PDA

View Full Version : mug handles

jennywren
18-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Over the past year I sold a fair few mugs, some customers come back for another mug. but in the last 8 monthsI had 5 come back because the handle has been dropped off. I give them discount ( if they buy anything else or if the order another mug ) I never sure where its me, or them that was responsable for the handle. Only one customers with the broken handles came back with a week. I did another with no cost at all. The others came back of a two or three months period, None of the customer got funny or blamed me but if they order another mug I gave them discount or if they brought something else. I alway worry incase its my fault that the handles have fallen off. But in saying that I have my cupboard full of mugs that i've done wrong and we use them on a everyday basis and not one handle has fallen off. What do you guys think. As the handle question always bothers me, as I don't want the customer to pay for something that is maybe my fault.

AJLA
19-08-2010, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't dream of returning something so breakable after 3 months thats barking.
Out of curiosity do you dunk your mugs in room temp water after pressing?

John G
19-08-2010, 10:30 AM
When I first started I had a few handles break off, stopped dunking them in water and cooled with fan and haven't had bother since.

jennywren
19-08-2010, 03:27 PM
yes I do dunk. I generally use the mug machine, I might try the fan. seems a a good idea, how long do you put the fan on for

John G
19-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I have the fan running constanty when mug printing and I just put the mugs there straight out of the press - when the next one is ready to come out of the press the 1st ones cold/cool and ready for packing.

Cheers John

AdamB
19-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Instead of freezing cold water I use warm/hot water, asl it's only to bring the temperature down enough to stop the transfer process.

Using a fan would worry me a little as the only fans that I have used are ones that make me warmer in the summer ........... not sure what effect that would have on a mug :lol: :lol:

John G
19-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi Adam, most fans these days have a cool setting, mine blows either scorching hot or, at the touch of a button, cold. :)

jennywren
23-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Did a bath of mugs last night and used a fan,(but he was to tall be be standing on my units :lol: ) It worked and i won't be going back to put them in water. Thanks for that tip.

Kaz
23-08-2010, 11:28 AM
It's more cost effective/environmentally friendly to dunk them in water than it is to run a fan ;)

jennywren
23-08-2010, 08:57 PM
It might be but with the oven going over for five hours the fan it did a double job keeping the mugs cool and me, but I do my bit for the enviroment by paying taxes to keep the unemployed in bed longer to save the electric bill,ect :lol:

purpledragon
24-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Heres one to throw into the mix that ive often wondered about, what happens if joe public is having his /her morning cuppa in their fav mug with a picture of dear departed tiddles on the front then "oh blummin eck "the handle fell off as he/she was taking a sip spilling tea over the shiny new laptop making him/her jump and knock the brand new camcorder into the bowl of washing up water whilst at the same time he/she lands with your hand in the toaster and your foot trapped under the table leg causing irrepairible damage to the chippendale formica top table. resulting in 6 weeks off work injured.
Now as mr/mrs public is sat injured watching daytime tele she sees an ad with an ex Bill star saying "had an accident and it aint your fault? Let us help you bleed some poor bugger dry". What if they say its the mug sellers fault that the handel fell off? i wonder how many of you are reading this then running and checking their insurance policy makes you think
Brett

jennywren
24-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Covered with that one, I have public and employers liabilty insurance, before you can begin to trade where I am all traders are required to have this, and have to have it on show, the office reminds us a one month before its due, then you have to take it up and have it photo copied no escape for us. Also you need insurance because some shows won't allow you to trade if you have got it. But taking the recommendations of the fan and not duking I will avoid this

AJLA
26-08-2010, 05:28 PM
great post purple dragon, what an imagination!!! fingers crossed it won't happen :lol:
I have public liability too
but I do my bit for the enviroment by paying taxes to keep the unemployed in bed longer to save the electric bill,ect

I do my bit for the enviroment by paying taxes to keep the unemployed in bed longer to save the electric bill,ect :lol:

thought that was funny too :lol: although I could imagine some may take offense as a few do with this one of ours (USUALLY THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER WORKED):-http://www.thecornishtshirtfactory.com/www.thecornishtshirtfactory.coms/info.php?p=17 ITEM NO FU007

AdamB
26-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Covered with that one, I have public and employers liabilty insurance, before you can begin to trade where I am all traders are required to have this ...........

Surely public and employers liabilty insurance only covers anything that happens in the shop premises? Would a business guarantee or terms and conditions be required to clarify what is expected of items once they are 'taken out' of the shop?

Great question though - it has got me thinking .............. but surely you can't be responsible for the 'handle' once it's gone out of the shop?

I mean, you sell a t-shirt to someone who decides to put it on and wear it when they leave. As they pass a bramble bush a loose thread that was on the shirt pulls (without the persons notice). The thread is now about a meter long, and a bin man's truck passes by hooking the thread that pulls the geezer into the crusher!

I know it's far fetched but where do we stop?