PDA

View Full Version : Nas

arthur.daley
23-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Anyone purchased a NAS recently - any experiences to share?

I have been recommended to look at Synology and ideally a raid device, which seems sensible. What i need is something that I can easily expand the capacity of in the future. I don't run a network at here but if I understand things correctly (that would be a first) if I plug a NAS into our Virgin router or indeed any of the local switches i have - workshop, living room, sons bedroom, the NAS should be capable of backing up every device without any need to set all of the computers up on a formal network.

Something with a really simple interface would be good as i don't speak computer geek :o( (as you can tell from the above!)

Hope that all makes sense!

Any pearls of wisdom folks?

Arthur

Fidget242
29-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Did you ever go for a NAS? We've been looking into getting one as a media server but not sure if they're too complicated to use, lol. We use Dropbox for backing up and synchronising files across our computers though if that helps?

arthur.daley
01-03-2016, 09:10 AM
still haven't sorted one out - really must get this done! Not sure its the ideal device to use as a media server though - you want to share files across your computers or do you mean you want to keep music and videos on it to access from any computer?

gazfocus
13-03-2016, 07:47 PM
I would highly recommend the Synology Nas units. If you go to Synology's website, you can try out their admin console which is a very good system. They also have the ability to mix and match drive sizes too, so you don't have to have all identical drives running. I had a Synology 4 bay Nas with just 2 drives in it, and had it connected to some CCTV cameras as well, but have recently replaced it with a Dell server that I got for £100 after cashback.

ukuwi
15-03-2016, 05:24 PM
My thoughts for what they are worth is buy an empty NAS case and fill it with the biggest solid state drive you can afford, plug it into your router, it will work perfectly well as a media server and will stream audio and video content to every pc on your network without issue, though if you want to stream to your tv there are many cheap boxes that will do this for you, apple tv, android media servers, xbmc, if you are after a level of redundancy I would use cloud storage, as my first Nas (about 20 years ago) died and destroyed all the platters losing all my family photos in the process.