PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette Cameo

tiamaria
11-03-2015, 05:19 PM
im getting rid of my roland camm 1 cx24 as i cant find software or get it set up with my windows 7 pc as i cant download drivers for it ,can only find drivers for win xp or vista , so my next question is does anyone know of anywhere local to me (cardiff area) where i can go and buy a Silhouette Cameo (http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/silhouette-cameo-packs.asp) v2 many thanks justin

WePrintForYou
11-03-2015, 05:53 PM
You could use VMware to run a virtual windows XP machine then use the correct drivers and cutstudio.

AlanD
11-03-2015, 06:46 PM
I'm surprised you can't get this plotter to run, I think any sign programme would run it and you can even get cheap pluggins for Corel Draw. I thought there was even a print driver for Rolands, I think virtually any hpgl driver would run it. Getting rid of a good cutter seems a bit drastic.

spongerobinson
11-03-2015, 07:40 PM
did a quick google for you. here's a link with drivers right up to windows 8. http://support.rolanddga.com/_layouts/RolandDGA/productdetail.aspx?pm=GX-24

edit: wrong product - sorry!

spongerobinson
11-03-2015, 07:42 PM
sorry, my bad - i googled gx-24 which is the newer model! :frown:

Dave271069
11-03-2015, 07:52 PM
hello from sunny Rhoose, not too far from you, im using a silhouette cameo but to find a supplier in Cardiff i don't think you will unless hobbie craft sell them, you can purchase them from MDP SUPPLIES OR several other of the usual suppliers, if you get any issues you can give me a pm and i can direct you in the right way, ps if you buy from mdp supplies before 6pm you get next day delivery

malfunction
11-03-2015, 07:57 PM
I used to have a cx24 and i'm sure I used to run it on a windows 7 pc using vinylmaster (you can download a demo of it but it will only let you cut sample files) there is defiantly a driver for your cx24 in the program, it will at least let you know if it's compatible. I think "signblazer" will work as well and thats a free download.
If you decide to go for the cameo have a look on graphtecs website they do ex shopping channel cameos for £200 inc vat. The cameo is a decent machine but it's slow and limited re vinyl size compared to the cx24.
I would persevere with the rowland if it was me.

AlanD
11-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Ditto - the Cameo may well be a very good machine but if it is aimed at the craft market I suspect it may not be as robust as a larger plotter aimed at the sign market.

spongerobinson
11-03-2015, 10:27 PM
It should definitely work without a Roland driver, with some of the commercial software available. Your main issue is interfacing it with your computer. You'll need a USB to parallel adapter probably.

There are some posts here about getting this working with Windows 7, and people seem to have been successful using the GX-24 driver.
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/vinyl-cutters-plotters-transfers/t153631.html

tiamaria
11-03-2015, 11:35 PM
many thanks for all above replies ,i will try again tomorrow getting it to work with my win 7 machine if i can not get it to work i will then get the cameo cheers all

malfunction
14-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Did you manage to get your Rowland working ok?

tiamaria
14-03-2015, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=malfunction;99087]Did you manage to get your Rowland working ok?[/QUOTE
hi malfunction and good morning to you ,i have not had a chance to try it yet been very busy in work (normal job) british army been away for a few days in liverpool on a shooting competition ,i got a couple of days spare now so will be having a go today and tomorrow ,thank you for asking mate

tiamaria
16-03-2015, 06:48 PM
tried again with this after buying the db25 parallel adapter but i still cant get it to recognise my computer ,i think the problem might be my computer is 64 bit and the cx24 runs of 32 bit ,so decided to buy the cameo instead ,thanks for your help guys

Buster64
14-04-2015, 11:39 PM
tried again with this after buying the db25 parallel adapter but i still cant get it to recognise my computer ,i think the problem might be my computer is 64 bit and the cx24 runs of 32 bit ,so decided to buy the cameo instead ,thanks for your help guys

How are you getting on with the Cameo ????

tiamaria
15-04-2015, 11:26 AM
hi buster i think it is a really clever little machine it has done everything i have asked it to do ,i can not fault this machine in any way at all ,although the weeding is a pain when your eyesight is not 100% ,it is easy to weed some fonts but more finer intricate fonts can be a little tricky but it would be with any cutter ,so untill they make a vinyl cutter that will self weed i will be happy with the little cameo

Ask_Alan
16-04-2015, 06:15 PM
For older vinyl cutters without USB ports or without drivers on the latest windows, run the cutter on a Serial cable.

Get a USB to Serial adapter and a Nul-Modem cable with the correct ends.
All sign programs I've come across will drive the cutters over a serial port. The Roland Cutters run at 9600 baud,8 data, No Parity and 1 stop bit Hardware handshake.
This method will drive all the Rolands back to the PNC1000 from the early 90's ;)

Serial port adapters will work on all version of windows including Windows 8.1 64 bit.
Its probably best to buy from someone like Kevin at Wissen UK (google for them) who understands cutters.

Alan

Buster64
15-07-2015, 12:18 AM
went ahead and purchased a Silhouette Cameo after all., Im still finding my way though I've printed few t-shirts for stag & hen parties so far......Also using the vinyls for few personalised sign ideas as well which look great and fingers crossed will take off........