PDA

View Full Version : Co-Operative Buying

Justin
09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm thinking about approaching a few suppliers to try and get forum members special rates by using a co-operative buying plan. Simply put this would mean you getting a better than usual discount on blanks etc. providing we could get enough orders between us to buy in larger bulk.

Quick example, say we could get a supplier to sell us 1000 coasters with a set discount. I would post the offer on here asking you to indicate how many boxes of 40 you would definately buy. Once we meet the 1000 mark (25 boxes total) the order could be placed and then shipped to each individual. Maybe it would be something simple like free postage which is often a problem putting in smaller orders. We'd have to look at the payment situation but these are all things we can look at in more detail.

Just thought I'd throw it out there to see what you all think. Obviously we're still a young forum with not many members and to get the best deal we'd need many more members with greater buying power but this may well attract other members to us.

If you like the idea, please indicate the type of items you'd be interested in buying, coasters, mugs, mouse mats and so on.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Justin :-)

GoldRapt
09-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I think I would like to be part of this.

castlegategiftcreations
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
sounds like a good idea.

accdave
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Not sure how workable it would be but I'm interested. It's not a million miles away from my thinkng when I posted about the transfers :lol:

Justin
09-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd need to sit down and work it all out that's for sure but it's certainly do'able!

Justin

Justin
09-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Maybe group buying is a better term?

GoldRapt
09-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Not sure how workable it would be but I'm interested. It's not a million miles away from my thinkng when I posted about the transfers :lol:

5 yards maybe :D

JSR
09-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm interested.

The only question would be time frame. For instance, waiting around for a batch of coasters until there's enough to order could lead to us buying from elsewhere if we're in a rush and then we wouldn't want the ones we'd say we would have wanted in the first place. :shock:

But if we can work out the kinks, count me in. http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_cheers.png

gorgall
10-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Sounds good to me.

Justin
10-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm interested.

The only question would be time frame. For instance, waiting around for a batch of coasters until there's enough to order could lead to us buying from elsewhere if we're in a rush and then we wouldn't want the ones we'd say we would have wanted in the first place. :shock:

But if we can work out the kinks, count me in. http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_cheers.png

yes, timeframes may be an issue. It would be great if we could all look inture our crystal balls and see what we'll need in a month or two's time! We'll have to iron a few things out but I'll see what potential deals we can get, even if it's just reduced p&p or discounts for members.

Justin

jennywren
10-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I buy bulk buy mugs, mousemats and coaster ect, not that I need them all at once but in this climate of trade it is not possible to get what you need, when needed. So I horde. Suppliers are not buying in as much or carrying much varity or stock. A example is I like the mousemats I buy, they come up how I like and they feel good. I have to buy of that supplier for consistency, so my problem will be what if you buy mousemats that I don't like and I'm sure that most of you have your own prefences for various things. The other problem is the tax man, vat ect as that will cause problems for the person thats buy (paperwork ) it will cause a problem for those who don't pay tax, the person buying will have to show names as to who brought them, It cause no end of legal stuff. You need to form a coperative, what happens to breakages, who pays for that, who deals with that, I could go on and on. Its not that simple. I'm not trying to a damper on it but it simple is not worth it. I know when I talk about vat and tax it gives the wrong impression and when I metion those dirty words I recive little or no reponse, but who ever takes the task on some kinks won't iron, Sorry if this sounds like a lecture it is not : :|

Justin
10-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Not at all, it's good to get all opinions. I have a few concerns myself but just wanted to throw it out there. If I can get a few suppliers to give members a regular discount this would probably be better.

Justin

accdave
10-11-2009, 09:07 PM
If I can get a few suppliers to give members a regular discount this would probably be better.

Justin

That would be the ideal scenario. I guess members discounts do work, I've got a new mug press on the way. :D

Now we just need to pursuade the supplier who made the mug press offer to get the Ricoh GX7000 on offer at £100 :lol: :lol:

Justin
10-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Ricoh GX5050N for £59+postage? I have another on the way.....
Justin

GoldRapt
10-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Ricoh GX5050N for £59+postage? I have another on the way.....
Justin
hehehe, so you came round to my way of thinking mate :D

Justin
10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Needed another printer for day to day stuff and for the kids so I thought I may as well give one a go for that! Always be there as a backup as well I guess.
I want to get my hands on a couple of sets of normal ink carts as well so if anyone has any please let me know how much you want for them.
Had a couple of offers of carts from subli users that don't need them at a decent price but I'm just waiting to make sure the new printer comes through ok!

Justin

Andrew
01-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Good idea in theory but probably complicated. Many variables and the person setting it up will always take the burden of any problems. Could work though if enough members were commited to it.

Dave S
08-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Good Idea, any discount is better than nothing