PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Printing

Justin
12-11-2009, 12:33 AM
http://www.xpres.co.uk/systems/crystal_print_systems

Anyone using this system or one similar?

Justin :-)

pablo
12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
That uv oven is expensive!

JSR
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
http://www.xpres.co.uk/systems/crystal_print_systems

Anyone using this system or one similar?

Justin :-)
First time I've seen one in colour. At £1150 for the start-up package, it's probably the last time I'll see one too... :o

Justin
12-11-2009, 07:08 PM
I noticed the UV box is £595+vat, I'm sure it used to be nearer £300....uhm

I think there are cheaper ways to do it.

Justin

Stitch Up
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Doesn't the exposure to UV light simply cure the adhesive? If so, it's a bl***y rip off!

Paul
12-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Doesn't the exposure to UV light simply cure the adhesive? If so, it's a bl***y rip off!

yep! you can do your own exposure unit :)

Stitch Up
12-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I use Xpres quite a bit and also Victory BUT, some of these traders risk alienating themselves with such exploitation.

I received a marketing email from Victory yesterday which demonstrates they're moving into many of our markets - heat pressed clothing etc.

John

Justin
12-11-2009, 07:57 PM

This is what I thought. You can buy the adhesives and papers seperate so surely all the box is doing is curing the glue......I agree at this price it's crazy. I'll find alternatives!

Justin

GoldRapt
12-11-2009, 09:31 PM
where do you get the paper and adhesives please J?

Justin
12-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I mean't that Xpres sell them on their site. Not found UK suppliers yet but you can get them from China for import.

A4 Jet Film - £25 for 50 sheets
Glues - 250g for £15

joconnell
12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I looked at Crystal with Xpres before I decided to go with the sublimation package. The crystal impressed me at the beginning but what put me off was that the image fades after 12 to 18 months due to UV light. To me fair to Xpres they pointed this out to me when I spoke to them and found them honest and upfront.
Regards,
James

Justin
12-11-2009, 10:56 PM
what put me off was that the image fades after 12 to 18 months due to UV light

That's interesting, not heard that, thanks James. We have very high levels of UV up here so something I'll have to bear in mind!

Justin

Paul
12-11-2009, 11:03 PM
But is this same with sublimation. When you expose let say door plaque outside i dont think it's going to last 18mc...
Now we got dishwasher proof mugs etc now we need weather proof stuff :)

joconnell
12-11-2009, 11:35 PM
With crystal printing you are printing onto a film whereas in sublimation the ink is inside the surface.

castlegategiftcreations
13-11-2009, 04:00 PM
we bought a crystal machine from domglobal which does exactly the same as xpres's one but whenever i put the film in the printer the inks just run all over the place and i have not been able to do one yet.

Great idea but kind of got fed up trying to print onto the film.

We use an epson inkjet printer which is what we are meant to use.

joconnell
13-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Julie -anne,
This is what I saw on Xpre site.
"The print is running or smudging on the film?
Ensure you have removed the correct side from the vinyl. The print side has an easy to remove clear film.

The other side (non printable side) has a frosted backing. "
Hope this can help.
Regards,
James

Stitch Up
13-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Stupid question I know but you are printing on the correct side of the paper aren't you and the printer option is set for photo and photo grade paper (uses less ink)

John

castlegategiftcreations
13-11-2009, 04:22 PM
not a stupid question John as I did wonder this myself when it first started happening so tried the other side and the same happened.

I think i might try again at the weekend as we have just changed to a different epson printer so maybe this will help. I can't see it but I am willing to try as the uv machine is sitting on counter in shop looking like a decoration gathering dust!!!

Thanks for the advice I will let you know how i get on.

JSR
13-11-2009, 04:32 PM
We use an epson inkjet printer which is what we are meant to use.
This is probably another silly question, but are you using the right inks?

I don't know what inks you use for crystal printing, but if it's Epson OEM inks, they do most printers with pigment ink these days. Epson used to sell a film-based paper in the old days but stopped selling it when they moved over to pigment inks because the ink would just run off it (unlike the old dye-based inks).

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you're experiencing.

JSR

DaveM
01-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I noticed this UV exposure unit on ebay, not sure if it would suit the needs of
making crystals ?

Item Number 330375341030

Never having seen one, I was not sure if tubes needed to be above and below !

Tom Wiliams
08-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I've never even thought of photo crystal printing.