PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape to robo cutter. Saved as dxf and svg but says doesn't support it.. help!

Joohlyauk
02-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Hi, I know I'm a bit thick but I've got a jpeg that I've had to make into a vector so I can cut it out in vinyl for a hoodie I'm doing. Problem is I have saved it in inkscape as a SVG then I tried again and saved it as a dxf file.. but my craft robo cutter says they are not supported, if that makes sense.

Has anyone got any experience in this as it's driving me mad. I'm very new using vinyl. So far I've put texts and numbers on T shirts. This is my first go at cutting something from inkscape.

Thanks, Jules

Paul
02-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Resa ing raster image as vector file format wont change anything and wont cut. Uou will neex to trace it to proper vector graphic and then save it to svg.

Joohlyauk
03-05-2015, 10:41 AM
hi Paul, yes i did trace it first. i can click on the printer icon and select the robo cutter but it's not doing anything. It must be something I'm missing.

Ravisteam
08-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Hi, I know I'm a bit thick but I've got a jpeg that I've had to make into a vector so I can cut it out in vinyl for a hoodie I'm doing. Problem is I have saved it in inkscape as a SVG then I tried again and saved it as a dxf file.. but my craft robo cutter says they are not supported, if that makes sense.

Has anyone got any experience in this as it's driving me mad. I'm very new using vinyl. So far I've put texts and numbers on T shirts. This is my first go at cutting something from inkscape.

Thanks, Jules

Hi Joohl I am new to vinyl too...But I think in your case it would be easier if you open your jpeg in Cameo software and trace it there ..After that you can send it to the cutter ..(Hope you know how to trace )...It should work as Ive just done something similar in my Cameo ...

viccar
08-05-2015, 08:15 PM
What software are you using with your robocutter? You cant cut from inkscape

You would need to save from inkscape into svg then open studio and open svg (if you got the designer edition)

other than that as people say open studio and trace from there. (easier)

If you are really using robo cutter not cameo then i think you can use sure cut a lot.

Ali P
20-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Hi Jules,
You may have resolved this by now but you can save a dxf from 'inkscape' and drag it into 'studio' to open it and it will be a cut file. The image in inkscape needs to be "object to path" making sure the fill and stroke have been done in such a way as to ensure an outline prior to saving as a dxf. When saving as a dxf, tick the "use ROBO master type of spline output" and untick the "use LWPOLYLINE type of line output" otherwise you get spurious extra cut lines dissecting your image. I am no inkscape expert (believe me) but this worked :)

Joohlyauk
07-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Hi Jules,
You may have resolved this by now but you can save a dxf from 'inkscape' and drag it into 'studio' to open it and it will be a cut file. The image in inkscape needs to be "object to path" making sure the fill and stroke have been done in such a way as to ensure an outline prior to saving as a dxf. When saving as a dxf, tick the "use ROBO master type of spline output" and untick the "use LWPOLYLINE type of line output" otherwise you get spurious extra cut lines dissecting your image. I am no inkscape expert (believe me) but this worked :)

Well I have just been using the craft robo cutter to type my text then cut. It's a pain as so limited. I've now got illustrator as was told this was what I needed but still not doing it right. So much to learn. I have a graphtec robo cutter not a cameo. Thanks for your help x

rossdv8
08-07-2015, 08:47 AM
There are a few tutorials and stuff on Inkscape and Graphtec cutters here. One of them might give you some ideas on sorting the problem. The one that opens on the page is just cutting a couple of words in a script font, but it reminds you to remove the 'fill' option from the font. Something I used to always forget when I was first cutting vinyl in about 1987.

It is possible that you might be forgetting to remove the fill after you trace. I'm only guessing here as I haven't been following the thread in detail and I don;t use these modern cutters and programs. In my day we had to write our own software. We didn't have neat stuff like InkScape :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozglg8pZ1zM

jonna
09-07-2015, 04:26 PM
I use Sure Cuts a Alot 4 and Vinylmaster LTR for my craft robo both have the ability to trace an image and also design in them, Vinylmaster has a module that can vectorize the image and make it a cuttable file and also seperate colours for layering. Both programs are cheap enough , SCAL4 was £30 and Vinylmaster LTR is roughly £7 per month. I also use inkscape for some design work although Vinylmaster does pretty much everything i need there are literally hundreds of videos on youtube for inkscape, the forum for inkscape isnt the best for a quick response i found.