PDA

View Full Version : What would you do for a fiver...website!

Justin
01-03-2015, 10:46 PM
http://www.fivesquid.com/

Anyone ever used this site? Some very interesting options for a fiver! Worth a punt maybe?

James990
01-03-2015, 11:05 PM
I have not used that one but have used www.fiverr.com (http://www.fiverr.com) there you can get work done for $5.00

James

Paul
02-03-2015, 06:54 AM
i used fiverr too. looks much better then uk version and is cheaper :cool:

Dave271069
02-03-2015, 09:17 AM
i have also used fiver.com and have had some flyers designed, to be honest i think the service is great if you want quick and cheap jobs, as its $5 it works out less then £5 so for that my flyer was ok but i then passed the design on to a mate who used it as an example and designed a much better one off the template.. suppose it depends on who you get to design or make your stuff.
as for selling it worth giving it a go if you sell something for way under a £5 maybe mugs etc

bespokevans
02-03-2015, 11:14 AM
I've used the site many times for design work, had a logo design recently that was very good with many revisions, some very good people on there but as anything you need to check their reviews.

A11kns
02-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I need to get a design for some t shirts for my car club.. Would the people on these fiver sites be up for that kind of work do you think?

James990
02-03-2015, 08:09 PM
All you can do is to ask!

spongerobinson
02-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Have never come across these sites until now...I actually think it's terrible that some of the people on there (talented or not) only value their services at a fiver. If somebody asked me to design a logo or a business card etc, for a fiver, I'd be quite insulted personally.

James990
02-03-2015, 10:12 PM
But some of the people who are on the Fiverr site are in India etc, and $5 is a lot of money for them.

spongerobinson
02-03-2015, 10:17 PM
True, but I still think they should value their work higher then that. They could charge 50 quid for a logo, and that would still be cheap.

Paul
02-03-2015, 10:20 PM
well... if in Indonesia $5 is the going rate then they do value they work :)
Is good income there and attractive to buy they services over here :)
I do agree this is kill for european industry but this is the other side of the stick.

spongerobinson
02-03-2015, 10:28 PM
All fair enough points...personally I couldn't justify only paying a fiver though...I'd feel like I was robbing them, but it would be a conflict of interest with the work I do anyway.

phoenixalpha
03-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Micropayments and the globalisation of the market place will kill off a lot of service industries in the west once people understand that certain skillsets are way cheaper on the other side of the world than here. Its like the outsourcing of call centres and IT, why spend £500 getting your artwork done in the UK when you could have it done elsewhere in the world for £50 or £5? You'll be getting the same level of service for a fraction of the cost. Think on it that way.

On another note but a similar vein, I was sourcing some printed flyers recently. Local based (by that I mean UK) prices were X for 5,000. I went with a company I know of that has .co.uk website which was printed in Germany, shipped via fedex and I got double the quantity and double sided on the a better material for less than any UK printer and in a lot of cases quicker too.

GoonerGary
03-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Who is to say that the company charging you £500 for your artwork isn't having that work done in Indonesia for a £5? I know of a UK designer who outsources his web design out to those guys and profits the rest. I got some branded packaging done, chose a UK company thinking it would be quick, they quoted 6 weeks, but it took 2 months then I realised they probably ordered it through alibaba and I felt robbed.

GoonerGary
03-03-2015, 11:27 AM
duplicate message

Developit
01-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Fiverr have just partnered with Getty images. http://thenextweb.com/creativity/2015/07/01/fiverr-and-getty-images-team-up-to-level-the-playing-field-for-small-business-creativity/

Justin
01-07-2015, 08:38 PM
That looks very interesting :-) I've been using them for little jobs, redraws, logo designs etc. and on the whole it's been really good so far.

Developit
02-07-2015, 07:35 AM
I've never heard of them but may be that's because I'm in Australia, haven't seen anything similar to that here. I will add them to my list of resources to check out.

A11kns
02-07-2015, 08:21 AM
I had a t shirt design done on fiverr for £18

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/02/797ca595b8fb3093051b0e78ceb0e659.jpg

logos unlimited
10-07-2015, 09:17 AM
will take a look cheers

raydavies
10-07-2015, 12:37 PM
There are some great deals to be had on Fiverr I've used some of the voiceover artists and been very pleased.

The things to remember though are the "Extras" of varying amounts that can add up to a fair bit. Some charge extra for a quick turnaround and, like everything else in life, there are always enhancements to the base model like "For an extra XXX I can do a YYY".

I have heard of people making a good living this way. Also, as others have said, even $5 goes a long way when the going rate is way, way below our's.

Ray

pisquee
10-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Also, as others have said, even $5 goes a long way when the going rate is way, way below our's.Ray

Or the other way of looking at it, if you have a skill that you can do quickly, and £5/$5 actually gives you a decent hourly/daily rate per job, if you can get enough jobs, then it isn't that bad.
Assuming you can book in enough half hour jobs to fill a working day,and charge £5 for each of them, then you're on £10 an hour, which isn't a bad wage to be on. Or you could set up your sale so £5 buys you 30 mins of time, so if you need more you pay more, or you could have lots of skills you advertise at the £5 per job rate, to try and catch enough trade.
There's already people in the personalisation market that effectively do this - they sell a t-shirt, but don't factor in their time/cost in doing any of the design work, with a sites like these, you aren't selling a physical product, just possibly the design part, so you have zero material costs, postage to deal with etc, so to some on this forum, setting up on sites like this could actually give them a better profit margin that selling products.