PDA

View Full Version : Famous Pictures...

VSW
18-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Hi there
I have quite a few retailers (amongst others!) selling mugs with images on - anything from latest film releases to footballers etc - I thought everyone would need agreements etc to do this, but I know some (if not all) of them dont - they just obtain images and print! Is this possible, or should you purchase images from places such as istock photo - to make it okay?
What do you guys do?

:ugeek:

Cheers!

AJLA
18-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Huge grey area this one and discussed often on here, my company has been visited over copyright issues several months ago and there's also someone on here who was unlucky enough to have to pay for the ptice. I'll try and find the link.
By the way there are people in my town blatantly doing it too, copying footballer pictures and framing them themselves.

John G
18-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't think images from istock are supposed to be used for promotional items, they are meant to be used for advertising media such as flyers, websites etc - not for resale on promo items - check the t & C's.

If these retailers continue using these images they'll soon get caught - especially for football, TV and films related items. Its a chance you would be taking ;)

Cheers John

VSW
18-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi there - I have seen a few retailers doing it - and I know they dont have rights etc.... But also Ajla, most gift type shops tend to sell stuff like that, and Im sure they dont get rights from every indivual person or film-maker etc....

do any of you do it?

whats your most popular type of print/design?

Cheers

Lee

Kaz
18-08-2010, 02:10 PM
I was going to say my most popular design is in the gallery, but it isn't :lol:

Will go upload a piccy and let you see :D

Kaz
18-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Can't get it to upload to the gallery :(

Hope I've managed to upload on here :?

VSW
18-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Thaet is very nice - I llike the use of multiple images!

Do you mind me asking how much that cost you to make, and what you sell 1 of for - and of course if you discount for bulk!

I'm just getting started so am trying to gather all the ammo I can!

:-)

PS - does that wrap all the way round 200mm?

Kaz
18-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Hiya

It cost me approx £1.50 to make, which includes the price of the mug :)

I sell them to charitable organisations for £2.50, who in turn sell them on for £5-6.

One of my charities only order as and when, but another couple take them 20 at a time.

I'm never going to be rich just dealing with charities though :lol:

And it's as wide as an A4 sheet of paper, I get it printing right to the edges :lol:

Have enclosed the other side to let you see

The centre of the mug has 2 images and the website address on of the charity/good cause

VSW
18-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Thank you for the info - very kind of you!

Do you ever sell them online?
:roll:

Kaz
18-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Not with that layout :)

At least with my charities, they provide me with the images and I just set up the design before they go for sale. Too time consuming just to do those for a one off, and the price would need to go up to take that in to account, and with just starting out myself, I don't want to outprice myself in this very competitive market

VSW
18-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Could you not have a template and just drop pictures in that people send you when they order? And charge more, say £5-7?
Like you say, I don't know if its worth the time yet :-)

Kaz
18-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I've got a template, but when I've got to resize 15 piccys, it takes time, and some times I just can't be bothered :lol:

AJLA
18-08-2010, 06:30 PM
I think this might be of interest, some people take a risk but others would not touch it, my experience of Trading Standards issues and copyright are on here somewhere. Had to remove all the stock but nothing further came of it so i won't bore you with the details.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=604&p=5579&hilit=copyright#p5579 (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=604&p=5579&hilit=copyright#p5579)

Justin
18-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I've got a template, but when I've got to resize 15 piccys, it takes time, and some times I just can't be bothered :lol:

I swear by Lumapix FotoFusion, just drop the photo's in and replace previous ones in a template, smashing bit of software.....commision now please Mr. Lumapix. You can just set the page size to the mug paper size as well.

Kaz
18-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I'll get my OH to go investigate that at the weekend, thanks Justin, looks interesting :D

purpledragon
19-08-2010, 12:55 AM
using copyright material just isnt worth it it catches up with you in the end, on top of this there are lawyers who are ambulance chasing with copywritten material, let me explain mr lawyer scours ebay etc for obvious copyright infringements not difficult just type man united mug into ebay. mr lawyer then sues you on behalf of man untd or whoever so be warned i bel;ieve a member of this forum inoccently became victim of this . They sold a mug on ebay which they had bought as a job lot from a car boot. that 50p mug cost them £600 out of court.
on the bright side its been a luvly summer innit
Brett

VSW
19-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Thank you all for yout comments - I read the thread - and that was just typical bug boy bullying! Like the £650 would make a difference to BBC but to ordinary families it can be the different between feeding your family! I could understand it if it was a mass production line earning thousands (aka peckham springs!)... I was just curious how people in prime, town centre shops manage to get away with it.....cos they are doing!
:mrgreen:

purpledragon
19-08-2010, 01:26 PM
when i first started and was a bit more niaeve i produced a colour change mug with a harley davidson design what a winner that was i sold loads, it was my own design looked stunning unfortunatly it incorperated the harley badge. One letter from harley davidson lawyers mitchigan later and i removed the mug from sale and thanked my stars that harley saw fit to just say oi remove it and dont do it again !
to rub salt into the wound i noticed harley selling an extremely similar design on their website not long after ..... cheeky gits but lesson learnt
Brett