but they recommend it (well, they would say that!).

Their FAQ at: http://www.kisscutpaper.com/faqs.htm says;

Do I have to use KissCut Inks?
No - the KissCut process is not ink specific. However, KissCut inks are specially designed to give maximum wash fastness to the applied image and are priced extremely competitively. To be sure of optimum results we strongly recommend that the full KissCut system is used.

Kaz
21-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I got a couple of samples of this paper, and my god, it is sooooo easy to use :D

No faffing about fusing, just print and press :D

It's not really suitable for photo's, according to the instructions that came with it, but I'm going to try one tomorrow and see, will keep you posted.

When pressed, it has a similar feel to screen printed items, in my opinion.

Will definitely be ordering more of it when I've got some spare funds.

AdamB
22-08-2010, 12:46 AM
can you get some photos up Kaz?

I was looking at this also but the paper is a little expensive ................ then again, you save as you print with normal ink ...... be interested to see what a photo comes out like though :-)

Paul
22-08-2010, 12:31 PM
can kisscut paper be used on dark garment? or is this another light garment option???

AdamB
22-08-2010, 12:55 PM
can kisscut paper be used on dark garment? or is this another light garment option???

From the Kisscut Site Paul:

Can I image to dark garments?
As you can see from the enclosed samples, the KissCut process allows you to apply images and graphics to white, coloured and dark coloured garments using the full range of imaging and embellishing techniques available with the KissCut process. What is NOT possible at present is to apply full colour images to dark coloured garments. However, you can trust us when we say this is not far away!

accdave
22-08-2010, 02:13 PM
However, you can trust us when we say this is not far away!

I reckon thats been on their website for at least 2 years :D

Paul
22-08-2010, 04:57 PM
so for me for this price is waste of time and money :)

Kaz
22-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Paul

It works out cheaper than doing subli tees :D

Paul
23-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Paul

It works out cheaper than doing subli tees :D
but subli tee look fantastic ;)
and you can use your inks for other stuff like mugs. plates and anything else.... kisscut paper for tees only so you need wait for orders first :) so for me its look more dear :D

Kaz
23-08-2010, 11:26 AM
I've already got an inkjet printer, so no additional outlay was required :D

If I could find my camera, I'd take some photo's and put them up to show you the difference, I'll find it, eventually :lol:

purpledragon
24-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Ive often wondered about kisscut, encouraging to hear that you have had good results so far ive had a look before now and have to admit the cost element was an issue but what really puts me off is that kiss cut has been out for so long yet no one on this board with all the experiance thats here uses it regually. Is it a hidden gem ? or is there good reason for not using it ????
Brett

Kaz
24-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Brett

I've got a tshirt in the wash just now, will let you know how it holds up :D

I think you have a point about the paper costs maybe putting people off, but, as I said up there, it works out cheaper over all than doing a subli tshirt, as cotton tees are so much cheaper than subli ones.

draig
24-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I've already got an inkjet printer, so no additional outlay was required :D

If I could find my camera, I'd take some photo's and put them up to show you the difference, I'll find it, eventually :lol:

Kaz,

What printer are you using and what setting? Just run a sheet through my D92 and it's started to bleed the black into the other colours, and the edge is now feathery (is that a word :? ). Admittedly they are generic inks and not Epson DuraBrite.

Last time I tried the paper I think I washed the garment to soon and the design all disappeared :evil:

Thanks
Sharon

Kaz
24-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi Sharon, it's an old HP photosmart printer that I used, had the print settings on heavy (the amount of ink that gets put down) and noticed the black bled a wee bit, but it was a solid black image with a red border and then black again.

Only got one sheet left now, and I want to try a photo on that, but can't be bothered going back upstairs again :lol:

will try it tomorrow, trying to do rhinestones by hand right now and my eyes are crossing :roll:

Kaz
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I forgot to come back here, sorry.

Well, the tshirt didn't do too well in the wash :(

Fruit of the Loom 100% cotton tshirt with an image prined on kisscut paper and it all but washed out, only a feint image was left :(

Now, I don't know if that's down to my ink jet or not, but, I won't be buying Kisscut paper as not in the position to, or got the space for another printer right now.

So watch what type ink you have before you buy this paper.

thespringonion
09-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Just came across Merlin Tranfer's trim free for laser printers, sounds pretty similar to kisscut's offering except it is for laser printer instead of inkjet, has anybody used Merlin's and what's the feedback of the product?