PDA

View Full Version : Good cutter to start off

Lavinl30
06-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Hi All

Ive started a new job and have plenty of time at home so looking at starting my own little printing business.

I will be looking at cutting Vinyl for wall art stickers, T-shirts, Car/Van stickers and signs.

As Im just starting off Im only looking at something cheap and second hand, If the business picks up I will look at upgrading.

Can anyone advice on the right cutter for me? Size, Model? Also any heads up on where to look?

Thanks guys, we've all got to start off somewhere.

Lavinl30
06-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Also needs to be able to run on a mac.

logos unlimited
06-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Hi,
we use a Roland I think you can pick up a old secondhand one for about £300
good luck

scotty44
07-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Im a Roland and Graphtec fan, you wont go wrong with either (other good makes out there but these are the 2 makes I have and used)
Size will depend on funds? but a 24" would be a good starting point, Roland camm1,CM,GX etc.... as said depends on what you want to spend...
I would keep away from the "no make" cutters, been there done that years ago :rolleyes:

KathG
07-10-2015, 09:35 AM
I have several cutters, 3 being what I now call hobby cutters. A couple of months ago we bought the Graphtec CE6000-40. This cutter is a pleasure to work with and beats hands down any of the other cutters like the Cameo and the Cricut.
So if you can stretch to buying something like a Graphtec to begin with you wont be thinking in a few months time you need to upgrade to something larger.
The only proviso is that I wish I had gone with the CE6000-60. I agree with Scotty try to go for a 24" model.

Lavinl30
07-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Hi,
I've been offered a graphec 5000-40.
it comes with all original box and disks and a bit of vinyl.
is it worth buying this? Will cost about £400?

logos unlimited
07-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Hi Kath,

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the Graphtec ?
Regards Paul

KathG
07-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi Paul,
No problem. I purchased from The Magic Touch. It was £595 + Vat
Its a great cutter, just finished cutting 3 different HTV's and it did not miss a beat. Love it. Though now I'm wishing I had bought the 24". We are never happy. ��...LOL..

malfunction
07-10-2015, 04:32 PM
£400 seems a bit steep to me. I'd sell mine for £300. I still have original box and disks. Where are you located?

Lavinl30
07-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Im in between liverpool. its for sale for £350 in scotland, didnt know how much courier would be but just checked and its £17.
I can also get hold of a Roland camm 1 vinyl cutter with laptop and vinyl. its advertised at £450 and only down the road.

malfunction
07-10-2015, 07:02 PM
With you being new to this I would recommend seeing it working, The 5000-40 is a great machine, I have both that and a roland cx-24.
Is there a model number on the Camm 1? If it's a cm-24 or a cx-24 it's a bit overpriced, if it's a gx-24 it sounds a bargain if it's working ok and not been abused.
I would defiantly stick with a "proper" cutter like a Roland or Graphtec, the Chinese ones can be a pain to set up and most are not too reliable.

Lavinl30
07-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Roland camm 1 vinyl cutter with laptop and vinyl.
Here is a great starter pack for your own decal business.
Make wall decals, tshirts, bags. Plus many more items

Thats the advert for the roland, its only 30 mins away so I could go and have a look at it.
Im planning on doing sub printing for tshirts, phone cases and doing vinyl stickers for cars or tshirts.
Ive got a macbrook pro that I was planning on using but not sure on what software, would it be worth me getting the roland set up as it comes with a laptop.

Im planning on buying either the roland or Graphtec cutter.

This Epson printer for £240
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epson-Photo-1500W-A3-Printer-Empty-Continuous-Ink-System-Dye-Sublimation-/381426268913?hash=item58cec6faf1

Was thinking about the Galaxy Neptune Heat press. just not sure what size to get yet.

Then probably get the neptune mug press too...

If you can advise about the set up let me know.

Lavinl30
07-10-2015, 07:55 PM
thanks for all your help btw malfunction

malfunction
07-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Ok, it sounds like the roland is an older model, though still a good machine it wont have usb which causes problems with newer computers not having serial or parallel ports, also newer operating systems can be a problem. Even though it's local I would pass on it.
Regarding the printer, unless you really need A3 the Ricoh/Sawgrass A4 is much more suitable for sublimation and is a similar price including proper sawgrass ink. Having said that I use an epson and it works ok though not without problems. I will buy Ricoh when funds allow.
Good news is the Neptune gets really good reviews, one here from Paul (one of the mods on here) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XlexyJG6w

Best advice I can give is to have a good look through this forum and youtube you will get so much info on setting up. So many people just dive in and buy on impulse and regret it later.

Lavinl30
07-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Would you pass on the graphtec one then or just try to get it cheaper??
The printer I researched on here, thats why Ive gone for it.
Glad about the neptune... would you recommend a decent mug press? would like to do latte classes and different size cups.
Could I use the graphtec with my mac via usb?

malfunction
07-10-2015, 09:36 PM
I think the Graphtec would be ok for you, it will work on your mac via usb, The supplied software is more than adequate. I think it is overpriced at £350 though, The new model 6000-40 is about £670. It's a shame your so far away, i'd be happy to show you mine working.
Regarding a mug press, i'm no expert on them, I have a cheapy one that works ok for the few mugs I do, I suppose it's down to your budget, You will need maybe the 16 x 20 heatpress if your going A3 printer that's the best part of £500 + £240 for the printer and say £300 for a cutter, that's without ink and other consumables.

Lavinl30
07-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Graphtec CE5000-40-CRP ( Craft Robo ProS ) Vinyl Cutter.Graphtec CE5000-40 vinyl cutter in excellent working condition. Usual marks with usage. Comes complete with mains & usb cable, driver & software disc, rear vinyl rollers, 2 used sticky mats for contour cutting ( these can be revitalised using spray adhesive ), 4 discs with various templates and printed user instructions. This is far superior than the Silhouette model. I am still using this so I can give a demo before parting with any cash. £350.

ill try to knock him down... If not Ill keep my eyes out over the next few months and see if anyone from here is upgrading or anything.

malfunction
07-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Sounds sensible to me. :-)

scotty44
08-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Roland camm 1 vinyl cutter with laptop

I wouldn't pass on this untill you know what model it is, the camm 1 is the series, it could well be a gx-24 and they have not added the "pro or servo" bit
(with it running via a laptop it's possible it's USB ;) )
Well worth asking the question or asking for a picture just incase you're missing out on a good cutter :wink:
I had a Epson A3 which worked ok, but when I got a Ricoh there is a big difference between the 2! as said if you dont need the A3 printer, go with the Ricoh...

logos unlimited
09-10-2015, 06:58 AM
Hi Paul,
No problem. I purchased from The Magic Touch. It was £595 + Vat
Its a great cutter, just finished cutting 3 different HTV's and it did not miss a beat. Love it. Though now I'm wishing I had bought the 24". We are never happy. 😉...LOL..

Hi Kath,

Thats a good price, do you get your vinyl from Magic Touch or Expres ?
Regards Paul

KathG
09-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Hi Paul, We started getting our HTV from The Magic Touch, but the last few orders we have bought TMT 123 Premium flex from Pencarrie where we buy most of t-shirts from. They carry some of Xpres and TMT stock and it is the same price. So it works out good and saves us on postage.

KathG
09-10-2015, 09:55 AM
This dropped into my email box this morning. This is a good price for anyone looking for a Graphtec CE6000-60 24".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graphtec-ce6000-60-/121760909252?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Lavinl30
11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Im only looking at an entry level one, something that will last me a year and maybe then ill be looking at spending £1000 on a cutter.

Anyone here got one for sale?