PDA

View Full Version : Epson, Roland or Mutoh?

artygirl
01-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Were looking to buy a 24" sublimation printer, but have been told that even though epson might be cheaper it will be more expensive in inks. Im not sure Roland do a 24" version? Can you get a continuous ink system for Epson? Im used to Epson and especially as were on macs would be better. Can anyone advise?

ArferMo
01-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Do you need a combined cutter printer

artygirl
01-04-2015, 03:50 PM
No, just a printer

logobear
01-04-2015, 04:03 PM
would you not be better buying a 40" plus printer to escape the sawgrass monopoly?

artygirl
01-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Sawgrass monopoly?? Sorry, new to this game, not sure I follow.

Andrew
01-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Are you planning to print sublimation with this printer? Are you already printing sublimation with a smaller printer? The size of printer is the main governing factor when it comes to ink cost. Sawgrass licences ink to the supplier for anything that is classed as small format (less than 42" ot thereabouts). Ink will basically cost 4 times as much as the large format option where Sawgrass don't have a say.

artygirl
01-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Yes. I already have an Epson I use for canvas and art prints, so Im looking for a separate printer to print sublimation.

artygirl
01-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Is that even for real Epson inks too? Are you saying an epson 24" isnt economical or just any printer that size?

Andrew
02-04-2015, 10:53 AM
It's nothing to do with ink economy through usage really. You can use exactly the same ink for a printer but if it is used in a printer classed as small format you will have to pay 4 times the cost so Sawgrass take their substantial cut. They have patents in place that state you can only buy ink licensed by them for printers smaller than 42". On large format printers they have no say so you can buy the same ink for a 1/4 of the cost. Having said that, I would say that for a newbie it is easier going down the Sawgrass route as they make it far easier with it being a supported printer option. Only with more experience would I suggest non-supported wide format. Learning the basics is hard enough so keep it less complicated.

pisquee
02-04-2015, 11:17 AM
For large format printers, some of the printer manufacturers have their own sublimation inks, and have support options, including Epson themselves, along with Roland and Mimaki (as far as I can remember) Inktec also offer support options.
The odd thing with Sawgrass is that their consumer side think that 24" is small format, whereas Sawgrass Industrial will happily sell their wide format Sublim ink to 24" printer users.
In terms of the actual patent wording it makes no mention of printer size, and this separation of the market at 42", was the result of one of the many legal battles, and an out of court negotiation between Sawgrass and BASF (if I remember correctly) Interestingly, the patent which has always been disputed in the past actually expired in September last year.

artygirl
02-04-2015, 11:53 AM
So, do the majority of people use Epson? Besides the sawgrass issue is it any more expensive to run than other brand printers?

pisquee
02-04-2015, 12:52 PM
If we ignore the Sawgrass cartel/protection racket, then a litre of professional/industrial sublimation ink will cost around £85-100, as opposed to Sawgrass Consumer sublimation ink which will cost you about £60 for 100ml
If you go for a non-Epson wide format printer than (as far as I am aware) will also need a RIP to drive the printer, you can use a RIP or just the standard Windows driver with an Epson.
As far as CISS systems go, for this level of printer, you use large (200ml+) refillable cartridges, or you can get bigger bulk feeds which take the ink direct from the litre bottles. You can, if you prefer use sealed carts from the ink manufacturers, but this route is more expensive (but still cheaper than Sawgrass)
The other thing you will need is an ICC profile to tie your printer, inks, paper, and substrates together - the ink manufacturers do supply some ICCs, but as there are so many wide format printers, it isn't possible for them to create enough ICCs for every possible combination, so you'd either need to get Paul on this forum to make one, or get your own profiling kit. This is only really the case if you go the Epson route without a RIP, as the ICCs used by RIPs are different from what Paul can make (and can be made by most affordable ICC profiling kits)