PDA

View Full Version : Do you NEED cactus wraps for a mug oven?

cath
23-08-2010, 12:39 AM
I have just bought a new jml halogen oven. I have cactus wraps but they are tricky to apply/remove and are too big for the mugs i'd like to press. Does anyone know what will happen if i simply tape the sublimation print onto the mug and heat without a wrap? would the image take?
Also, does anyone have any tricks for undoing the cactus wrap bolts quickly as it takes me ages to get the bolt undone with a socket/pliers and risks damaging the mug.
thanks
cath

Reg
23-08-2010, 02:31 PM
A cordless screwdriver with socket attachment might be worth a try on the wraps if they are not to tight.
Reg

JSR
23-08-2010, 02:52 PM
You can try without using the wrap, but you need to get a very snug fit with the paper. Any space between the paper and the mug creates a little air pocket and the print won't be as good if that happens.

Also, if you don't tape all around the paper, you risk ink migration. I did a large Latte mug some months back without a wrap - just using paper and tape. The print came out okay, but ink migrated out from under the paper. This made any exposed part of the mug (the handle) turn green and it left the oven needing a good cleaning. Lesson learned. :oops:

I now use the adjustable wraps from subli-supplies with extra silicon padding for different sized mugs.

The only thing to be wary of is that the last wraps I bought were smaller than the originals (the originals came from subli-nation), making it more difficult to do the larger mugs.

I also have some of these - http://www.revolutiontransfers.co.uk/pr ... d=MUG-LITE (http://www.revolutiontransfers.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=MUG-LITE) These are available in 80mm (regular mugs) and 100mm (barrel steins). They used to be available in 72mm for China mugs, too, but they don't seem to be available anymore.

They do the job but they're not as good, robust, or as flexible as the so called "adjustable" ones. If you're doing barrel steins, however, you don't exactly have a lot of choice.

Both the "adjustable" wraps and the smaller ones from Revolution are easy to apply/remove. You just set them to the size of the mug you're working on (by adjusting bolts or a nut) and then they're set for the whole batch. I haven't used cactus wraps because they seem cumbersome - with that whole bolt-affair, the fact that the bolt has to go through the handle, and having to keep the bolt oiled.

cath
23-08-2010, 06:56 PM
thanks for that. extremely helpful & much appreciated.
Cath.

jennywren
24-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I have a mug oven and use the adjustable wraps from subli supplies and recommend them

swimwivsquid
25-08-2010, 10:27 PM
As long as you tape the paper tightly to he mug you should be fine. We have been using an oven for years and no catcus wraps. Just make sure that you pull the paper around the mug tightly before taping it on. Another bonus with this is your "cooking times" will be a lot shorter and you can get the paper off the mug quicker when you take it out of the oven. We tend to dunk the mugs in warm water with the paper on which cools them down quicky then take off the paper. Simples.....
ps Have got two catcus wraps for moneyboxes as they seem to be not as straight as the mugs and needed extra pressure but latte and durham style mugs no probs.

cath
25-08-2010, 10:40 PM
hi, thanks for that, what temperature and time would you use for sparta mugs without a cactus wrap? I am using a new jml halogen oven, so i guess about 4 mugs at a time.
thanks
cath