PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder bag problems

phoenixalpha
12-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Hiya

Just trying to branch out from my usual mug & mousemat printing, and I thought I'd try these items :

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimat ... er-bag.htm (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/114/medium-ladies-shoulder-bag.htm)

Now having bought a few for trial purposes with my trusty heat press, I've run into an issue. When I print out and try and heatpress the bags I seem to be getting an awful lot of problems with not printing to the creases/seams of the bag (see attached images)

[attachment=2:nc64lf6s]img1a.jpg[/attachment:nc64lf6s]
[attachment=1:nc64lf6s]img2a.jpg[/attachment:nc64lf6s]
[attachment=0:nc64lf6s]img3a.jpg[/attachment:nc64lf6s]

It just seems that I cant get a decent coverage over the seams and the white base is showing through. Does anyone else have a solution, as I'm sure these are popular items (well my nieces keep demanding bags... so I thought I'd start easily) so I thought someone might have come across this.

Thanks

bms
12-08-2010, 10:21 PM
We'd suggest pressing these first without any image on them to flatten them out fully and the position the image on the flap. We recommend heavy pressure with these to ensure you can flatten the flap completely. You could also put something smooth and flat below the flap to raise it slightly in the press to prevent a bump between the printable area of the flap and the velcro fastening section.

phoenixalpha
14-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Ok have tried with 8 new flaps and got 3 (and a half) good images - what I would consider acceptable to sell anyway.... I think the points to a successful sub is :

1. Jetcol paper - the paper that I used for mugs just didnt cut the mustard.
2. Pressure - heaps of it, enough that I have to use both hands to lift the plate off.
3. Positioning - pretty much exactly in the hottest part of the press
and
4. Pre-pressing the item til it squeeks and is ENTIRELY FLAT. Takes longer to get it entirely flat than it does to do the sub!

anyhow I'm away to order some more.... the item isnt exactly 110% at the moment, still having a wee bit of white under the line of the seam at the top if I'm totally honest but that'll probably go with experience, trial and error and some clever design work....

phoenixalpha
15-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm uploading a couple of pictures of the bags (top left and top right), where the seam of the material meets the seam of the sublimation area and overlays.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/phoenixalphax/topright.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/phoenixalphax/topleft.jpg

As you can see there is a definite white line where the ink hasnt reached *under the seam*.

purpledragon
15-08-2010, 03:29 PM
try getting some ironing board fleece and using it underneath the bag flap i find the soft layer seems to embed better and pare tends to get into the creases though i have to say bags are nbotoriously difficult to get right
Brett

picagiftuk
18-08-2010, 11:37 PM
All great tips above - I used them all today when I printed my very first purse!
Just to add one more: I always print the picture slightly larger than the sublimation area so that I'm not left with a white border.
Well unfortunately this extra bit printed right onto the wrong part of the purse i.e. over the white flap :(
My husband had a great idea - cover the area above the white flap with heat tape! Next purse was perfect!

phoenixalpha
27-08-2010, 01:13 PM
OK... touch wood & fingers crossed I've got this solved (ahem.. I bet the next time I do one I'll screw it up).

Thanks for the tip about the ironing board sponge... cause it worked a treat. That and exact measurement meant that I had it in the best part of the press, also HIGH pressure - it's cranked up as tight as possible. Also the last factor was... ignore the timings recommended and use my own judgement. Instead of the 50 seconds, I use 1 min 50 seconds and things look good (so far anyway).

Thanks to everyone who helped!