PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed

jennywren
23-09-2015, 10:34 PM
My grandson wants a superman t.shirt for Xmas, he asked me to print him one. I said no as I know its copyrighted, but I just thought I check, as I know you can't use it for public use, wondering any when I can use it within the law, his face dropped when I said no, as it would be seen by the public and I don't want to get into trouble.

Justin
23-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Two choices, buy him one (will probably be knock off anyway!) or print it and tell him not to tell anyone else.....yeah, he'll tell everyone!

jennywren
23-09-2015, 11:00 PM
He'll tell everyone, he brings his friends in the shop and shows me off, like I'm his prize pet. He thinks I'm the bee's knees. pity, not the same buying him one. he likes all the japanese comics. I would to like have incorporate that style in superman logo. Spiced it up a little

mr-gobby
24-09-2015, 08:45 AM
We wont tell if you don't so just say father Christmas made it or he got it off ebay

Earl Smith
24-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Why not just print it and tell him you bought it. He will be non the wiser.

ArferMo
24-09-2015, 12:13 PM
Isn't there something about copyright that it only applies if money changes hands and nothing applies if it's for personal use...... the bit that applies to the brother disney embroidery machine for example.

jennywren
24-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Isn't there something about copyright that it only applies if money changes hands and nothing applies if it's for personal use...... the bit that applies to the brother disney embroidery machine for example.
I've heard that but I've searched but not found it, some of the things I've read on copyright are sooooooooo complicated that I feel I'm reading Klingon and come away no wiser

samoht146
24-09-2015, 01:02 PM
A little bit off the subject but I made some ridge magnets of a BILLION £ note and used some celebrity photo's on them-they were postcard size and laminated,I gotsuspended from eBay as the Bank of England says it could have been mistaken as 'legal tender' as a real billion £ note does exist!-I hadn't stamped 'specimen' over it.I am bewildered!!!

Earl Smith
24-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Billion Pound note. Yep, I always keep a couple around for a rainy day. :-)

Andrew
24-09-2015, 09:26 PM
He's your grandson so print him anything he wants. When I get to that stage of having grandkids I will print them all sorts for a bit of fun. I am sure others will be strict on these things but very close family and copyright would be slackened.

mrs maggot
24-09-2015, 09:47 PM
why not alter it to have his initial in it instead of the S for superman, unless his name is Steve !!!

jennywren
24-09-2015, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=mrs maggot;104766]why not alter it to have his initial in it instead of the S for superman, unless his name is Steve !!![/QUOTE
Thats a good idea , I'll go with that, thats like half a copyright infringement.

mags1892
25-09-2015, 07:46 AM
It only matters if you get caught and its a one for its not likely anyone would grass. If you were selling on ebay thats a diff story.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ucase Ltd
25-09-2015, 11:07 AM
You're worrying too much.

I'm very careful and never sell any copyrighted stuff but if family and friends ask for something I usually oblige.
Even if (worst case scenario) you were reported, I can't see anyone pursuing you for making 1 item as a gift.

galerion
26-09-2015, 08:42 AM
http://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Infographic_CanIUseThatPicture4.jpg

mrs maggot
26-09-2015, 09:33 AM
That poster, should be on a sticky pin in this section "copyright and other legal matters" it would be a good resource for people to use

Deano82
26-09-2015, 10:49 AM
i got brilliant eye sight but cant read the orange on white or the green on white but can the red on white

galerion
26-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Right click it then view image, you should then be able to then zoom in and out by left clicking it without any quality loss.

Deano82
26-09-2015, 10:58 AM
thank you that helped

jennywren
26-09-2015, 12:20 PM
I think that's a no for me, its always a minefeild

JSR
28-09-2015, 12:17 PM
The "Superman" diamond logo is a trademark, and as such is protected by trademark law, not copyright. A trademarked logo cannot be used in a way that suggests an endorsement by the logo's owner where none exists.

Putting the logo on a t-shirt, even for your grandson, may suggest an endorsement by the logo's owner and put you at risk. Even if you alter the logo slightly (changing the S to another letter), it would be considered trademark confusion and thus trademark dilution could be argued.

I'm certainly not a legal person - however, as I understand it, one criteria of registering a trademark is that the trademark-owner must pursue infringer(s) when found or risk not being able to defend their trademark in the future (because if they don't bring an infringement suit it could be classed as "implied consent"). So they will come after you, even for a one-off item, if they find out. You may end up with nothing more than a heavy-handed "cease and desist", or they could presume that you've been making hundreds of them and sue you, but that would be for them to decide.

mr-gobby
28-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Try producing a parody?
http://www.t-shirtmagazineonline.com/7-legal-tips/

galerion
28-09-2015, 01:30 PM
You may still have problems with parody stuff as the parody law in the uk is relatively new.
Owners of the copyrighted works will only be able to sue if the parody conveys a discriminatory message.
It would then be down to a judge to decide if the parody is funny.
"The only, and essential, characteristics of parody are, on the one hand, to evoke an existing work while being noticeably different from it and, on the other, to constitute an expression of humour or mockery," the EU rules state.
"If a parody conveys a discriminatory message (for example, by replacing the original characters with people wearing veils and people of colour), the holders of the rights to the work parodied have, in principle, a legitimate interest in ensuring that their work is not associated with such a message."

Also remember the parody law is in relation to copyright not trademark so if your parodying a trademark the parody law won't protect you.

logobear
28-09-2015, 02:32 PM
the 'Can I use that picture' artwork is brilliant, - but do you have permission to post it here, ? - am I alowed to download and print it, or post it on my facebook page ? lol

galerion
28-09-2015, 02:47 PM
the 'Can I use that picture' artwork is brilliant, - but do you have permission to post it here, ? - am I alowed to download and print it, or post it on my facebook page ? lol

It is good, I don't have permission and I would say it's being used for educational purposes from there it can answer the rest of the questions which is great.

JSR
28-09-2015, 04:12 PM
If the posted graphic had been linked back to the original site, you would have found a discussion in the comments on that very subject. Here's the link: http://thevisualcommunicationguy.com/2014/07/14/can-i-use-that-picture/.

In short, it looks like it's okay to post it in this context so long as you linkback to and cite the original author.

jennywren
28-09-2015, 04:24 PM
As I said its a minefield but when I look online or at others art work or website, facebook all I see it other people work used one way or another, even mine is copied and used. I have a tiny mark that I place hidden in my artwork and its not easy to spot unless you know where to look. I type in superman t.shirts and hundreds pop up and some call themselves independent artists. I never understand why they are still allowed to sell, its the same with ebay. It seems like a hit and miss affair with copyright. I give up, I understand the basic rules but the rest of the rules just go over my head. I just get frustrated at the others that get away it and do so. I will not be doing the superman t.shirt but might become a independent artist (joke)

GoldRapt
29-09-2015, 11:26 AM
My grandson wants a superman t.shirt for Xmas, he asked me to print him one. I said no as I know its copyrighted, but I just thought I check, as I know you can't use it for public use, wondering any when I can use it within the law, his face dropped when I said no, as it would be seen by the public and I don't want to get into trouble.

It is a minefield. Even if you go down the road of doing things properly.
I recently applied to Jack Daniels for a licence to reproduce their full bottle label as a montage. I fully disclosed what the montage would be applied to (A firearm) and where it would be available (USA only).
I got a nice letter back from them. They wouldn't grant me the licence on the grounds that they did not want to be associated with firearms use and that they only granted licenses to businesses employed to do work for them directly. However they had no objection to my using their trade mark for non commercial purposes.
(i.e I can post a picture pf the montage on Facebook as it is in effect an advert for them.)
Absolutely no problem, I asked, they said no. Idea shelved.

What I find annoying is when I go to places like Etsy and see loads of "Handcrafted" items (like aprons and T-shirts etc) and offered for sale with the JD label.
None of them have permission.
Etsy doesn't care.
The individual sellers don't care, hell I even wrote to one to ask where they got their licence from....Didn't even bother to reply.
JD don't seem to care.

So forgive my cynical view but it appears that you can print that Tshirt jennywren. No one cares if you do, unless of course your product gets so huge you force someone to sit up, take notice and do something about it.

jennywren
29-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Having thought long and hard about this superman t.shirt I have decided to buy one, and I seen a few that are not licensed that I like. It seems the only way forwarded.

Earl Smith
01-10-2015, 05:58 PM
The "Superman" diamond logo is a trademark, and as such is protected by trademark law, not copyright. A trademarked logo cannot be used in a way that suggests an endorsement by the logo's owner where none exists.

Putting the logo on a t-shirt, even for your grandson, may suggest an endorsement by the logo's owner and put you at risk. Even if you alter the logo slightly (changing the S to another letter), it would be considered trademark confusion and thus trademark dilution could be argued.

I'm certainly not a legal person - however, as I understand it, one criteria of registering a trademark is that the trademark-owner must pursue infringer(s) when found or risk not being able to defend their trademark in the future (because if they don't bring an infringement suit it could be classed as "implied consent"). So they will come after you, even for a one-off item, if they find out. You may end up with nothing more than a heavy-handed "cease and desist", or they could presume that you've been making hundreds of them and sue you, but that would be for them to decide.

So, are you saying that this ad with the "Superman" Diamond that runs in the DSF banner is not legal as well?

rossdv8
04-10-2015, 10:34 AM
If he likes Superman and Japanese comics you could get someone 'arty' to design something like this:

jennywren
04-10-2015, 10:56 AM
There was a comic show that he attended and came back with a glass with vinyl with a batman logo it cost £4.00, loads of other stuff and none of it was arty and crap. It does seem that few people are caught. He had a caricature done of himself and this is what I shall use. But I shall probably be breaking some copyright law and I couldn't care less. It was a good likeness suitable for mugs, sublimation t.shirts, and to cut and do it on a hoodie in vinyl. So I'm sorted for his christmas present. So in theory like rossdv8 says its arty