PDA

View Full Version : mug printing

gordy
20-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi guys
I'v been reading your chat hoping that I would be-abel to find the anwser to my proberlem,
it is "when i print onto a mug i am getting heat marks from the heat eliements, always at the bottom, I have played with the heat seting ie; 190/ 180 ect. stopped on 180c & 180 sec, i'v tryed cheap mugs & not so cheap ones. if we only do words it's ok (as they are not on the bottom). but full print pitchers (top to bottom) it is just not working".
if you can help thanks.

purpledragon
20-08-2010, 11:42 PM
i used to have same problem it was the press i was using a cheap one from china could this be your problem?

gordy
21-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Thank you for that and so quick, yes i think it is but i will have to cheque it, please, what is a good make?

smartarts
21-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Hi Gordy,
I have just got my first mug press as I am new to sublimation, before I bought one I got sample printings from three companys. On that basis I went with BMS, Martin was patient and there was no pushing and hard sell. The press I bought was a DF1 which is at the lower end of their price list, but it was the one my samples had been produced on. The quality it has produce are fantastic, the odd disappointment was due to my scans and not the press, Martin is on his jollys at the present but I have no hesitation in recommending his firm.

gordy
21-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi Thank you Smartarts, I have dealt with Martin, I bought aload of samples from him, I will give him a phone next week, do you mind me asking how much it was? and if you do that's ok too.
Thanks for your help. :D

Kaz
21-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Here you go gordy

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/presses- ... -press.htm (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/presses-and-cutters/528/df1-mug-press.htm)

Justin
21-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I'd be interested to see a photo of your problem, what press are you using?

I have the exact same problem and have a lengthy ongoing thread on here.

smartarts
21-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi Gordy,
Only just got your request when I got home, unfortunately my invoice is at work. I know I got one of Martins bundles which the prices are on his website, but I altered it from A4 paper to A3 as I was getting the Epson 1400. With getting A3 I worked out you can get 5 full wrap images on at 210mm x 90mm. Off the top of my head It came to about £760, working on a cost of £1.50 to produce a mug my break even point is 138 mugs, oh! the wonders of spreadsheets.

gordy
01-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Thank you Alan & Justin, sorry it's been some time, but I'v been bizy.
my mug press I think is a china one, it came from ACE in Derby (they where very nice), it's ok for words but not photos, they had it back and said it had a folty eliment, but a new one in but it's still the same.
I will try to upload a photo so you can see it for your self's, any help would be good.
Thanks Gordon. :D

accdave
01-09-2010, 07:19 AM
it came from ACE in Derby (they where very nice),

I'd never heard of Ace, alas when I ggogled it and found the site it looked remarkably like Joy's. When I saw the address I knew it was. Looks like they changed their name, not suprised given the crap they sell

bms
01-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Looks like a faulty heating element as it shouldn't be that bad. If you turned the mug upside down does the image fail to take in the top part of the mug, which would (a) rule out the mugs and (b) confirm a problem with the heat blanket.

You should get full top to bottom image transfer when printing mugs in any decent mug press with a straight sided mug.

gordy
01-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks Dave, The lady's name was Sue? and the Gent I was dealing with was Trever.
still do you have any suggestion on how to get a round this prob? or can you suggest a name of a good new press?.
Thanks
Gordon.

bms
01-09-2010, 04:38 PM
If you're looking around for a different press then several DSF members and others have our DF1 mug press which is:

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/presses-and-cutters/528/df1-mug-press.htm

There are other, more expensive ones, but this will print perfect mugs and we use this ourselves for demonstrations.

purpledragon
01-09-2010, 11:46 PM
i tell you what you can do a helluve a lot worse than the press martin suggests mines been blummin marvellous , when i first started i bought a joys special i might as well as washed the money down a drain. buy cheap buy twice!!!!