PDA

View Full Version : Developments in the background at the DSF

Justin
22-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I've taken the plunge and just ordered a virtual server package. I'll be making the transition across in the not too distant future but have a fair bit of work (and a very steep learning curve) before I do this.

The server will give us more space and flexibility to expand as and when we need to. Reliability will be far better and any downtime will be due to planned maintenance known well in advance.

I'll have far more control over everything and will now be working 25 hours a day rather than just the usual 24! :shock:

If anyone has any questions about all of this just give me a shout. I'll try my best to answer them.

Kaz
22-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Good luck with it Justin :D

bms
23-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Echo Kaz's comment. Plenty to keep you occupied! So what does a virtual server (as opposed to a 'real' sever) offer over and above what you have at the moment - I presume it is some space on a 'real' server shared with lots of other people?

JSR
23-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I'll have far more control over everything and will now be working 25 hours a day rather than just the usual 24! :shock:
Tell me about it... :roll: :lol:

Justin
23-09-2010, 07:36 PM
^Martin - More space, far better reliability/stability (with service guarantees) far more control over how things are done, security etc.

Virtual server gives almost all of the benefits of a dedicated at a fraction of the cost. It's one large server and you get your own dedicated portion of it that you control fully.

AJLA
24-09-2010, 01:13 PM

At least it will keep you out of trouble Justin :lol: :lol:

Justin
24-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh I can still find time for that Mandy.....teehee :twisted: