PDA

View Full Version : Canvas printing with ink jet printers

morrowmedia
31-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey, sorry if there is a topic which covers this already but I havent found exactly what i'm looking for yet.
I'm new to canvas printing and would like to know what type of inkjet printers can print canvases or can all potentially?
I currently have an hp photosmart c5280 but am thinking about getting a better printer if I am going to start into canvases.

Would I need a certain type of ink or canvas material for inkjet printers?
Would I be better going down the dye sublimation route of canvases?
Are there any printers people would recommend?
Are A3 printers better for this?

Any advice is great please :D

bms
31-08-2010, 08:23 PM
You can print onto canvas with sublimation printing, but you'll be restricted to the size of your printer/ heat press for the size you want to print onto. You can also get inkjet printable canvas for larger printers - it depends on what size prints you want to do. An A3 Epson sublimation printer will produce a 13" x 19" (approx) print which can go onto a 16" x 10" frame (with the print returned around the edges).

If you want to go bigger then you'll need a bigger printer...

morrowmedia
31-08-2010, 10:11 PM
right so if I use a sublimation printer I will need a heat press also?
But I take it this process is better than using an inkjet printer??
Are there any inkjet printers which you would recommend to use for canvas printing. A3.

Thanks a lot for your help by the way!
It is very much appreciated, i've been on the bms website there also which is helpful!

bms
31-08-2010, 10:18 PM
right so if I use a sublimation printer I will need a heat press also?
Yes you will

But I take it this process is better than using an inkjet printer??
No, I think the direct to canvas printing would produce a better result, but then you have a print possibly for just one main purpose.

Are there any inkjet printers which you would recommend to use for canvas printing. A3.
Sorry this moves a little way out of my field of knowledge - perhaps other members might be able to help?

morrowmedia
31-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks so much Martin, great help!

ok, so looking for recommendations for an ink jet printer to print canvases. Preferably A3.
Im new to this so any advice is much appreciated guys!
Canvas type, ink, printer, etc! :D

confidential
31-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Chris,

Personally I would avoid Epson's when using pigment inks. You get great results when they are working properly, but they are a right royal pita when the nozzles clog - lots of head cleaning and wasted ink at best, a new head and service at worse!

If you're getting into canvas printing then you should stretch your budget a bit further and get a bigger printer. The Canon prograf LP17 or LP 24 (A2 & A1) in my opinion are better than the equivelant Epson's and if the head does ever die, you can swap it out yourself like an ink cartridge.

Buying bulk ink is easier on the pocket, if you're printing in large quantities. Depending on your market, the cheap bright white polyester canvas gives a great result and is far easier to stretch than cotton canvas.

morrowmedia
31-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks.
Any tips for stretching canvases on frames?

confidential
01-09-2010, 12:32 AM
If you are only doing small frames - under 20" then you can do them by hand or with stretcher pliers, anything bigger then a quickmate or similar is what you want.