PDA

View Full Version : installing sunangel printers????

soulclaimed
18-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Hi all

I now have both sunangel printers, I have seen from the sunangel video done by transferpress that they have 2 installations of the printer one that can select white and other that selects colour, how do i set it up for this, the installation disks are the same and they dont have sunangel specific software for each.

thanks

tony

Ravisteam
18-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Hi Wish you good luck with the new printer .....I love new stuff like this ...Hope all go well ...

ArferMo
18-03-2015, 11:50 PM
All sorted :wink:

KathG
24-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Hi Tony
Just wondering how you are doing with your new Sun Angel setup. I have the Ricoh set up for sublimation and I have an A3 Epson inkjet for inkjet transfers, but am interested in the Sun Angel set up for printing with white onto darker clothing. I have watched all the videos I can find and it seems to get a mixed reception. I cannot go for the TMT system to expensive outlay for me right now.
On the Transfer Press and Subli.UK websites the sell the Sun Angel Halo paper, but on Sun Angels site they do not mention the Halo paper, they are selling Ultrabrite and I think it was UltraLite. Both these being cheaper than the Halo paper. Do you or anyone else know the difference in these papers. Also are you limited to only using Sun Angel papers or can you use other companies Laser papers in this setup?
Sorry for so many questions, but thank you for any advice you can offer.

Kath G

soulclaimed
24-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Hi kath one thing I can say is that it is deffinately a learning curve and a lot can go wrong. And another thing I will say is if you repress with teflon or protective paper after initial press don't peel it hot as although you will think the tshirt transferred well peeling the teflon or protective paper after will peel off the transfer in places I wonder if I will ever get it to the point where each peel is perfect as even peeling off the backing sheet can peel of bits of smaller details id like to know myself if any other papers work but so far have only had the ones that subli sell

KathG
25-03-2015, 12:05 AM
Tony thank you for your reply. Umm will have to think hard about going this route. I have watched the videos and did wonder how easy removing the backing from the transfers really is. I did read were the say to pull the backing off rather than pulling the transfer off.
Hope you find the answers to get that perfect peel.
Re the other papers are available on the SunAngel website.
Kath G

KathG
01-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Hi Tony
just thought I would tell you how I got on today when I received the SunAngel White printer. Well I should have come back and re-read your post. Guess what repressed removed paper pulled of some of the transfer.
I ended up wasting the first two sheets by missing that one of the setting were wrong. I could not get it to print straight through to the back exit tray from the multi tray. It was only after the second sheet I realized it was set for duplex printing. An expensive mistake, except it seemed like the Oki was setting that as default.

Which brings me to my next question. Can you give me your printing settings for PhotoShop/CorelDraw. I know to set it at medium heavy and use the multitray but not sure what quality to set it too. Also do you set the intent to Perceptual?

i know I've asked before but if anyone has used any other paper with the SunAngel would love to know what you think.
Kath G

soulclaimed
01-04-2015, 08:56 PM
well i cant guarantee my settings are right but i will give you the method im using with very hit and miss results, print settings in photoshop elements:source multi purpose tray, weight medium, quality defaulted to normal, perceptual, to get print straight i press the multi purpose tray down place paper in tray press blue lever and i flips up and grabs the paper, print in colour and then do same through white printer, put through laminator with adhesive paper, peel back corner on adhesive sheet, place on heat press, heavy pressure with silicone sheet on top to help with coldspots on my press, press for 30 secs, place on top of silicone sheet while hot, peel adhesive sheet away carefully. place tshirt in press and press for 10 secs to remove wrinkles, place peeled transfer on tshirt and cover with baking paper, press for 30 secs and remove from press and let cool, once cool to the touch peel backing sheet of very carefully whilst praying that it doesnt fuse the backing paper to the print or peel off details, once peeled repress for 10-15 secs with baking paper, let cool again and then peel. ive had 2 good prints out of about 12 sheets with this method but alot more failures before this method. if you find a better method please please let me know. Also please let me know how your prints have pressed so far

KathG
01-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks Tony, that is a great help. I am doing much the same as you. The only difference was removing the sheet of paper straight away after the second press. I new it was not going to work out as soon as I realized I had put a piece of A3 plain paper on top of the transfer in stead of my Teflon sheet.
I have watched the video from The Tranfer Press and a few from a company in the US called RhinoTech and one from I think it was Italian, and they all make it look very easy. So I'm guessing it is just getting the settings sorted out. Though Ithink I will hold off for a little while on the SunAngel colour. The transfer paper is to expensive for lots of failures. Will let you know how I get on. Just remembered another question I wanted to ask. Do you know what the difference is in the SUN Halo paper and the UltraBrite. I bought mine direct from SunAngel and they do not have the SunHalo paper in their online store.

Kath G

ArferMo
01-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Ditto on the printer setup but also works fine with me letting it come out of the normal top face down tray, but I prefer to let it come out the back.

I've pressed over 100 sets and to date have only buggered up two sets. One set because I dropped the pair coming out of the press and they were too cold when I started to separate the two transfer sheets = operator error. The second failure was also down to operator error I forgot to change the pressure to high when doing a hoodie, the previous setting was light only 1 bar when I should have changed it to 6 bar = heavy. The result was that most of the transfer peeled off, so I simply put another one on top and set the pneumatic press to the correct pressure and pressed the hoodie with the second transfer paper and hoped for the best..... perfect you could not tell that it was a double print in most of the image.

I also put WOW and most of the other range of TMT papers through these printers and YOLO with no problems. The printers are fine and so is my Adkins press. The most important thing is temperature and pressure with both sunangel and wow papers.

I have never experienced your problem with 2nd pressing with teflon or silicone paper or baking paper pulling off either of these transfer medias which makes me think you are using too low a pressure. Heavy pressure with a mechanical press means putting most of your body weight on to it to close it. Both systems require that you really drive the transfer in to the material.

soulclaimed
01-04-2015, 09:42 PM
how do your sunangel transfers feel on a tshirt arfermo as mentioned before mine have a noticeable edge and texture compared to tmt papers im wondering if its the thickness of the toner laid down or if its that im not pressing heavy enough or if the tmt papers are just generally better

KathG
01-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks AfterMo, I think you are correct. I will put the pressure up to its highest on my next attempt. For me the paper sticking I think was user error as I grabbed a piece of A3 printer paper instead of my Teflon sheet and gave it another 30 seconds which was probably to long.
Which WOW paper are you using. 7.2 or 7.7 ?

Thank you to you and Tony for any help and advice given, much appreciated.

Kath G.

ArferMo
01-04-2015, 10:01 PM
wow 7.7............

KathG
01-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Thanks again AfterMo,

Sorry for all the questions, but do you print on the WoW 7.7 exactly like you do with the SUnAngel papers.

just found a Compatibility chart on the TMT .com site but cannot seem to post it from my iPad. Will post it when I'm on my iMac

Kath G

ArferMo
02-04-2015, 01:43 AM
Q. "do you print on the WoW 7.7 exactly like you do with the SUnAngel papers"

A. No.

With sunangel paper I only use the white where I want to see white on the finished image, not as a total mask behind the whole of the image, even if its yellow on a black garment, there is no need to back it with white toner.

KathG
02-04-2015, 10:06 AM
AfterMo, thanks once again. I appreciate getting your help with this. Just need to decide whether to buy the SunAngel colour as I don't think I can tell how good/bad �� it is with just the White printer.

KathG

soulclaimed
02-04-2015, 07:32 PM
They refused as it "needs" wow pad and they only want the papers used with their printer

KathG
02-04-2015, 08:07 PM
WoW no pun intended....I was going to ask for a sample. Don't really want to spend all that money if I end up not liking it.

Kath G

KathG
02-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Just thinking, it's a bit strange when their compatibility charts says it works with the OKI 321......oh well their loss

Kath G

soulclaimed
04-04-2015, 06:44 PM
I now have a pack of 10 ultrabrite they seem to feel the same as the halo papers not printed yet though

KathG
04-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Hi Tony, let's us know how you get on with it. I have not had chance to use it again, all of a sudden I have all these printers so need to have a major reorganization. ��

soulclaimed
06-04-2015, 11:20 AM
With the new papers I had a failure on the first one due to having the heat to high on the second attempt I printed the white wrong but the third attempt worked Perfectly print seems a little better than the halo paper but wouldn't say its much different other than you use it at 120c as opposed to130 although the peel is easier and when I pressed again with baking paper and peeled it hot it didn't rip the image off al must have been an issue with the halo paper

Dave271069
08-04-2015, 11:37 AM
When i use sunangels ultrabrite paper i have increased the time and temp very slightly to 125c and 35 sec press, this seems to work fine with my press.

KathG
08-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I had more success yesterday using 125c and 30 sec. Do any of you use the Teflon sheet or are you using silicone/parchment paper, it may just be me but I am having more success with parchment paper. plus I saw on the Xpres site that they say not to use teflon with their Forever papers.

There does seem a very fine line with removing the Transfer paper, not hot but not too cold. and also the direction you pull it of the T-Shirt.

Dave I have yet to buy the SunAngel colour printer, so I am wondering whether to go for the TMT OKI C610 instead. Pros for the SunAngel it is cheaper, possible Pros for the OKI C610 more choice of transfer papers. any opinions on this greatly received.

Also Dave with using two different models of OKI printers are you finding the SunAngel white colour lining up ok with the two passes through the printers.
Once again you advice on this is very much appreciated.

Kath G

soulclaimed
08-04-2015, 09:41 PM
If you want a colour printer to go with the white one you're better off getting the sunangel one or you may have
more lining up issues although I have both and its not perfect I also emailed Annie at sunangel and she said ultrabrite and halo papers are the same which is odd

KathG
09-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Hi Tony
You are probably correct, but I was wondering if Dave has had any problems with lining up with his OKI C 610.

I'm just a little disappointed with having to go through £20 worth of paper to find the correct settings and thinking going for the TMT C610 would give me more options on the type of paper I would be able to use.

From your replies i don't get the impression you are 100% in love with the SunAngel system. Have you used the SunAngel colour printer without the white, if so how has that gone?

Kath G

Ask_Alan
17-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Just thinking, it's a bit strange when their compatibility charts says it works with the OKI 321......oh well their loss

Kath G

The guides are for standard toner, the transfer papers have never been tested with 3rd party toner for washability, longevity etc. It is known for example that the OBM 5.6 material will jam in OKI printers using 3rd party toner, probably a problem with the wax (lubricant) in the toner.
You will never get a recommendation using a non-standard toner. :rolleyes:

I trust you have permission from TheMagicTouch gmbh to republish the compatibility guide as its not permitted in the T&C of the international website.

alan

KathG
17-04-2015, 10:15 AM
I will remove that post, but seems a little daft having a compatibility chart if you cannot share it.

Also why would the chart say those printers are compatible if not tested with those papers.

Ask_Alan
17-04-2015, 10:16 AM
You can link it, the terms do not allow copying and republishing (uploading) to a different site

TheMagicTouch International do change the guides over time if new information comes to light. so linking works.

testing is with TheMagicTouch papers using in this case OKI toner. For other brands it is the toner the printers come with. TheMagicTouch does not test with 3rd party toner, there are many different types. some may work some do not.

There is no compatibility info on the sun angel toner - the white is I think an American toner its not the OKI white.

alan

KathG
17-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Ah fair enough.

Just one question , when you mention 3rd party Toners are you referring to the SunAngel ? As I believe the colour printer in the SunAngel system is standard Oki ink.
Though I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong :biggrin:

Ask_Alan
17-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Ah fair enough.

Just one question , when you mention 3rd party Toners are you referring to the SunAngel ? As I believe the colour printer in the SunAngel system is standard Oki ink.
Though I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong :biggrin:

The white inks in the sunangel system are not OKI inks.
I imagine the normal (CMYK) colours are OKI why would they change them? . They do have some "neon" toners and these are not OKI Toners

KathG
17-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Hi again, the reason I asked was as the CMYK toner in the OKI 321dn from SunAngel is the standard OKi toner, then as this printer is on The Magic Touch compatibility chart I should be able to use your TTC 3.1 and OMB 5.3 Papers?

Thanks though for your input, all information is good.
Now I just need a lottery win and I would be ordering Your OKI C711WT :wink:

Ask_Alan
17-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Sure the colour one will be fine. Use TTC3.1 A4R and the OBM 5.3, As many mention exit to the rear of the printer to stop scratches. Setting as per guide.
The only real downside to the 3 and 5 series is the single image unit, when that goes in one colour you have to replace the unit instead of single colours for the 6 and 7 series machines.
The fusers in the bigger machines are better but they are more expensive.

KathG
17-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks Alan, that's great information.
Might just have to take a look at your Oki C610 in the near future

Regards

Kath