PDA

View Full Version : 3M 75 spray mount onto substrate or paper?

UK Printed Mugs
28-10-2015, 09:51 PM
We decided to see if spray mount would aid mouse mats and neoprene purse pressing especially after watching some Conde videos. In the videos they spray paper but when we try it affects the ink on the paper and causes dark spots that do not disappear. Spraying substrate seemed to work but is this really the best way to position paper? Olly

dougbraz
03-05-2016, 10:54 PM
I spay the paper - lightly - (from a distance) holding it vertically which I think helps avoid the eventual "blobs" you can get. I star the spray actually "off the paper so the initial burst doesn't hit it at all.

JMugs
03-05-2016, 11:03 PM
I have never thought about it....I just spray the paper. Never used it for anything other than t-shirts and tote bags.
Which brings me on to another point. I watched somebody else printing t-shirts and he just threw the print on, pressed, took it off and there was no ghosting. If I try that I get ghosting.

Sublimation is a weird thing.

Janners

UK Printed Mugs
03-05-2016, 11:06 PM
So is replying to 6 month old posts :cool:

dougbraz
04-05-2016, 12:13 AM
So is replying to 6 month old posts :cool:

True , true...but at least there was closure..
horrible to put up a doubt and receive silence back..

dougbraz
04-05-2016, 12:16 AM
I have never thought about it....I just spray the paper. Never used it for anything other than t-shirts and tote bags.
Which brings me on to another point. I watched somebody else printing t-shirts and he just threw the print on, pressed, took it off and there was no ghosting. If I try that I get ghosting.

Sublimation is a weird thing.

Janners

I never got ghosting without the spray. I just started using the spray to hold the image down in the right spot.

logobear
04-05-2016, 10:28 AM
we found that high pressure led to ghosting - press 'bounce' we call it.
If you set the pressure really light there is no movement, - so no bounce!

JMugs
04-05-2016, 11:39 AM
press 'bounce'

Love that phrase....made me chuckle. I'll try lighter pressure.

Janners

socialgiraffe
04-05-2016, 01:19 PM

I have sublimating for years and can not print a high vis polo shirt without ghosting, no matter what the pressure is. However, my lad that presses 500 odd pieces of high vis clothing a week for me and has been sublimating for roughly 30 seconds has never had a problem. grrrrr, really gets my goat :biggrin:

JMugs
04-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Well I never..... just pressed a t-shirt under my press with nothing more than the weight of the platten. No spray adhesive....no ghosting. Tried again with the lightest of clamping pressure, and it ghosted, ease back to just the weight of the platten...no ghosting.

So a 6 month old thread was useful to me.

Granted its one of Dickies 610 by 420 (or something like that) hence it is a rather heavy platten!

Janners