PDA

View Full Version : Gold sequins etc

Greybeard
08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Suppose I have printed my design using dye sub onto 100% polyester, at around 190C, and I then want to add a metalic gold looking decoration, like sequins but both circular and other shapes, or an outline around the whole design in the form of a gold line.

I have an old 'hot foil', aka gold blocking, press for small items, as might be used for putting titles on the spines of leather-cloth books, and wondered if hacking this might be the answer.
However, as these will generaly be one-offs, I thought the forum might point me towards a more 21st century method of using the kit I have already aquired ie hot press plus dye sub printer.

I'm aware of the vinyl/pu method working at a lower temperature might be the answer, but I pressume I'd then have to invest in a vinyl printer/cutter. As the shapes would be very simple perhaps a 'bottom end of the market' machine might do nicely.
All suggestions and help up my learning curve gratefully received.
John

Greybeard
09-03-2015, 10:30 AM
It has occurred to me before that spelling out my latest problem in public is a good way to focus on the essentials, and steer my own research !

Here is the solution that I think will fit the bill, but I'd be interested to see if it produces alternative suggestions.

There exists the idea of a 'gold foil pen' , where something like a temperature controlled soldering iron with a rounded tip can be used to draw freehand over a piece of the mylar based gold foil. Heat/pressure and dwell time are a bit hit and miss, but the principle does work.

Taking this idea and adding an interchangable set of shaped tips, and it becomes indistinguishable from a leather workers embossing tool !
Add a spool carrier for a narrow ribbon of foil, and I have the perfect answer.

Pity I didn't think of that originally, but perhaps my musing aloud might give others a new idea for their own work.

John