PDA

View Full Version : Do you advertise?

paul 44
14-01-2016, 07:03 PM
I am toying with advertising via yell.com, don't know whether this is a good idea or not, anybody had any experience with them?

I have had a number of quotes ranging from £18.00 pm to £36.00 pm.
I am currently on ebay and etsy which is where i made a few sales up to xmas which was only a few quid to be honest and as I'm looking to build up, advertising I thought may be the way to go?

I have no website as yet, well I have the domain etc but the site is not up yet but looking to get this done in the next few weeks or so.

Needing advice on advertising etc and what really works best?

Thanks

Paul

ArferMo
14-01-2016, 07:16 PM
When did you last look at a yell advert don't think I have seen one for years if I'm looking for something I either look on ebay or google.

I'm not saying sell on eBay cuz I don't and you won't make much money there after fees and postage costs trying to compete against foreign imports. Add to that if you get one or two bad buyers giving you duff feedback then you are trashed and soooo many now do that just to get the item for free.

GoonerGary
14-01-2016, 08:09 PM
The problem with advertising on google or yell is that other companies use those listings to cold call you daily...top page of google scams, fake advertising, interested in our service types?

I would set up your site and register on google maps?? Local people will find you.

Found it:
https://www.google.com/business/

paul 44
14-01-2016, 08:20 PM
As far as I know, it's not listed with the usual 'ad' wording next to the post, all this is is that when certain keywords are typed within a certain geographical area, front page results i.e t-shirts printers

I have a 3-4 competitors, one is major which is a dtg setup and have been around for years. I did get over spill from them for a few items in the run up to xmas.

Fees and postage are a bit of a headache, £1.26 1st class for a shirt + the shirt (£1.50) and printing costs, I probably make a few quid on the shirt if selling for say £8.00 - £9.00 which is where ebay can destroy you due to the cheap imports, and yes, crappy feedback goes against you on ebay which is not great but have had none.

I hope i'd get more business locally but it's the initial jump and whether it's worth it in the long term (6 months is the term)

calvinabc
14-01-2016, 11:03 PM
try facebook.

Stitch Up
15-01-2016, 07:49 AM
Yup, Facebook 'Buy & Sell' groups for your region and further is the way to go.

jennywren
15-01-2016, 09:07 AM
All places they have mentioned is good, I've advertised in many places and its been a waste of money, word of mouth from other people have increased who know about my business than advertising. We have a website and that in its own way is advertising as well as bringing in income. Facebook has been good for us

paul 44
25-02-2016, 06:31 PM
I didn't go down the advertising route. I have a website, not great so far but needs a little tweaking to get noticed on google. I have a facebook page and also thought i'd go with shopify to boost this as they have a store and also facebook selling options from which i had 1 visit grrrrr!

I am now thinking of shop windows advertising in my local area for the cheap option but had some great feedback from locals that I have printed for so may well be worth a shot?

technick
09-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Paul, i am about to launch on Shopify, Etsy, Facebook, Twitter. Will have to pay for advertising to get the reach on Facebook and have a number of email marketing campaigns set up using a marketing suite.

bigj2552
09-04-2016, 08:46 PM
every sale we get on amazon, or ebay, we slip in a flyer for our web site and wee discount as well just to dangle the carrot a bit ;)
twitter is a lot better than fadbook ( spelling intentional )....more interaction on twitter and a much larger audience me thinks....we fire up new products for sale on amazon via twitter,use certain hashtags, sure enough we get some sales on that product within 2/3 days...so something must be working - but twitter takes time to build up followers, and the such....

mrs maggot
10-04-2016, 11:32 AM
Paul find some local business to work with, ie wedding planners, party shops, look at the amount of business you can handle, and then add in social groups, ie coffee mornings, children's play mornings, offer the mums & dads personalised items for kids birthdays, make up a small display and then hawk yourself around these places with flyers, and order forms to take away, and make sure you are wearing personalised Poloshirt etc. Emphasise local - if there is a local craft / farmers market, go to it. ask a local (non chain) bookshop if you could have some display space, offer them personalised merchandise in return. Keep your business local, and you will keep a good supply of customers, and a lot of the time will be able to hand deliver items.