PDA

View Full Version : Mug press heat pad wiring

thespringonion
23-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Hello all

I have purchased a latte mug heat blanket to go along side with my existing setup (combomagic from sublimagic). The new blanket has got the same connector however when hooked up onto the machine the display just show "0000" with no heat up.

I know this is a long shot, but has anybody know the general wiring for such heat blanket (or how they work?), I am quite happy to chop and solder the wires to get it going. The new blanket is from a supplier in China and for the cost I'm not even going to think about sending it back. The blankets are so similar that I can't imagine they are incompatible with a little bodge or two!

The existing blanket as 2 white cables cladded in heat wrap, one red and one blue, the new blanket has 2 white cables with heat wrap, 2 thinner black cables and a red cable cladded in heat wrap that doesn't connect with the existing connector.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Patrick

Whispered Spirit
23-08-2010, 05:52 PM
With my knowledge of electrics I'd suggest the red wire on your original is what is supplying the Live feed to the Blanket, Its coming up 0000 because no current is being directed, On the new 1 it is more a case of substituting and combining 1 of the white coverd wires, Get yourself a current detecting screwdriver and remember to earth it through the small croc clip, that should tell you where the current is fed to. (I'd imagine because of the device its meant for there would be no issues with Amp rating and current etc) Good luck :mrgreen:

thespringonion
23-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the reply

Upon further investigation with a multimeter I have found the 2 heat wrapped cables (pin 3 and 4) are in fact the power source (thicker cables, ohm readings between them are ~150ish on both blankets) for both blankets.

The other two cables (pin 1 and 2) on the good blanket generates ~5ohm at room temperature which is wired to a thermo resistor, and obviously the resistance goes up with temperature and computated to give a reading at the main unit.

The conclusion is that my new blanket gives no reading at the thermistor, either it is calibrated to have an open circuit at room temperature (very unlikely, unless someone enlightens me otherwise then I can solder a 5ohm inline resistor to bodge it) or in layman's term, it's KAPUT! :evil: :evil: :evil:

PS All the sensors are moulded in so I don't think I can replace the thermistor somehow... hope this reading can help someone in the future anyway

bms
26-08-2010, 01:15 PM
The two thicker wires are usually the power leads and the two thinner ones the temp. The power leads can be fitted either way around but the temp ones need to go the correct way. If it doesn't work with the two thin wires connected one way then try to reverse them and see if this helps.

thespringonion
26-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Martin

I have tried to reverse the sensor wires but to no avail. The wires give an open circuit reading as opposed to a 5ohm one from a working blanket.

I'm resigned it's DOA :evil: