PDA

View Full Version : Grainy images

joannemi
09-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi all

I am new to both the forum and to sublimation printing and need a spot of advice.
I am attempting to print black and white photos onto a sublimation mug and the image is coming out grainy. As well as coming out grainy occasionally the black ink looks blue..
I am using a Epson D92 printer.
I have tried various times of transfer from 3 minutes to 4 minutes and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have also tried putting the mug in tepid water after and again no difference.

I am thinking maybe it is down to the printer and I should buy a better model

Help?

Andrew
09-09-2010, 09:40 AM
What profile are you using for the printer?

Also, are you printing on the correct side of the paper and what paper is it?

joannemi
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I am not sure what profile I am using how can I check?

I bought the whole package off a guy on ebay and it came with paper. The paper was in a brown box with no writing on so again not sure what kind it is. I have been searching the web and checked the paper to see if one side was whiter then the other or if one side seemed sticky and both sides seem the same and neither are stickier then the other. I was going to buy some different paper and have a go..

I am using photoshop cs4

joannemi
09-09-2010, 09:49 AM
I am also printing text and that is coming out perfect

Andrew
09-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi Joanne,

You possibly need to download the correct profile. Some of the suppliers might have this or quite often it is available from the Sawgrass website. When you click print and do any settings etc. what program is that in?

The paper used is of a specific type. It is basically a carrier paper that holds the ink on the surface to allow it to be transfered correctly. This usually takes place correctly on one side only. I know some papers you can hardly tell the difference. How does the image look on the paper once printed? Is it grainy then?

Good luck,

Andrew

joannemi
09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Andrew

When I click print and settings it comes up with Epson stylus D92 series. Is this what you mean?

The image looks a lot paler but doesnt appear grainy although it doesnt look like a sharp print

Andrew
09-09-2010, 10:29 AM
It sounds like you haven't got the correct driver installed which controls the sublimation ink. Your best bet is probably getting in touch with Martin at Printerowners.co.uk..... he'll probably be along here soon anyway. I don't know if Sawgrass would have this on their site for download as it is an older model. I would also get a pack of paper as the right type can make a big difference.

joannemi
09-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks Andrew I will

Is there any particular paper you recommend?

AJLA
09-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I use the True pix classic and nothing else although i have tried many others including just normal Epson paper (which my friend swears by) I prefer the Truepix for it's vibrancy. Having said that I have never achieved a decent b+w image, text yes but not a photo. I have a D88.

bms
09-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Epson stylus D92 series
Sorry there isn't a profile for the Epson D92 as it wasn't a supported printer for sublimation inks.

Ian M
09-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi Joanne,

I use an Epson S21 which I think replaced the D92 & I use the D88 profile which I find works fine.

As for black & white photographs I always convert them to black & white in an imaging suite. They do seem to come out that bit better once converted to black & white.

As for the paper it is always best to buy from someone who supplies sublimation items such as BMS, Xpres or Subli Supplies just to name a few.

Hope this helps & let's know how you get on.

Ian :D

Paul
10-09-2010, 02:31 PM
hi. there is no point to download icc if you dont use artanium inks. you can create icc profile for your ink but it may cost u up to 30 quid. regards paper i recomend texprint HR paper. just search google for best price. and regards blue insted of black u may try digerent preasure as well. give it a heavy one for 3 minutes.