PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Size Right?

Stitch Up
22-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Someone delivers a few shirts to you and wants 3 or 4 lines of text on the back and 2 lines on the front.

How do you guys get the size of text right? I always struggle with this and sometimes do a test cut, wasting vinyl, just to see how it looks.

There must be a better way - maybe use a shirt template of the actual shirt size?

Cheers

John

ArferMo
22-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Laser print onto acetate sheet

Stitch Up
22-09-2015, 10:13 PM
I'd have to buy a laser printer :)

Good idea if I had one.

Paul
22-09-2015, 10:52 PM
i measure printable area with measuring tape. create blank document in illustrator and play there. this way i know what is maximum i can get.

Stitch Up
23-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

I've been playing around and decided to create a Coreldraw template with a picture of a t-shirt at full size - the same size as an actual shirt. I then locked the object (the t-shirt) and saved as a template.

All I have to do is open the template, create my design on top, size the design so it looks right relative to the shirt, and the send to the cutter. Seems to work and just what I needed :)

Earl Smith
23-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Hi John.
If Im not sure I will print the design or text in the right size onto paper , cut it out and lay it onto the shirt. This also works great if the customer is there and he/she then agrees on the size and placing of the design.
But as a rule of thumb the size for adult shirts I use is 28 to 30 cm wide , 9 to 12cm down from the collar on the back or 9cm down on the front. Its about the same size as an A4 sheet of paper layed on its side.

R.Prints
23-09-2015, 10:40 AM
I just tell them it will be as large as possible to fit on an A4 panel. This they seem to understand.

markmade
23-09-2015, 11:11 AM
I design using a A4 panel too makes it easy for customers to understand nearly all my items are priced at that size.

mags1892
25-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Print onto inkjet film its not too expensive i sell loads for screenprinting

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

logobear
25-09-2015, 05:16 PM
most mens nipples are about 230mm apart, - depending on the size of the garment, the bit between the nips is your prime slogan space, can go maybe 20 beyond each side so for fronts we size to 250 - 270mm; text size is dictated by how many words/letters there are...... or how big the client specifies.
You can create a 10cm box in your graphics program, then control zoom until the box measures 10cm on screen, and view text on screen at actual size to judge....

mrs maggot
26-09-2015, 09:34 AM
lol, logo, thats exactly what i work to, nippleage - of course the other thing that dictates to me if doing more than 1 is how many i can fit across a full sheet, ie 2 wide or up to 5 across depending on the slogan i am printing at the time

Stitch Up
26-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the tips :) Very interesting.

I'm still working on my CorelDraw template Idea, sized the same as the shirt so anything I design on top of the image will be right AND, I can send the design as a mock-up :)

Not perfected it yet, bet getting there :)